What do you think about Dream Cymbals?

kusekchris

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what do you think about Dream Cymbals? What do you like and what don't you like? I am considering buying some but I want to know what you think.
Thanks!
Chris

Chunchunchun

Young Whippersnapper
Reaction score
There's been quite a few discussions on Dream actually, general consensus is "try before you buy", if it's ever possible. All the ones I've played have been great though! Mind you, I've only ever played them from a small selection at a local shop, and at their booth at a drum show, so obviously they'd pick the best ones possible to display. Something very nice about them is that for the price, it's not quite as much of a disaster if you end up getting a dud.

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —President George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002
&feature=player_embedded
Oh well, we know what the fool meant!

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently took a chance on a Dream Bliss cymbal off ebay (19" crash ride with 3 rivets). There was no sound file or anything so I was taking a bit of a risk but I'm quite happy with the cymbal I got.

I've tried a few in booths at various shows and they all sounded really good, especially for the price, but as mentioned above they aren't going to bring any "dogs" to a show. I'd agree that it would be best to buy ones that you can hear first (at least a sound file) but I think the good ones are mighty nice for the price.

JohnG

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a 16 Bliss crash/ride new without a listen. It's a nice crash but not really ride worthy IMHO. Still, a nice cymbal for the cash.....

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are very hit or miss. I played a bunch in a local music shop in St. Louis and NONE of them wowed me. I had heard rave reviews from a few guys on here, but I wasn't too impressed. It might be the type of music I like to play, I'm not a jazzer, so their complex and sometimes dirty sound palate wasn't for me. I played mostly Dream Bliss.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I would rather own Dream Bliss hats before owning any modern Zildjian hats.

-Ryan

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To any and all Dreamers: make me an offer for my 18" (1370 gram) crash ride, purchased new from Bentley's in 2008 on the strength of a sound file.
I may be selling it short, but I'm willing to take a loss, as I have no use for it. Of course, the Good Will is always a last resort.

Ron

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a 16 Bliss crash/ride new without a listen. It's a nice crash but not really ride worthy IMHO. Still, a nice cymbal for the cash.....
Yeah I should have mentioned that is the case with mine as well...it may be labled a "Crash/Ride" but is really only usable as a crash, at least to my ear...but I do like it as strictly a crash and I bought it primarily to use as such.

Cymbalist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hit or miss...You really have to listen/play a bunch, but when you find a "good one", the results can be impressive...I have great 22" Bliss ride, for example...Yesterday, a bassist I work with asked my help in selecting a kit and cymbals for his home studio...We found a really great set of Dream Bliss hats for only $139! I've found that, in general, the Dreams tend to have a a pronounced "metallic" quality...The best ones are those where this characteristic is most reduced...At least IMHO...

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I purchased a set of Dream Bliss when they first came out (22, 20, and 14s). in fact, the nice gentleman I purchased them from was the Modern Drummer reviewer, and these were from the batch of review cymbals. they had a nice metallic, but not too bright stick, and a very trashy wash. They would be great for certain applications, but a bit too trashy for me. And it's that asian bronze trash, as opposed to the turkish trash sound.

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
all the ones I have heard have been very good sounding with a very good wash. I would take it over the mass produced brands..They were all larger sized rides... I think they are among the best for "bang for your buck" too. aren't they a bit cheaper than the other hand hammered?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Of the 50 per cent that are sort of OK,there a few outstanding ones. The rest suck.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree! Play play play....there are way too many dogs in the batch. That being said I own a 24" Dream contact ride that I LOVE, and I purchased a 16" dream energy crash, that sounded good in the shop, but stunk at home. traded it in and lost some $$ but at 116.00 new, not a big loss.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dream has basically three lines with some variants. I am a big fan of the Contact line; they are B-23 alloy, about the best you can get. The Bliss line I don't care much for - they are B-20's, a bit too trashy, thin & bright for me, but as mentioned, highly variable as the weight range per diameter is broader than most manufacturers - you really do need to try each one. There is another line somewhere in between the two, something like "classic" though not sure about that. One of the interesting variants is the "Dark Matter"; double fired hand hammered and left unpolished. Dark tones that aren't my thing, but could be an alternative for the "K" fans.

The one weakness in my opinion are the bells. None are particularly strong, but given the shimmer I go for, I can live with that (and I like playing the bell). I've traded nearly all my Zildjian "A"s out except for an 18" crash and a pair 14" hats, now have hats, 10" and 12" splashes, 17" crash, 20" and 24" rides and a 22" crash ride, all Contacts. The rides all have nice zones, especially the 24", with a lively stick that won't wear you down trying to bring the tones out.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
not sure about these but wondering about the "order" in quality of all the Wuhan "western style" drum set cymbals. There was an "S series" for wich i just acquired some 14 hats and 16 crash, as well as the Dream Bliss, a Wuhan traditional, and then a hand hammered (i think). Wich are highest quality? (Not that much of anything from China is all that great, and I mean that sincerely.)

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a couple used Dream Bliss cymbals for my friends studio. {We have a jazz style mini kit there ..jazz rehearsal space.} I bought a few used for almost nothing at Daddys {RIP} across the street from Berkley. They had a bunch,with some being nasty but some where very usable for little $$.
Definately do the "Man made Patina trick". Mix white viniger with salt and coat cymbal with mixture liberally. Let sit outside for a few days. Bring inside and say "what the hell did I do" ! :blink: :roll: Wet cymbal and wipe down. For me I imediately noticed a loss of the metalic stick and got more of a woody click. Try a few times.
If you loose to much hi-end frequencies, try cleaning cymbal with Barkeepers friend {like new}.
Throughout experimenting with patina, the Dreams still maintain that wash they have. I notice they prefer jazz style sticks and a light touch to sound their best. IMHO