What constitutes a “complete” kit?

DoYouLikeHam

Reaction score
If you had a kit that had (Dia x Depth) Rack Toms: 8x7, 10x8, 12x9 Floor Toms: 14x12, 16x14, and Kick: 20x14, (and 14x6.5 snare) would you go out of your way to complete the set and get an 18"?

Would you get a kick or floor tom? What depth?

Why?

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I would add a bass drum, but I've been using two bass drums since 1969. And at 68 years old, my eyesight is poor enough that I'd get rid of the 8" tom simply because I'd have trouble accurately hitting it!

LBCD

Reaction score
Add a 22 x 14'' kick, I had an 18'' FT Big R Rogers and it was awesome but big adding to transporting issues and footprint issues.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, since my earlier post didn't get a reply: OCD is a serious disorder that can cause immense suffering for folks who have it. My son has it and watching him try to deal with it has been one of the most heartbreaking things in my life. Please, everyone, stop using "OCD" to mean fussiness or a desire for order. That's not what the disorder is.

I realize that a lot of folks don't realize this, so no judgment or anger to the OP. But please change the title of the post and do some reading about the disorder.

J-dubya

Reaction score
OK, since my earlier post didn't get a reply: OCD is a serious disorder that can cause immense suffering for folks who have it. My son has it and watching him try to deal with it has been one of the most heartbreaking things in my life. Please, everyone, stop using "OCD" to mean fussiness or a desire for order. That's not what the disorder is.

I realize that a lot of folks don't realize this, so no judgment or anger to the OP. But please change the title of the post and do some reading about the disorder.
While I do agree that the OP was misusing the term "OCD", I'm not sure that you fully understand what the disorder is. There are several types.
A desire for order IS indeed a type of compulsion. It falls in the category of "Symmetry & Arranging". There are also degrees of OCD.
I've done far more than just read about the disorder; I've lived with it, and lived with others suffering from it my entire life.
That being said, the misuse of the term does not offend me whatsoever.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
A desire for order IS indeed a type of compulsion. It falls in the category of "Symmetry & Arranging".
This type must be fairly common, because I've noticed numerous for sale ads, not just here, where items are meticulously arranged in a near perfect symmetry. Floor tom legs, cymbals turned to the same angles for the camera to highlight logos, and even the positioning and labels on drumsticks. It could be a sort of brand evangelism rather than clinical OCD. I'd guess the distinction is when it's an uncontrollable compulsion versus taking steps for something to be noticed.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I do agree that the OP was misusing the term "OCD", I'm not sure that you fully understand what the disorder is. There are several types.
A desire for order IS indeed a type of compulsion. It falls in the category of "Symmetry & Arranging". There are also degrees of OCD.
I've done far more than just read about the disorder; I've lived with it, and lived with others suffering from it my entire life.
That being said, the misuse of the term does not offend me whatsoever.
I know all about OCD and understand what you're saying. My wife's a psychology professor and I am trained as a counselor and know about the variations and manifestations of it both at a professional and personal level from needing to explain my son's condition to teachers, doctors, and the like.

Perhaps I was unclear in what I was saying. I am constantly hearing people who describe their own normal-range fussiness as OCD. That's what I object to. I suspect that, since you said the OP was misusing the term, we are basically in agreement. At any rate, I'm sorry you have to deal with it and hope you've found some productive ways of living with it.

I'm glad the misuse of the term doesn't offend you. It doesn't exactly offend me, either, but it's important to me to step up and say something.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those sound like great sizes to me, I would be happy with that. I like the wallop of a 22” kick but like how a 20” allows you to get your rack toms to a perfect height.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The third floor tom is probably not something you're going to take out of the house most of the time, at least at the local level.

I have a few kits with multiple floor toms and like when I am able to bring additional sound sources, but smaller venues sometimes don't have the space. Also, most of the music I'm hired to play doesn't necessarily call for a lot of drums. There's also the issue of transport. I can fit a kit with 3 in the front and 3 on the floor in the car (Prius), but that's going to mean at least 2 cart trips each way to the car, prolonging load in, set up, tear down and load up.

For maybe 90% of what I do, a 5 pc kit is plenty. I could be wrong, but I suspect that's typical for a lot of freelancers.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Gretsch USA Custom kit has 10", 12", and 13" toms 14" and 16" floor toms, 18", 20", 22", and 24" bass drums, and 5" and 6 1/2" deep matching snare drums. Currently I have an 18" floor tom, 4 1/2", and 5 1/2" deep matching snare drums on order.

An 8" tom, 16" and 26" bass drums are the only sizes that I don't either own or have on order.

Yes, it's a little over the top, but order the 18"!

Last edited:

J-dubya

Reaction score
I know all about OCD and understand what you're saying. My wife's a psychology professor and I am trained as a counselor and know about the variations and manifestations of it both at a professional and personal level from needing to explain my son's condition to teachers, doctors, and the like.

Perhaps I was unclear in what I was saying. I am constantly hearing people who describe their own normal-range fussiness as OCD. That's what I object to. I suspect that, since you said the OP was misusing the term, we are basically in agreement. At any rate, I'm sorry you have to deal with it and hope you've found some productive ways of living with it.

I'm glad the misuse of the term doesn't offend you. It doesn't exactly offend me, either, but it's important to me to step up and say something.

Anyway, back to the topic.
It sounds like we're on the exact same page. :thumbright:

I don't want to further hijack the ham query's thread, so I'll leave this as my last post here about OCD.

For those that are misusing the term (again, it doesn't bother me), what most people consider OCD when describing their fussiness is technically a form of OCPD (obsessive compulsive personality disorder). I won't go into the many overlap and differences between OCD and OCPD, but a part of what differentiates them is the degree of suffering, so to speak. To put it in overly simplistic terms, OCD can be very traumatic to the sufferer, whereas OCPD has more of a "it's normal to feel this way" feeling and is somewhat controllable. There are degrees of both. Fortunately, I'm in the OCPD category, but I've lived with people with"moderate OCD", which is no picnic even "only" being in the moderate scale. I've learned to control my OCPD to an extent, but it still can slow progress down via perfectionism. I've certainly learned to "let things go" more through the years.

I believe most people use it as a figure of speech, rather than a slight toward people that suffer; similar to "I'm blind without my glasses".

Now, back to the OP's dilemma of what size drums to purchase..........

J-dubya

Reaction score
A kick and a Floor tom are two separate items.
I just googled this to confirm, and guys, he's right!! A kick and floor tom are, indeed, two separate items. Who knew?
That's what I like about this forum; people are so helpful and informative.

But wait!!!............

GFTCCK-full-kit_kxk

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
would you go out of your way to complete the set and get an 18"?
Would you get a kick or floor tom?
A kick and a Floor tom are two separate function items.
What is your goal
Which is more important at the moment
to you
Adding a tom
or changing your bass drum set up.