What do you see?

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I see a 12,20, snare with classic strainer(buddy rich model?) nickel hardware with an added 16 with chrome hardware, some junk hats, a zildjian with rivets and possibly one other zildjian, also included is 2 cases for the bass and snare, seller wants 935 which is out of the question, The drums with nickel hardware appear as though they need a super Duper double secret probation cleaning, if everything is intact, what would you guys pay?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
13, 16, 14x5.5. Based on the spur connection to the BD I’m thinking early 60s. Nickel hardware. Large TT lugs.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Older FT brackets. Round knob mufflers? Preserial, trans badge? Hardware (stands) for the profile too. I believe those feet are ‘64, maybe ‘63. Those plain looking off-white heads are promising too.

Last edited:

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think the hats are junk, I think they are dusty and much closer to the flash than the other metal objects in the photo. Remember: never use the flash on your camera phone if you want a good looking picture.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Turns out these are like 2 minutes from my house, the guy bought them in 1969 from the original owner. the 13 and the bass drum are nickle for sure, bass drum is out of round, oval!! Snare has chrome hardware Believe it or not and will clean up real nice. those 3 are wfl, floor is a ludwig. They all have the original heads. 16 inch zildjian sizzle cymbal missing all but 3 rivets, hats are zildjian and the other cymbal is a trash can lid from Ajax . Before I looked at them I told the guy I wouldn’t do anything over 600 on them. Now that I’ve seen them I’m thinking 3-4 hundred tops, the bass drum is the downer

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Bummer about the bass. Are those flat base hihat stands the desirable ones?

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
The heads and hoops are on the bass drum and it still is way out of round? That's odd unless something heavy was sitting on it for 50 yrs.

DZ

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would never dismiss any vintage USA kit like that without a personal inspection....and certainly not the cymbals. In fact, I normally assume the cymbals are Zildjian. Usually, those old dusty looking cymbals are vintage Zildjians....and often a nice $250-$400 addition to the kit....even more if 50's or Trans Stamps. One man's Ajax trash can lid can be the next guy's $80 ride cymbal needed to complete an Ajax set. Parted out hardware and cymbals, with drums in good condition would more than likely net over $900 if the shells were good. Interesting and complete kit. I try not to dismiss or diminish any seller's kit, unless their verbage is completely wrong or the price is absurd. I wouldn't buy it at $900 but someone might come close. But even at $900 I'd go to look if close by. I don't see kits like this going for $400....but we can all dream....hardware and cymbals are worth that....then you have a quality 8 lug snare and floor tom that are normally worth hundreds each.

Fwiw my local GC has just a 1965 Ludwig 12/20 "kit" in BML with a Krut 16" cymbal (no pedal) for $999. And the store's buyer told me they paid $600 for it. I kid you not. So at $900 this kit above is a steal..............

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Personally, I think thats a pretty good buy at $600. If youre going to play it, you should be able to find a ludwig or leedy bass drum shell in blue sparkle fairly easily, then you can transfer over the hardware from the out of the round shell.

Mfryed: I have a question for you: Is the consolette tom tom mount the old Ludwig Four post, or is it the two hole "bar", as found on the Gretsch round Badge sets?

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would it be next to impossible to fix the bass and get it back in round??? Is it still playable/functional? The rest of the kit has value like others have said. Maybe offer $500 - cash talks and BS walks. Let us know what you decide.
Coy

Latest posts