What do you do when you see the most beautiful drum you've ever seen...

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also thought you were talking about a drum set that’s probably $2000k+.
If it is a snare and won’t set you back considerably or affect your financials I’d say get it. If it is something you can get any time I wouldn’t rush to get it.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to sort of agree with Nacci. Sometimes the dream of ownership is greater than ownership itself. Especially if your not sure you can afford it.

It might be really cool to have it, but in 3 or 6 months, it’s just a drum and your left wondering why you spent the money you didn’t really have on it. Just MHO...
I have to agree. It's happened to me more than a few times.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it is super expensive. I guess I don't care if I share it or not. It is what it is and if someone else winds up with it so be it.

I've been casually searching for a 6.5 maple snare because it is one thing I don't own. I have a 5x14 Classic Maple and a 5.5 Mahogany jazzfest that matches my kit but I don't really own any deeper snares. So I stumbled across an Inde 6.5 maple on Reverb in the blue and black oyster sparkle finish I'm completely drawn to. I know I could order one direct from them at some point in the future that would cost me a bit more based on the prices posted on the website so part of what has me strongly debating it now is the price.

It's not like it is some super expensive A&F kit or anything like a $1000+ snare drum. It's pretty moderately priced and I'm just debating if I "should" spend the money on it right now.
I'll tell you what. I have an INDe 6.5x14 maple snare and although this goes against popular opinion around here, it is one of my least favorite, least played snares. When I do break it out, after about a week at most, I grow tired of trying to dial it in because it doesn't happen. I tried everything most drummers would think of but it's not the drum for me.

Since you haven't played the drum and are basing your desire for it on the reputation of the company and what you've been told, I'm totally gonna veto this one off my desk. I think the magic must live in INDe kits, because that snare does very little for me and I bought it based on reputation just like you're thinking you might. Hard pass.

Luckily I paid quite a bit less than full price for it, when they were being blown out as demos.

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
I'd probably (I would) pass on the INDE drum and buy the solid shell Summit snare drum for sale from this forum
It's a 14x6 too. I feel you'd be getting a more unique and desired drum as well. I love solid shell drums, have 2 Craviottos.
A maple 5x14 & 6.5x14 solid shell. Love them

DaveB

Reaction score
Unless you're planning on living more than one lifetime, or you aren't going to starve or missed bills, why not. You can always sell it on if it doesn't work out.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the money its not worth financing, that debt will still be there after the thrill is gone. If you don't have the money don't buy it. Simple.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only person who has to love the drum is you. If you feel wrong about spending the money right now, I'd wait a little bit so that the drum has no negative feelings attached. It's not one of a kind, and I don't think INDe is going anywhere soon. You can have that drum when the time is right for you.

Last edited:

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have found that the the rare drums and percussion I still value and cherish the most are the ones that "dropped into my lap" when I wasn't looking.
BTW: what's the going rate on a Kidney these days?

Jay Epstein

Reaction score
Easy: I bought it many years ago. 3rd Smartest thing I ever did.
Slingerland Radio King Capri Pearl 5.5x14" Solid Maple Snare
And yes, I put a Gretsch Die Cast on top.
Slingerland Radio King Capri Pearl 5.5x14 Solid Maple Snare.jpg

drums1225

Reaction score
I saw this picture of the Tama STAR Maple in Ocean Blue Curly Maple 2 years ago and was totally knocked out by it. I asked Santa Claus, but he didn't come through. They were way out of my price range, and I wasn't even in the market for another kit. Actually, I was looking to thin the herd, but I hadn't been as excited about a new drum kit in over 30 years, so I started thinking about how to make it happen without hitting my savings too hard. About 6 months later, I pulled the trigger and placed the order with a 50% downpayment.

Tama Star Maple_OceanBlueCurlyMaple_001.jpg

I raised the downpayment by selling one of my Starclassic Maple kits, using gift cards (that I had been hoarding until I could figure out what to spend them on), and a significant number of credit card rewards points. I ended up having 8 months to come up with the balance. The fact that it's also tax deductible knocks a chunk off the real price, too. Where there's a will, there's a way.

The kit arrived in Feb., just a month before the world went sideways, and I must say it has helped to keep my morale up through this dark time. No regrets. Your mileage may vary.

20200427_STAR Maple_NewConfig.jpg

Last edited: