What cleaner to use for Bronze Drum?

dingaling

Reaction score
I just got a HLD 590 by sonor.

Good condition. There is a very minor amount of oxidation on the shell and the lugs and rims need to be polished.

Anyone have a recommendation for cleaner that would be safe?

Thanks

Attachments

bubo

Reaction score
I just got a HLD 590 by sonor.

Good condition. There is a very minor amount of oxidation on the shell and the lugs and rims need to be polished.

Anyone have a recommendation for cleaner that would be safe?

Thanks
Considering the condition seen in the pics i´d recommend to leave it as is,
safest cleaner would be NO cleaner...

For the lugs and hoops are electro-plated and the thickness of the copper layer is naturally in a range of just some micrometers, you´d probably do more damage to them instead getting them more cleaned.

Ptrick

Reaction score
I wouldn’t touch the hardware. That looks really good for it’s age.

For the shell, I was told by the owner of Duluth Brass on my cast bronze I could use scotchbright or a softer scrubbing pad (green dishwashing backside of a yellow sponge is what I used) going WITH the grain of the lathe lines (Horizontally) If you can’t see any lathe lines, might be best to leave it alone, unless you do the whole shell.

I might be tempted to just leave that one as is, though!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most brass and bronze drums have a clear lacquer coating and you don’t want to ruin it. The lugs, on the other hand, shouldn’t be coated, so a good metal cleaner, like Brasso should work. I’d go with the windex and microfiber cloth on the shell.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Good gosh look at that thing! I don't have anything to add, but curious how heavy it is!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was using Brasso on a cymbal tonite and it said it cleans both bronze and copper......just FYI. I have a Dunnett patina bronze snare that is killer so I would not clean that one or yours.....

polycrescendo

Reaction score
What a rare beauty. The last HLD-590 on Reverb was listed for 4500 and it was in way worse condition. I think yours is in great shape and the patina is gorgeous. I too would leave it alone, or maybe a very light cleaning.