What do you love about your DWs?

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olive Ash Burl is the exotic wood on the outside and the finish is called Ex Royal To Trans Electric Blue To Pale Regal .
OMG you weren’t kidding! That IS an entire paragraph and sounds like a super special order. Thank you!!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. Strange that the guy selling it said he had it custom ordered.
I have sold two of those sets. They were the very first ones of that finish and wood combo I think. I advertised them a lot and I am sure others jumped on that finish too. I don't blame them, that finish is just stunning.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have sold two of those sets. They were the very first ones of that finish and wood combo I think. I advertised them a lot and I am sure others jumped on that finish too. I don't blame them, that finish is just stunning.
Agreed.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I have a collectors kit from early 00'. They were the kit to buy at the time. I now have Gretsch/DW/Slingerland. Sold a set of Tama's and Premiers. The DW kit is setup in my studio. The DW kit takes heads well, meaning the sound really changes with a different head, tuning etc. I found them to have too much sustain for my liking. I rounded off the batter side (just a little) and put 3mm rims on. They sound fantastic! warm, punchy etc... The DW kit is not nearly as loud as the Gretsch NC set. The volume is similar to the 3 ply Slingerlands. Oh, the finish is amazing. Tamo ash in burnt toast burst. I'm sure the finish has nothing to do with the sound......

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a collectors kit from early 00'. They were the kit to buy at the time. I now have Gretsch/DW/Slingerland. Sold a set of Tama's and Premiers. The DW kit is setup in my studio. The DW kit takes heads well, meaning the sound really changes with a different head, tuning etc. I found them to have too much sustain for my liking. I rounded off the batter side (just a little) and put 3mm rims on. They sound fantastic! warm, punchy etc... The DW kit is not nearly as loud as the Gretsch NC set. The volume is similar to the 3 ply Slingerlands. Oh, the finish is amazing. Tamo ash in burnt toast burst. I'm sure the finish has nothing to do with the sound......
I saw one in that finish on reverb, it’s beautiful. I’m surprised that your DWs are not that loud, that goes against much of what I’ve read from other people. I actually like the fact that yours have so much sustain, mine had very little. What are the shells made of?

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Build quality and detail are great, they sound fantastic.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2008 I bought a DW Collector's Series kit after playing a lot of drums. This is my kit when I first brought it home.

1638789222976.png

I like the attack, the sustain, the rumble that is available in the bass drum and floor toms. They are exceptionally well made. From the fall of 2008 until the summer of 2019 this was my primary gig kit. I occasionally took out a vintage Slingerland or Gretsch kit, but the DWs were my go to. I figure that I played close to a thousand gigs with them in that time.

Here is a photo of them from June of 2019, they still look brand new after many, many shows.

1638789742466.png

After many, many shows they still look brand new. I tried virtually every head combination over the years, and I agree with another poster who likes the stock heads best on these drums. I put a new set of factory heads on them and stowed them in their Humes and Berg Enduro cases for now.

In 2019 I bought a Gretsch USA Custom kit because I wanted a change of pace. I still love my DWs, but I wanted to try something new. I love my Gretsch kit because it is very different. With these two kits I can handle any gig that might come up..

Here is my Gretsch USA Custom kit.

1638790265305.png

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't own a DW kit, though I worked for them from 1986-1989 and was there for their "official launch" in 1987. My son has a DW kit they made for him in 1999.

If memory serves, besides building high quality drums and custom lacquer finishes, John Good's philosophy was designing drums that record well. Not a lot of weird overtones and as he used to refer to it, without the "basketball ball boing" in the toms. And John was recutting the bearing edges on the kits of many LA pro drummers back then and that was some of his criteria for designing DW drums.

I don't know if any of this is relevant to the OP, but I guess my point is: he was designing drums that were easy to record. The idea being, tune them up, throw some mics on them and hit record. Every pro I know that records with DW Drums (including Jim Keltner just this week) absolutely loves them for that reason.

I drank the kool-aid and picked up a set of Collector's. I really wanted to love them but I only liked them and was on the verge of selling until I heard them on a few recordings I did for a local artist.
The engineer said he couldn't believe how great they sounded without any tweaking. They sure don't sound like that while I sit behind them but they have some sort of Mojo going on when you hit record.
I still have them for that reason.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had my Collector's kit since 2001 and a few snares over the past years. My kit is definitely full of rumble in the bass drum (18x22) and the floor toms (11x14 and 13x16). The rack toms can cut and stand out, but also do well tuned low (7x8, 8x10, 9x12). The 9x12 is a pain to tune and I rarely use it. It's a very 'live' sounding kit - lots of 'fill the room' resonance. Mic'd up they sound great - and the build quality is also very nice. Mine are 20 years old now and still look brand new for the most part. I'm not a huge fan of the larger throw-off and butt-plate 3-way adjustment on the snares. I guess I just like simplicity - on or off. Here's my current dw snare:
IMG_20190224_163313.jpg

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a 2003 Collectors kit for a while. I sold it after a year or so. It had the natural tung oil finish. The bass was great. The toms tuned low very very well. They were fine at higher tunings. I had a 22, 10, 12, 14 (hanging set up).

I suspect I would get more out of them now then I did back then as I am a much better tuner now.

They do put out some fantastic finishes. I have not felt the urge to pick up another one since I sold it, but I like to change up kits, so you never know.

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Forum has jumped the shark on any opinion-based threads about DW - what's wrong, what's right, their marketing, timbre matching, exotic woods, shell layups, John Good's preference in football teams (the Bears), etc.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I saw one in that finish on reverb, it’s beautiful. I’m surprised that your DWs are not that loud, that goes against much of what I’ve read from other people. I actually like the fact that yours have so much sustain, mine had very little. What are the shells made of?
Standard maple kit. I usually tune mid to low but definitely not wrinkle low..... They had this veneer for a few years. I went on a tour at DW and was able to speak with John about them, he remembered the kit build and then told me how they got the log of Tamo Ash. Cool story. All this talk is giving me thoughts of using this kit as the gig kit for a while and see how the sound out in the real world.....

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I wanted to like the set I bought new in 1998 but I had the hardest time tuning those. They were WMP Collectors series with re-rings and I could never get them to sound decent. Some people have had great luck with them but they just didn't work for me. I sold them in 2003 to buy my first classic maple Ludwig set and those were the easiest drums I have ever tuned. To each his own I guess.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to like the set I bought new in 1998 but I had the hardest time tuning those. They were WMP Collectors series with re-rings and I could never get them to sound decent. Some people have had great luck with them but they just didn't work for me. I sold them in 2003 to buy my first classic maple Ludwig set and those were the easiest drums I have ever tuned. To each his own I guess.
Classic Maples are awesome.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a Performer kit for my last Las Vegas shows with Reba and Brooks & Dunn. It was the side by side videos online that led to the purchase....and I wanted something shiney! Got the bronze sparkle in 10,12,13,14 and 20.

Tonight is show number 2 of 9. I'm only using the 13,14 and 20. I can honestly say these puppies can't be tamed. In a good way. I'm really digging the t-rods they use.

Have a great weekend everyone!
cheers and blessings, Trey
My in-laws are seeing you tonight in Vegas - I think right now actually. Have a great show!