What Do I Have Here?

drumstuff66

Reaction score
I picked this 16" crash at Music Go Round today for $29.99 (it actually measures just under 16")...the hammered look caught my eye. I've been looking for a "trashy, china-ey, efxie" type cymbal - either to use on it's own or be part of a stack - this weighs 1023g and has a dark, funky sound - exactly what I was looking for. There are no ink stamps or dye stamps. Looks polished. The guy at MGR called it a "cheapo cymbal from china", but I wonder...

I was thinking at just under 16" and no ink/logo stamps it may have been cut down from a larger cymbal?

Hoping a pair of more expert eyes could see something I'd never see?

Thank you!

Attachments

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ran into some looking like those....about $6 to $15 each. Thought they might be Dreams with the logos polished off because of all the hammering. But they were real trashy and low end....despite the "look."

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed with these cheap heavily hammered cymbals from China. I'd guess with a little bit of searching, you could outfit a perfectly respectable jazz kit with them for about $100, and it would probably sound better than a lot of kits I've seen at jazz jams.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last two pics show the results of a "Red Devil" , that's ash, soot, cinder, or impurity that got rolled into the casting during production. No ink, no stamp is probably because it failed QC.
I agree with the rest of you, looks Asian.
Sounds good, enjoy it!

Another example of a Red Devil here, https://www.drumforum.org/threads/hand-hammered-cymbal-is-flaking.48408/

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a set of Zildjian 50's A 13" high hats, or that's what they supposedly were!

Turns out they were modern Chinese hats....very similar to yours with hammering, that lathing, the dents & the center hole. They are very thin, trashy and funky (I use them with my suitcase kit)....but not worth the $80 I paid.........of course the seller plead ignorance........

Latest posts