What caused this cymbal damage? Now a second rippled cymbal.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is what comes out of Ebay now as "undamaged" and normal wear and tear. The 90 degrees of edge rippling and dents was plenty by itself. But on the exact opposite side (180 deg) there is a light/dark streaky patch looking like a mountain range....ripply. 3 to 4 branches covering about a 4" by 7" area. In the middle branch a series of 7 light scrapes going out radially, stacked on each other. I'd say machine or heavy impact damage from something else metallic. It looks to me like the metal was compressed somewhat, post factory. Run your fingers over it and you feel the ridging.

And that patch has effectively acted like a sound deadener, no different than if there were a hole, crack, or chunk missing in that area. The pitch of the cymbal changes drastically as you tap that area....as if it weighed a couple hundred grams more. Sounds like a cracked or cut cymbal. Compression appears to do the same thing....or alternating areas of compression and relaxation.....not unlike over-hammering one particular area.

Sounds identical to a 20 inch ride I once owned with a 1" by 6" edge chunk missing. Very dark, dry, dead, almost no wash. Never seen a patch like this...on a stamped 50's A. Doesn't look at all like lathing chatter. And the patina has been scraped off on those rippled high points. Patch is easily visible and felt on both sides of the cymbal. The "pizza box" style of packaging was the cherry on top....but didn't result in any damage.

best 1.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
so you bought an antique..What era is that. Ok 50sA)

take some better pics it looks like a freaky

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like to think of those as stretched and distorted. It may have been a funky casting from the get go. A few similar have been noted. Zen would probably have the specs. I like it , my kind of cymbal, the ugly duckling usually sounds interesting and different.. The pack job is ridiculous , cheap bastid couldn’t throw down for a decent box and some bubble

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is sort of freaky and definitely different....but really only in that one area. I can sort of place my hand over that area and the 5 fingers sort of line up. Could this have been a hand print in the casting....like the "walk of fame?" With the patina rubbed off all the damaged areas of the cymbal, that suggested to me it wasn't factory....and maybe the edge waves and center compression ripples happened at the same time...post factory. Those light "finger print" spots at the edge are dents/waves.

When I had that 50's A ride with the chunk missing, I valued it at $35. This one probably around $65-$85 if you can find someone who likes deadish A rides. Weighs 2030 gms so I expected "better." I like at least a little "sizzle" with my over-tenderized steak. The seller did wrap the cymbal in the thinnest grade of bubble wrap. But would good would that 1-2 ml of "plastic protection" do on a concrete floor? Oddly, I've had dozens of horrendous cymbal packing jobs come to me from Ebay....and not once was any cymbal damaged...not even a new flea bite. So the USPS, FedEx, and UPS don't drop or toss these guys to "extremes" very often.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where's a picture of the Insignia /Trademark.

Could use some Comet and a nylon brush and begin to unearth it..
get rid of that masking tape..
let's get a move on here

what's it sound like with a Chain on it...
before we get out the drill :evil1:

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the cuts running radially outward across the tallest ripple... they cut across the grooves and mar them. That doesn't look like casting defects to me. It's a 50's small stamp....see photo. It is interesting that under 5X magnification that some of the fine tonal grooves do a sine wave up and down into the next closest groove....1-2 mm in movement. This only happens across the raised ridges. Won't remove any of the residual tape yet as this still may still go back to the seller. No doubt it would brighten up a tad with masking tape and patina gone....and even a chain on it. But that doesn't fix the dead/compression area in the middle.

IMG_20190809_183839.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
o yeah that don't look good...
You know where I saw those. In a K Custom Hybrid Smash Crash.

see them:
:
Was someone trying to duplicate that..
(thanks for the stamp picture CW)
Yes those marks from here, look like damage, by some amateur actor. May not affect sound.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well they could save a lot of money on that K....and buy this inexpensive A.

Seller accepted a return. So going back on Ebay in a couple weeks....hopefully with a better description than the first time around.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd buy it for $20. I got $35 for the same age/size cymbal with 6 square inches missing off the edge. Figured this is a bargain at $55. In any case the seller will take it back for $95 and that's too good to pass up. That's normally a good price for a 2000 gm 50's A 20"....except when dented "a lot."

JDA that's cool hammering on that K. It's similar to what I have though more closely spaced. I doubt they moved that much metal around when doing it. Does it even show on the back side? Hmm. My best guess is that my cymbal was left out in Little Anthony's "corn field" and was "picked up" by a John Deere Harvester.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ran into another of these "rippled" or "streaky" cymbals this past month....an 18" Azco Canada crash. The ripples are across the entire cymbal and can be felt with the fingers. Unlike the 50's one I discussed earlier, the tone on this one is not affected by these ripples. These look to be from the casting as there's no other sign of damage. This one should have been flagged by QA before leaving the factory. Regardless, it sounds pretty good as medium crash/ride (1490 gm).

IMG_20190926_123827.jpg

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've had several 50's As and even a 60's or two with those ripples. They really look wild. Cymbals sounded great though. I too received a cymbal in the mail this week that was packed in a flat box with no bubble wrap. I was shocked when it wasn't damaged....12" Vibra Zanchi splash.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've probably had a half dozen cymbals shipped to me the past year that were horribly packed....some actually poking out of the boxes when received. Yet, not one of them experienced any new damage. I guess cymbals are pretty robust and can take a beating. Now if they are run over by a fork truck, that could be problematic.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes it is. From the drivers seat that’s how she sits on the stand I think the big stamp is heavy!

here’s the belly shot
You can see imprint of the stamp from the backside it may reveal untold secrets !

145ADBCD-9F09-446D-AA29-6ED26AE0AC42.jpeg

BF969CF6-BE06-457F-BCCA-E5FA4F7D20D0.jpeg

B719361C-7851-47FE-9682-4139A5E0B851.jpeg

Last edited: