What do we have here?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looks like a Slingy bass (might even be a 12x18 tenor turned on it's side...note the keyholder) and the tom looks Leedy-ish to me. Plus some sort of Ludwig snare drum. Definitely worth a look see.

cruddyeye

Associate in Charge of Something
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the bass drum because of the key holder. There is also some kind of bracket on it down near the spur. I've never seen a 12x18 tenor, didn't even know they existed. Large tom is MIJ for sure. I would sure like a chance to check them out, if I get a call back.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 12x18 tenor from the RK era...wood hoops, small lugs, key holder, looks pretty much just like that.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Bummer. No telling if someone here got them or not, but don't ever post an ad you're looking at. No telling who's reading on the www.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Tough break,
That almost had to be a 12x18 tenor, that was the largest size tenor they made at the time (so it's not a 20" and the wrong lugs for a factory bass drum). Could have made a nice RK "jazzette" bass drum for someone. Hopefully whomever snagged them has a clue what they got and will act accordingly.

cruddyeye

Reaction score
Bummer. No telling if someone here got them or not, but don't ever post an ad you're looking at. No telling who's reading on the www.
Believe me...I thought about it. I wasn't dead set purchasing this stuff though. Not like the 35 L&L super that turned up on CL. I didn't tell anyone, left work, got a jump for my dead battery, drove to the ATM and left it running while I got the cash. Drove an hour, left the car running while I made the deal and headed back to work. I'm secretly glad that this lot was sold, because I'm trying to buy a house and shouldn't be buying anything! well, almost anything.

cruddyeye

Reaction score
Tough break,
That almost had to be a 12x18 tenor, that was the largest size tenor they made at the time (so it's not a 20" and the wrong lugs for a factory bass drum). Could have made a nice RK "jazzette" bass drum for someone. Hopefully whomever snagged them has a clue what they got and will act accordingly.
That little "bass" drum sure got my attention. I was thinking "what the heck?" Did they even make an 18 back then? maybe a 20? I'm going to look for one of these from now on. It would be big-time coolsville to have a RK Jazzette!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I once had an earlier Slingerland 12 x 18 10 tube lug drum that I used as a bass drum. It sounded awesome, but when I wrapped it I couldn't get heads on it.

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like someone over at the VDF got them. The BD is a 16" converted tenor, snare is still a mystery:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=29019

cruddyeye

Reaction score
Whoever got them now has snare back up on CL. New heads and wires for 220. Still not sure what model this is.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/2948616832.html

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looks like the RK "bop" bass is back up for grabs too.

I'm not sure on that snare, looks like a six lugger. I'd think it's a newer student or Rocker COW model (80's 90's) with some old WFL parts attached but I don't know 100% for sure that WFL didn't make a straight sided metal snare like that at some point in the early to mid 50's.

cruddyeye

Reaction score
The tom is mentioned in the snare ad as being for (re)sale. Looks like he's just keeping the 16 inch Slingy Tenor (bass drum) though. I've seen a couple of 18 inch tenors on ebay, that would make a great bop bass drum since seeing this ad. There is a 50's slingy and also an L&L single tension. I think I'm going to make it my next project, finding one and converting it. Right now though my effort$ going into a house purchase. If anybody picks one of them up, I would sure like to see a discussion about it.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think I'm going to make it my next project, finding one and converting it. Right now though my effort$ going into a house purchase. If anybody picks one of them up, I would sure like to see a discussion about it.
I have one. I still have plans for it but one problem is it's a duco drum so there isn't room to add wrap. I even bought some 18" American Vintage but it would still be too tight. Of course I could go the lacquer route with it. It's been on the back burner for quite a while. I'll get to it sometime as I paid a pretty good chunk of change for it on ebay. I think a couple of other guys had the same idea about what to do with it.

Latest posts