What Did the Rush Duo Think of Primus Playing "A Farewell to Kings" Live?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Visitalite Black saw Primus play Rush's "A Farewell to Kings" in its entirety in April 2021 and loved everything about the performance, including the set of Primus material.

Also, The Sword killed it as the opener -- and I'm quite stoked to see Clutch and The Sword this week.

Anyway, the Primus "A Farewell to Kings" tour finally made it to YYZ (Toronto), and Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson attended.

Before we get to reaction from actual members of Rush, let's review a few comments from DFOers from when I posted about this last year.

"These performances are abysmal. Of interest MAYBE to Hardcore Primus and Rush fans only but I don't get why they're even doing this at all. The vocals are terrible and even the music sounds shaky."​
"Listened to two minutes of the video. So many mistakes already. No thanks."​
"There goes my respect for Primus....not even going to bother....A Farewell to Primus...."​
Hopefully, those commenters will reveal themselves after reading what Geddy Lee said to Loudwire: "We sat side stage as they immaculately worked through a cool selection of classic Primus tunes which brought back fond memories of our touring together back in the early 90’s and then we were treated to the weird and wonderful experience of watching them perform our music: A Farewell to Kings in it’s entirety ... "Totally nailed it! They did us proud and we thank them deeply for the tribute and the lasting friendship."

Read More: What Did Geddy Lee Think After Seeing Primus Perform Rush Tribute | https://loudwire.com/geddy-lee-thou...kings/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Primus is not a Rush tribute band. Their recitation of A Farewell to Kings was a tribute from 3 guys who love Rush, and were already in a famous band. Claypool can't sing anything like Geddy, and that's what immediately sets people off.
I thought that instrumentally, they did a fantastic job. I've heard tribute bands that don't come close.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn’t swing , meh ………

What happened to the smiley face emoticons ???

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of either band, even if I have a certain amount of respect for both. I think that this sort of thing though highlights an issue with the kind of music that both bands play. With these bands and most of their contemporaries, the music just isn't designed with much room for interpretation. It's not so much about the "song" so much as the performance of the song that makes it what it is and because all of the little details in the music may end up being even more important than the melodies, harmonies, lyrics, etc anyone who attempts to interpret the music is expected to hit every one of those little details. It then unfortunately doesn't leave much room for a creative interpretation and the folks who get the most credit for playing it best are the ones who are actually the least creative with it, who can nail it closest to a note for note rendition...

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unfortunately some people have a bad taste in music and some cant decipher when there is actual talent. They're too used to hearing it one way. Usually they're the same people who claim Oasis or Bon Jovi is the best band ever :icon_lol:.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I was going to go see this show in CT when the pandemic hit, and everything was cancelled. I did not catch them when they came back around and was sorry to have missed it. What a great tribute. I remember when Primus opened for Rush on the Roll the Bones tour. Great stuff!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to go see this show in CT when the pandemic hit, and everything was cancelled. I did not catch them when they came back around and was sorry to have missed it. What a great tribute. I remember when Primus opened for Rush on the Roll the Bones tour. Great stuff!
Tommy Shaw band opened in OKC , yukk

Was that the last tour Rush used opening bands ??