what did i just buy? UFIP related

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score

says it weighs about 3lbs.

I'm excited...I have a lower level UFIP that was labeled Ascend (LP)...and looks just like an Atlas...and that's a great general cymbal. This looks like a better instrument.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
That looks like an old-timer!
Unique bell and hammer markings, too.
Post more about it's sound on arrival, please.

Reactions: dtk

cdrummer

Reaction score
It's a Vibra Zanchi, which was one of the Italian cymbal makers that was eventually merged into UFIP. These are really great hand-hammered cymbals made in the ~1950s. For $30, that's an amazing deal!

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
It's a Vibra Zanchi, which was one of the Italian cymbal makers that was eventually merged into UFIP. These are really great hand-hammered cymbals made in the ~1950s. For $30, that's an amazing deal!
You were tricked by eBay URL redirection into seeing the Vibra Zanchi which is currently for sale. The cymbal in question is an 18" UFIP from the 1950s. It might be earlier but I don't have strong evidence for a first year of use for that trademark stamp. That trademark stamp is called the "Pyramid stamp". The Est. 1847 refers to the year when they started out casting church bells. Pinksterboer in The Cymbal Book (p164) mentions early cymbals around 1910. And 1931 (also the name of a new UFIP series) was the formation year for the cooperative Unione Fabbricanti Italiani Piatti.

I've got two very similar ones in the 50cm diameter. They are gravity cast in a near vertical mold in the shape of a cymbal. Many people still claim Rotocast (horizontal spinning mold) for 1950s and 1960s Italian cymbals but that didn't come into use until the mid 1970s. UFIP cymbals from this era have that characteristic overhammering (hammering post lathing), quite vertically sided bells (which are very thick), and my two have wafer thin edges and quite low profiles (bow curvature). If you play them in the middle of the bow they are rides, if you play them near the edge they open up as crashes in a light breeze. I'd expect your 18" to be slightly undersized as well (they are metric and close to inch sizes but not exact so expect 17.7" not exact 18" diameter) and to be quite light. So 3 lbs (aka 1360g) fits in with that. My two are 1725g and 1675g which is at the lighter end of the range for 20" cymbals if you are used to the 1980s weights. They don't seem as light if you compare them to other cymbals from the 1950s. It's all about context.

Sounds: http://black.net.nz/cym2012/twofips.mp3

Sights:

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, for $30 bucks... your golden! Looking forward to your review after it arrives.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
The UFIP was $20 plus shipping. The $30 plus shipping is the current price of the 20" Zanchi. These older Italian cymbals don't get much price love, I presume because the cymbal buying public doesn't really know about them. But $20 or $30 are great "try it out" prices. I don't monitor old Italian cymbal prices and weights with the same amount of effort I put into old As, Old Ks, old Paistes, etc. but I will eventually produce a proper timeline plus prices and weights. That is presuming I am able to continue my research work long enough. I'm getting vintage myself. :glasses8:

Last edited:

cdrummer

Reaction score
You were tricked by eBay URL redirection into seeing the Vibra Zanchi which is currently for sale.
Doh! I definitely was not paying attention there. On the plus side, I just picked up the Zanchi as I couldn't pass on that price!

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Doh! I definitely was not paying attention there. On the plus side, I just picked up the Zanchi as I couldn't pass on that price!
Great grab. I would have done that except that I'm in New Zealand and it would cost a crazy amount to ship it here. Now that the Zanchi Vibra has gone the URL redirection has change a bit for the 18" UFIP. Let's see if these URLs do a better job of getting there so people can still see them for a month or two at least:

Here is the original 18" UFIP: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-UFIP-Cymbal-18-Made-In-Italy-Cymbal-Est1847/123757034997?hash=item1cd07e7df5:g:MZ0AAOSwifBczwJR

And the 20" Zanchi Vibra: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zanchi-F-F-Vibra-20-cymbal-Repaired-Made-in-Italy-UFIP-1894-Grams-/293074056143?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

cdrummer

Reaction score
Great grab. I would have done that except that I'm in New Zealand and it would cost a crazy amount to ship it here.
That must be an amazing place to live! Seems that there's quite a happening music scene as well from what I've heard.

Latest posts