header.nohb.html

What do you love about your DWs?

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
It also depends on what kind of DW you have.

After three regular maple kits from the 80's, 90's, and 00's (non Keller), I got the Maple Mahogany and that was a total different beast which had basically more of everything the others had.

65849254-1E18-4E35-BEEB-34F7AA4123E0.jpeg

It loved Evans heads btw. I never cared for the original clear coated heads on all those kits (those would wear out with in a few months) nver should have sold it. Oh well.

What I don’t like is the chrome plating, the tube thinness (dents easy)and the thinness of the protective laquer (scarches easy, compared to other brands)

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have four kits, from 2005 - 2018, one being a shell pack. They are extremely consistent and easy to tune. I find a lot of tonal options depending on head selection and tuning, though they do seem to like low tuning specifically. That’s cool as that tuning is in vogue with most contemporary styles of music; specifically when mic’d. From a business standpoint I’ve had more DW rentals than probably every other brand I own combined. I do see that trend changing a bit now as there are increasing requests for Gretsch and Ludwig. Historically Yamaha has been second behind DW.

To me, they are just very well made drums. Lots of available low end and the hardware just works.
Cool, thanks.

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a Performer kit for my last Las Vegas shows with Reba and Brooks & Dunn. It was the side by side videos online that led to the purchase....and I wanted something shiney! Got the bronze sparkle in 10,12,13,14 and 20.

Tonight is show number 2 of 9. I'm only using the 13,14 and 20. I can honestly say these puppies can't be tamed. In a good way. I'm really digging the t-rods they use.

Have a great weekend everyone!
cheers and blessings, Trey

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Haven't made a final decision yet, but if I can't find a good vintage shell pack for cheap, I may actually get DW's or PDP's for my next set despite my Ludwig fetish. Honestly, I have a hard time hearing the difference between DW's and PDPs, all other things being equal. I like that DW's easily go anywhere tonally that you want to go, and I love DW/Camco lugs. I also love their finishes.

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
‘91 Keller shelled set for me. There’s simply nothing I don’t like about them.
Also have a Tempus set that can easily cover the low end “Magic” (?) of DW, but are larger sizes and the DW 8,10,12,14,20 covers 99% of what I’m hired for.

2 words-Jazz Series. You're welcome

A friend has a Cherry set that I’ve played. Great sound but LOUD. Big stage, outdoors?….perhaps, but my thoughts are in a small club or restaurant setting, bring your best hands.

Phil

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I love about my DW’s:

1) The sound. IMHO easy to tune and they sound great! I’ve had more sound guys tell me that they are the best sounding drums they have ever miced up.

2) The way they look. I own 2 finish ply (Deep Blue Oyster, BlueGlass) and a satin oil specialty. Once again IMHO, they’re the best looking drums made. I know, finish ply is finish ply, I’m talking about their artistry on the specialty drums. Also the use of exotic woods on the outer ply make the drums look amazing.

And of course, as someone who lives in the USA, the drums are made here.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pre-collectors 12/14/18. with the Keller shells. I love them! Solid heavy kit, perfect edges, sound awesome. Coated amb. on top and clear amb on bottom. The bass has a May mike built in and although it sounds fine unmiked, it thumps when plugged in. You'd never know it was an 18. The drums sound awesome and have a nice tone with the clear bottoms. I also have die cast hoops for when I want to have a more focused tone (ie: jazz), but I don't really use them for jazz as I have other "jazz" kits.
When I gig them, I get compliments on them and I feel like a "pro". And to think they were a CList score in the middle of a parking lot in the hot summer sun of the Central Valley on a whim and after I sold the snare and other stuff that came with it (stands/high hats/cymbals), it ended up costing me zero!

I had and sold a Collectors bop kit - 10/13/16 w/5/13 snare. Broken glass sparkle. Just perfect condition. I just didn't like the 10" tom and wanted a lower (12) rack tom. I could not tune it down. Finish and edges were first rate and it looked gorgeous and sparkly. But it didn't have mojo and I sold it a few months later for well more than I paid.

As for snares, I have probably 5-6 DW snares - 5x14 Craviotto and 6.5x14 Craviotto, vintage 5x14 maple (w/"Camco" throw), 6.5x14 polished brass, 5x14 NOB, a PDP hammered bronze 6x14 (or 5.5") that is killer (I swapped out the ugly lugs and throw for DW lugs and a Mag throw), and even a 5.5x14 Keller maple clone. Just love them! Some of the DW "innovations" are hokey, but I love that they are USA (Cali) company, I dig John Good's enthusiasm and thinking outside the box, and we are the same age! My only regret is buying and returning a Neil P. signature snare.....that will haunt me forever!

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
For me DW makes beautiful drums but they are just a bit “tubby” for me. Bass drums and floor toms sound good but the mounted toms aren’t as fast as I like. Great snares though and the hardware is the best in the business.

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
i like dw drums ... a friend of mine recently bought a new set with a 24'' bass drum
he was over to my drum room of boom a while back , he sat down on my 1970's rogers . after he played them he said
your 24'' sounds just like my 24'' ... i told him , no .... my 24 sounds better
i still like dw drums though ....

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have only heard Oriollo Phantoms recorded online, but, from what I’ve heard, they are much livelier than DW Collectors. Accord Sonor heavy beech drums, even Ludwig CM’s. JMO!
Wait...you're comparing aluminum shells with maple ply shells? Gee, you mean to tell me there's a difference between wood and metal shell response???
The direct answer to OP's question in my case is, they are easy to tune to a sweet pure fundamental, they look fantastic in their exotic outfit, and the hardware is solid and well designed. The stands are heavy but you just don't get "solid" and "stable" without weight. Sorry. Physics. (Inertia)

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"I don't like the rods, they've got too many threads."
---------------------------------Monty Python 1967
What are you going to do spit on them?
that's a play on a monty python skit called "Bookshop" when JCleese is being pestered by a customer (GChapman)
C: (insistent) Well, I don't like them...they wet their nests.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't own any DW drums.
But I own a DW5000, and a 3000 double-kick pedals. They'rebuilt like tanks, and I like them.
Same here (would'nt mind finding a nice Camco kit, something in a blonde maple finish) The stands/ hardware is Top shelf.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
their bass drum pedals are 1st choice.
In a way the drums are Not that Exotic even tho.. Exotic (finishes and lay-ups, seem to be their 'thing..
maybe that's how I look at them..
very early I could have bought a set the first set Waddells took back in on trade; affordable punchy sizes..used..but wasn't meant to be. Fondly remembered tho. And I owned a snare once wood shell 6x14

I also remember at Drum World Pitts. had a sea of DW and when the small lug in natural Birch appeared there caught my eye

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Haven't made a final decision yet, but if I can't find a good vintage shell pack for cheap, I may actually get DW's or PDP's for my next set despite my Ludwig fetish. Honestly, I have a hard time hearing the difference between DW's and PDPs, all other things being equal. I like that DW's easily go anywhere tonally that you want to go, and I love DW/Camco lugs. I also love their finishes.
IMO, DW Collectors tune down better than they tune up. If you like that deep, fat, rumble, they’re great!