What color for vintage Ludwig bop kit?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The peacock is interesting but not a Ludwig color to my (limited) knowledge?

The 12" wrap was just taped at the seam - very easy to remove. I don't like the feel of that wrap and will not use it. The outer layer is like a paper and it was tearing off the backing (?) - never seen that before. The shell is also rough but it is intact - just some minor re-ring gap issues and an easy fix.

I stacked the 3 naked toms together thinking, and I am very inclined to send off to Precision and just do a WMP/aged WMP......sort of a like a mini
Buddy "Poor" tribute kit. It's going to cost me $300+, though (more than I have into the entire kit right now). At least I already have a matching lightly aged (restored & rewrapped) WMP Jazz Fest that's lovely. But that is breaking the budget big time for this kit......which defeats the purpose of what I wanted to accomplish.

Thus, sadly, it's back to the thin, non-real drum wraps. I could also go naughahyde (vinyl) wraps - I did that once - but need to find a color...

Just think, all this time I could be just playing and not scheme-ing!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought that textured black wrap from Amazon and got it today. It looks great and feels great, but it is just way too thin. I've been working on trying to make the shells as smooth as possible. The 16 is nearly done as is the 12. The 14 needs a lot of work. I will also need to drilled lug holes for the 14 and 16 which is always a pain. I've got some parts still delayed thanks to USPS but will have them next week. I'm still on the fence about the hoops and whether to keep the metal ones I have or order wood ones. But I think I have the final color picked out and I have a snare that's coming too.....

Screenshot_20210109-144129.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at leather, suede and similar materials but don't want to glue those down.
I am digging tooled leather though......

Screenshot_20210110-095615.png