What cymbals will you never part with?

roguefate

Reaction score
20" Abraxis Ride - I picked this guy up 1989 for around thirty bucks and never took it off my kit.

13" Zildjian Dyno-Beat Hi-Hats - Wouldn't trade these for the world. Or, maybe I would but then I would just buy another set!

kevinyarger

Reaction score
Even though I have moved on from Zildjian recently I will never part with my 20" K Heavy ride, sure you can find a bunch for sale but my parents got me this one and to this day it is the only cymbal wrote my name under the bell.
I also have a 18" A China Low that Grandmother gave me when I was young and I'll never part with it as well.

Other than that, everything else is fair game. It's never that I don't like the cymbal if I'm selling it, it's just that I am not using it enough to justify keeping it.

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score
I notice some cymbals I’ve had my eyes on don’t come up often on the used Market, and one guy at a drum shop said gear is sold because the person selling it doesn’t like it - hence the reasoning of buying new ;).

what cymbals do you own that you’d never part with?

mine are an 18” ZILDJIAN PADLR an 14” hollow logo new beats.
People also sell because they need the money for whatever reason, or maybe their needs change. I know my ears have changed, but that supports the "don't like" reasoning. I've got piles of old Zildjians and Paistes once loved I can't listen to any longer.

As for what I don't believe I will ever sell, that would be my modest collection of Bosphorus Turks, Masters Turks and New orleans. I love them so much I haven't bought a new cymbal in more than a decade, and I was/am a cymbalholic long before it was a known malady and listed in the DSM5. I hear all kinds of stuff I like; some of those are novel; some of those are truly spectacular; some would fill a WANT for me; none of them would break my starting lineup.

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am a diehard Paiste guy. However, I wandered into a used gear store one afternoon about 15 years ago and saw an 18” Zildjian crash. No ink on it, a dark dirt layer (not a patina....just like a lot of dirt and dust.) I paid like 50 or 75 bucks for it. Got it home, “cleaned” it off and put it on the kit. My gosh, it is the smoothest, most musical crash I had heard. I have bought and sold Paiste, Ks and other Zildjians over the years, but this one stays with me. It mixes well with my various set ups and is the sweet orphan that my grandkids will inherit. (My son and daughter play guitar and bass respectively) Guess I should find the stamp on it and try to decipher what era it is from. I suspect the late 60s/early 70s, but it doesn’t matter. The TONES out of that thing I just love.

Vicey

Reaction score
A Paiste Innovations crash, just because it's the most interestingly weird cymbal I've ever played. Almost never gig it, but I've used it in studio work. 16" but sounds like a low-pitched splash.

Also my Signature Dry Dark Ride, just cause the bell is so great.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a diehard Paiste guy. However, I wandered into a used gear store one afternoon about 15 years ago and saw an 18” Zildjian crash. No ink on it, a dark dirt layer (not a patina....just like a lot of dirt and dust.) I paid like 50 or 75 bucks for it. Got it home, “cleaned” it off and put it on the kit. My gosh, it is the smoothest, most musical crash I had heard. I have bought and sold Paiste, Ks and other Zildjians over the years, but this one stays with me. It mixes well with my various set ups and is the sweet orphan that my grandkids will inherit. (My son and daughter play guitar and bass respectively) Guess I should find the stamp on it and try to decipher what era it is from. I suspect the late 60s/early 70s, but it doesn’t matter. The TONES out of that thing I just love.
It doesn't have to be pretty to sound great.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I had an A. Zildjian 16" Thin Crash, made in the mid 60s, that would just SING! Also, an A. Zildjian 20" Medium Ride, that was a little heavier than most mediums. I haven't found another one like it. Unfortunately, they went with the whole drum set I sold in '74.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It can be hard to find one but when you get a great Zildjian there's nothing like them.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me it’s my Paiste blue label 602 18” China type. This cymbal sounds so beautiful that sometimes I sit down at the kit and just play this cymbal. With mallets, brushes, sticks, it just sounds awesome!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Late 70's? Zildjian A Heavy Rock Ride - been offered over $600. Nope.
Zildjian A Rock Rides are plentiful and pretty cheap. If someone offered me $600 I would laugh all the way to the bank, then feel incredibly guilty for ripping the guy off while I ate a nice steak dinner that night. Just being honest.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The current made stuff could be replaced, but still, once you find a good Zildjian, you hang onto it.

On some of these I’ve gone through several to get the right one. But I ain’t parting with my K Dark Medium and a crash of doom. Had several of those, but these are it. Otherwise, I’m keeping my vintage Ks and probably the As too. I have some really nice old A thin hi hats....not parting with those.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A set of Zildjian 14" New Beats my mom bought for me new in the mid 80's. She had to save for a while to be able to afford them. They were my pride and joy and I will never get rid of them.

A set of Zildjian Rarities K Dark Thins.
14" hats, 19" Crash/Ride, and a 22" ride. They are beautiful cymbals and the first cymbals I bought myself. I bought them through Memphis Drum Shop and each cymbal was recorded being demonstrated by Paul Francis and Leon Chiapinni which is pretty cool!

Sprice

Reaction score
Everything I own has to play well with my small bell Sabian Carl Allen signature ride or it goes. It has almost a flat ride sound and feel but it crashes really well. I've never come across anything like it.

GrandfatherOdin

Reaction score
20” Paiste 2002 flat ride from 1976
16” Paiste Traditional thin crash - Gen 1 etched logo
18” Paiste Traditional thin crash
I second the Paiste trads. I have a 16 and 18 thin as well, also a 20 med-heavy ride and 13/14 med-light hats