What Do I Do With a Practice Pad

Trommeslager

Reaction score
I teach drums to myself, mostly black metal, of course. Some death metal. Also grindcore (side project).

Now, I take sheep to the spring meadow on mountain with no drums or electric. I dont' bring drums on ATV, but have practice pad.

What do I practice? I great at my music, but I barely know a paradiddle. What to do on pad to build speed and add to my sound? I have much time after sheep go in pen for night.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Singles, Doubles and Paradiddles. If you can get them sorted at all tempos by the end of spring, you’d be set, and I’d be surprised.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, take a metronome too.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am sure you are a superior player to me given what you play. I work on accents, rebound, and more stick control type things. And of course the good ole weak hand and grip things. I know that is boring but at any level if you get your fundamentals as habit then your results improve when you play

Rudy Mints

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All you need is a Pad, a Metronome (free smart phone app), the Percussive Arts Society's "40 Rudiments" (print out free from their website), and George Lawrence Stone's, Stick Control for the Snare Drummer (often called "The Grey Book").

You can also do all the Stick Control exercises with your feet as well.

That'll keep you busy for a life time.

Regards, Rudy

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Second what the others said.

If you get bored with Stick Control rudiments, put some music on you like and practice them along to the music.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I teach drums to myself, mostly black metal, of course. Some death metal. Also grindcore (side project).

Now, I take sheep to the spring meadow on mountain with no drums or electric. I dont' bring drums on ATV, but have practice pad.

What do I practice? I great at my music, but I barely know a paradiddle. What to do on pad to build speed and add to my sound? I have much time after sheep go in pen for night.
Here Buddy try this :

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
DAMN APRIL FOOLS AND I GOT CAUGHT

the part about the sheep should've tipped me off

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stick Control and working on left hand comping with The Pattern. I also use it for a drink table when i'm not playing it. (See Avatar)

Trommeslager

Reaction score
DAMN APRIL FOOLS AND I GOT CAUGHT

the part about the sheep should've tipped me off
True, sheep farm is not best job, but it pretty good for musician. I get practice when sheeps in pen, and there is no boss on mountain. When yearlings butchering for midsommar, I have much time for metal fest season here in Slovak Republic and our tour of Poland, Austria and Belaruss! 5 week.
You probably hear of Gothoom Fest in Revistske Padzamcie? WitchFire to be houseband in village 10 KM away. We play six hours when busy. Svart Crown, FleshCrawl, and Ankona to all be there.