What do you consider "thin"?

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I hear the term thrown around a lot, and was just wondering what qualifies a wood shell as "thin"??

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I hear the term thrown around a lot, and was just wondering what qualifies a shell as "thin"??
...one that isn't thick? :p
I'm sure everyone has their own interpretation, but for me, personally, anything under 7mm would be "thin".
However, I might consider anything between 7 and 9mm as "medium" and anything over 9mm would be "thick".
Again, JMHO.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...one that isn't thick? :p
I'm sure everyone has their own interpretation, but for me, personally, anything under 7mm would be "thin".
However, I might consider anything between 7 and 9mm as "medium" and anything over 9mm would be "thick".
Again, JMHO.
Shucks, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I don't know mm's....can you translate to inches please?

For me, 1/8th" or 3/16" is thin. 1/4" is sorta medium. Anything over that is starting to get thick.

BTW, I like the sound of "thick" shells, but just don't want to carry them around any more...

Good topic....

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I guess I was primarily thinking about wood shell toms, but really just wood shell drum sets in general. Elvis's opinion was just what I was looking for, and also pretty much the same as mine.

I just often hear shells described as "thick" or "thin", but rarely is there ever an actual measurement mentioned.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Shucks, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I don't know mm's....can you translate to inches please?

For me, 1/8th" or 3/16" is thin. 1/4" is sorta medium. Anything over that is starting to get thick.

BTW, I like the sound of "thick" shells, but just don't want to carry them around any more...

Good topic....
Google could be your friend, if you'd let it into your life --> https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=SDwDXejjEY-V8AOR7a34Dg&q=convert+millimeters+to+inches&oq=convert+mill&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0..0.0..107...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.QcUPXhqfpis

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I guess I was primarily thinking about wood shell toms, but really just wood shell drum sets in general. Elvis's opinion was just what I was looking for, and also pretty much the same as mine.

I just often hear shells described as "thick" or "thin", but rarely is there ever an actual measurement mentioned.
No hard/fast rules in music. A lot of it is marketing speak, so variables rule the day.
Just like wood descriptives. I learned a while back that the term "All Maple" is legal speak for a composite laminated shell that contains Maple plies, but does not necessarily have to be completely comprised of Maple.
"100% Maple" however has to be completely comprised of Maple.
Marketing and legalities. It's what makes the world go around.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, actually, I don't think Google wants to be my "friend." I think they want to profit off of me. But I do agree they're a good resource.

But I'm kinda challenged in the math department, and I've looked at your link, and poked around a bit, and I still don't understand, so maybe YOU could be my friend and help me understand.

Thanks,

kb

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mm=millimeter: Some shells are 6ply/6mm (Sonor beech for example?). If you take a look at the plies you get an idea what 1mm means. Many shells use a different ply thickness (plus the glue), for example the classic Pearl 7.5mm 6ply shell.
I'd agree the latter is already on the medium to thick side. Thin to me would be under 6mm for wood shells. With metal snares, there are a lot of 1.2mm shells, that's actaually quite thin but it's also standard, so not many people would call it a "thin metal shell".

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Well, actually, I don't think Google wants to be my "friend." I think they want to profit off of me. But I do agree they're a good resource.

But I'm kinda challenged in the math department, and I've looked at your link, and poked around a bit, and I still don't understand, so maybe YOU could be my friend and help me understand.

Thanks,

kb
You didn't see the giant converter at the top of the page?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Milestone shells were the thinnest and lightest . Very rigid too .

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
The INDe shells are are 4.3mm, or just under 3/16". I haven't seen too many thinner, and wouldn't trust anything thinner without reinforcement rings!

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I have enjoyed re-reading this article as a reference, from Modern Drummer. I’m sure it contains its share of over-generalizations, but I think it gives not only a thickness scale you’re looking for, but also good hows and whys behind the different thicknesses.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Good topic....
There are 25.4 mm per inch. Can you picture that? So a 1/8" shell is a little over 3 mm.
3.175mm to be exact. A 3/16" shell would be a hair over 4 3/4 mm.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Think thin - the "word" thin- started with Gretsch 6 ply (no ring) shell. Others were a maybe thin 3 ply , but had thick rings top and bottom.
Then Tama Starclassic re-copped the "thin" thing..
maybe Sonor 60s (also) had a thin no ring shell the same time as Gretsch.
So Gretsch started it. Like they did everything else. Just about. And everyone eventually followed.

So I think (...) the word "thin" started with -the beginning of an un-supported 6 ply shell ( no re -ring)
(excepting the prior 3 ply 40s Gretsch no ring shell) (lemme get back to you on that) ( most/some had rings)
It wasn't until that 6 ply the word "thin" was invented-promoted- for drum verbatage or nounage.
Anymore difficult twisting q's?

Last edited:

Barden

Reaction score
I've never seen anything in wood thinner than the older keller six ply shells that I have. ~4mm

An old video I shared with you all in a different thread:
you get to hear some of what thin does.

Latest posts