What cymbals will you never part with?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to add my 18" Istanbul K old stamp (mid 50's) to my list. Sure it's a great cymbal, but I also love it because it was basically free. I got it from an auction house in a lot with a couple of other cymbals. I sold the other cymbals for what I paid for the lot, and kept the K.

Reactions: JDA

Lennykenard

Reaction score
The first two cymbals I ever bought after I started working and saved a few paychecks. 14” K Custom Dark Hats, and a 20” K Custom Dark Ride. Both made in 2006. Have probably played 100 shows with them.
Those and my Valkyrie Warlord snare. I told my wife to bury me with that when it’s my time. :)

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 22" K Heavy Ride, purchased new in 1988 is the only cymbal I own that is irreplaceable. Don't get me wrong — I love all my other cymbals, but they can all be replaced.

K_Heavy Ride.jpg

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The one that comes to mind immediately for me is my 20” Bosphorus New Orleans. In a pinch, I could probably play a light gig with just that cymbal. The voice is so perfect and controlled, but the crash is so nice. After that, it would be my K Rarities Dark Thin 19” crash ride.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
19" TRX dark with 3 rivets

20" Paiste pre- serial med. ride

11" Paiste Traditionals splash

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never say never.
I've had a few that I proclaimed "never" , did'nt sell them, I gave them away to my friend, a stuido owner.
He and his family have packed up and left Maryland, and now reside on the Left Coast, I may never see them or the cymbals again. I miss my friend and his wife, the cymbals, not so much.
So many cymbals, so little time.
I no longer have a keepsake view on my equipment, I look at them (drums, cymbals) as tools to get the job done.
I could get the job done with ZBT's, but I'd prefer to get it done with K's. Most audiences couldn't tell the difference if you were getting it done with rubbermaid lids.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste 2002 4" Accent. It´s such a cute cymbal, sounds cool as heck and doesn´t take up any real estate. If I ever stop playing I´ll put it on my key ring. :)

On a more serious note, my 18" SCDR - I dreamed of owning one of these as a teen (there was one at my local music store but I absolutely didn´t have the money) and only recently came across another one. Or maybe even the exact same cymbal since the seller was from my hometown. :bounce:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paiste 15” 602 ME Hihats - best hihats I have ever played .

Sabian Artisan 20” and 22” light ride and 19” crash - these were gifts from a drum brother and they have great sentimental value and ai love the sound of them .

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Paiste 15” 602 ME Hihats - best hihats I have ever played .

Sabian Artisan 20” and 22” light ride and 19” crash - these were gifts from a drum brother and they have great sentimental value and ai love the sound of them .
Everybody loves those 15” ME hihats. I have the 14’s and pretty happy with them.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most of them. Gear purchases are a one way trip for me.

healthie1

Reaction score
This is such an interesting read - lots of paiste 602s and old 24” zildjian rides.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The one cymbal I would never part with has actually been on permanent loan from a drummer buddy for a decade and is a 21" Bosphorus Turk flat ride with the sweetest stick definition, buttery feel and dark undertones that every musician I have played with just loves.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've bought and sold a ton of cymbals over the years, but the set pictured with my Rogers Headliner are keepers! All Zildjian A's except for the ride, which is a Sabian. The 14" New Beat hats and 16" thin crash were received new in 1969! The 20" Sabian AA ride sometime in the 80's and I honestly don't remember when I acquired the 17" paper thin crash! They all blend well together and I won't part with them!

-Mark

Attachments

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Get ready to laugh at me: 14" Sabian B8 hi-hats. (Not even the B8 Pro!)

Just used them on an album recording session in the studio today with a Metal AAX Ride, and two AAX Dark Crashes (and I'm tracking all day tomorrow with the B8s!). They're basic, kinda dull, they stay out of the mix, and for the type of rock that I'm playing, that's exactly what I want. I bought them used for like, $40 or something, many years ago. Listening back to the room mics, they sit exactly where I want them to sit in the mix.

So, which hi-hats stayed at home in their cymbal bags and didn't make it to the studio this weekend? Paiste Signature Mediums, Sabian AA Regulars, Sabian Manhattans, Zildjian Quick Beats, Soultone Vintages. Sorry dudes, better luck next time.

Look, sometimes cheap and simple wins the race.

Last edited:

311Club

Reaction score
All Paiste of course:
Sound Creation 14" Dark Medium Hi-Hat
3000 20" Flatride
Pre-serial 20" Giant Beat, 3 rivets
Signature 22" Thin China

Everything else would be negotiable should it ever get that far.
These 4 are very special and can be used for more or less everything. They are (very) hard to find, almost impossible to replace, so holding on to them simply is a necessity:)