What color rewrap for Ludwig set

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
IF you were getting a '70s Ludwig 3 ply set that badly needed a rewrap... for RESALE, what color would you use? If I do this I'm pretty dead set on an original Ludwig color and the available sparkles are very close to the originals so I'm thinking green, gold or merlot.
What colorful do you think would sell for the most and / or quickest?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gold first ... then Merlot

I'm a schmuck when it comes to resale ... just never been plugged into the data correctly. Maybe I'm forgetting to carry the two or something, but I miss out on these more often than not.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
Black is classy! How many drums? If it’s just one mounted with a rail any sparkle or solid will be great, wmp and bdp are way overdone so you’re on the right track!

levelpebble

Reaction score
I think champagne would move the fastest. But the wrap costs more as well.

For those three colors listed - green.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I think the Merlot would go the quickest.
Opinions.......
Good luck & post progress picks.
Steve

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The champagne is more expensive and since, if I do this, the profit margin will be slim already, so I'm ruling out champagne (even though it's a good color for resale vintage stuff).
Black diamond is not my favorite, and it's one of the harder colors to sell.

Just got the set this morning... the wrap is toast. Got them from the original owner who said he got them new in '78. They have pointy blue olive badges... 3 serial numbers are 7 digit starting with 15xxxxx. 2 of the badges had no serial number except for a 3 digit scratch on. The set is 12 13 16 22 with pitted supra. The tempting thing is they have 3 ply clear interior shells. Not sure if I want to restore them or flip them as is...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd go blue sparkle, then green, gold and merlot. If the shells are nice, I'd actually stain them if mahogany, or if maple, do some sort of lightly "aged" finish.

Harris K.

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rich, if you're only interested in selling "for the most and / or quickest", consider one of the 'psychedelic' reissues/copies - psych red, mod orange or citrus mod - available at Bum Wrap and elsewhere. They could be a good compromise for someone who can't afford the real thing.

Tigerdrummer

Reaction score
Salesman rewrap like the Black Keys guy. That way you get all the sparkle colors. I have become a big fan of how those look

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
If I wanted a kit to play I wouldn't care if it was a re-wrap or not as long as it looked good. But.... alot of people after the vintage kits want original, for that reason I don't think you'll make your money back on the re-wrap but depending on how bad the kit is now might be the only way to move it...or there's always selling for the parts, if in bad shape might be the best way to go.

fibes3

Reaction score
White, Black, or Green sparkle have always looked good on Ludwig's.

Keep in mind I have very little imagination....my favorite ice cream is vanilla!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got a quote for a rewrap job. It was not cheap and a bunch of folks were interested in the drums "as is," so I'm going sell them instead of taking on the project

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good call.........................but I would have gone with the green