What do you guys think about this odd Ludwig snare?

ludtubs

Reaction score
Perplexin'!!! If it wasn't for that particular badge being on that particular shell, I'd say someone made a mutt. And that's assuming the badge is original/factory-installed. I'm guessing someone replaced that tone control, as to my knowledge, Luddy didn't have any like that. But otherwise, very interesting! Can't wait to see what others think.

M

Mo Tonkie

Looks like an imported steel Ludwig. Not a supra nor an acrolite.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mo Tonkie said:
Looks like an imported steel Ludwig. Not a supra nor an acrolite.
If the muffler is stock, that indeed looks to be the case.

I will add though - that it very well may still sound killer. Two identical drums can be made in 2 different countries and still be identical. Meanwhile, even a steel snare can sound great.

lordkoos

Reaction score
The other thing that looks odd to me is the butt plate, never seen one like that on a Ludwig, but I'm not that familiar with the imported stuff. Also wonder, looking at the bottom head, if maybe it isn't a Yamaha steel snare with Ludwig parts on it, or a Supralite that someone messed with? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through though, since it's not worth much $ in the first place. I'll report once I have the drum here.

M

Mo Tonkie

The only thing that looks out of place is the strainer. The imported Ludwigs I've seen typically don't have a P85.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
Looks like a Ludwig LM300 (imported, steel shell) that someone has swapped the bowties for Imperials.

Trev

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The muffler certainly looks MIJ to me. I have the same on one of my Tama Imperialstar toms. The badge indicates a Rocker though, doesn't it? Interesting...

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
That's a 300 series steel and yeah, that's the right muffler. It's a recent bottom of the line drum, last 10 years or so.

I have an LM306 Bronze drum that is actually quite good.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Defiantly an aftermarket muffler. looks like a supra phonic LM400 shell with jazz fest bow tie lugs hodge podge!