What currently made three ply kit would you buy?

KillinBill66

Reaction score
I'd have to say Broadkasters since I have a kit. Great sounding drums. But I must admit that I find myself wondering if I would be better off with a more versatile kit, since this is my primary setup, and I only have one other kit.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say Broadkasters since I have a kit. Great sounding drums. But I must admit that I find myself wondering if I would be better off with a more versatile kit, since this is my primary setup, and I only have one other kit.
this is the point I sensed and expressed elsewhere recently and previously
concerning companies bringing back their old product;
I must add if going or wanting to go back/ the king back then were pretty much those mahogany Ludwigs before color television..

Last edited:

tomo221

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been lusting over the Legacy Mahogany drums for a while now … and I already own (and love) a Broadkaster! Both have a similar vibe, but the mahogany brings out more dark fuzziness than the maple, and that’s what I love about them. (The larger radius on the rounded edges probably helps with the darker sound, too.)

But Gretsch does have Ludwig beat on finish options. I’ll give you that.

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig Legacy fan too. I'd have trouble deciding between maple and Mahagony, but I think the maple variant would win out for me.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If Ludwig ever brings back black diamond pearl, I would strongly consider a kit in similar sizes to the the black galaxy kit you mentioned. I like the Ludwig thump.