What do you think about storing drums stacked?

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a major construction project about to start and need to clear some room. I was going to store some of my kits stacked and covered. Is this a good or bad idea?

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
It seems every music shop & warehouse stores drums this way, I see no issues with it other than one may have to re-tension the heads when it comes time to setting them up again--which you'd do anyway. Stacked drums take up the least amount of floor space.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I stack mine up (really have no other choice) but almost all of them are in cases.

I don't think stacking toms without cases is a big deal although I'm a bit leery of then stacking a heavy pile of them on top of a bass drum.

manoeuver

Reaction score
ghead and stack. in hard cases there's obviously no problem, and you can save some smash on your bass drum if you put the floor tom on the ground and split the rest of the kit between em.

If it was some terrible thing to do we'd have a term like 'stack damage' in common use along with other dealbreaker words like keyholing, out-of-round, velociraptor slashed, et al.

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i need one room to live in.
i need one large house for music gear :unsure:

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Drums are stacked. Working on getting hard cases for all and I'll fee a lot better. If anyone ever has some they are looking to unload, shoot me a pm.

DrumBob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I stack all my sets w/o cases and never had a problem. I have to do it that way. I'd have no room to move in my music room. I also have guitars taking up space.

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
If your worried about stacking them on the bass head...Just buy a couple pieces of
1x2 lumber cut to size and distribute the weight more evenly on the hoops.

Bongo

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
I cut a 2' square of 1/4" plywood to set on my bass, then stack the rest on top of that---seems fine. The weight ends up being on the T's, both lower & upper ones evenly, which probably compresses the springs in the bass lugs a bit. The weight gets spread out to 16 or 20 springs, depending on if it's a 20 or a 22. I only have 4-piece kits, & usually keep the snares on a shelf, so not much weight, overall. 1x2's are fine, too, I'm sure, but concentrates the weight to 4 spots on the wood hoop.....marko

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a stacker from way back.... My only concern is putting too much weight on the bass head inturn putting too much tension on the lugs and causing deflection/ warping of a thin shell. I stack no more than 2 drums on the bass. Probably not really going to happen. I've only seen this where the drums were tensioned really super tight over long periods of time.....ok I'll shut up now

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
If your worried about stacking them on the bass head...Just buy a couple pieces of
1x2 lumber cut to size and distribute the weight more evenly on the hoops.

Bongo
good call bongo. right on track!

mikew

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you look at it purely from a structural standpoint there is nothing wrong with stacking drums.
The head will resist equal tension and put the shell into pure compression. A circle/arch in compression is about as pure economic a structure as you can get. Plus the pipe shape of drums is also a very economical structure when used on end. Take care not to mark your heads up and all will be well. Another critical point is where the bottom shell touches the ground, depending on how high you stack ideally that force should be distributed to as many points as possible and kept off the tees.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
+1 on the plywood sheet---that's what I do when I stack my kits in my storage room. I've never had a problem with my stuff doing that (other than I need more room and need to stop buying drum stuff!).

jmacderm

Reaction score
One of the music shops I frequent stack their kits with the bass drum set up. Floor tom with legs on top and then toms and maybe a snare. I think 2 of the FT legs are resting on the bass lugs or t-rods and the other one on the shell. I've never tried it and don't think I would, but it can be done.

John

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I have 3 gig sets in the garage in padded cases, stacked,

and 2 collection kits in the house in padded cases, stacked. (kit#3 is setup to be played!)

Never have had a problem doing it this way.

The plywood tube that a drumshell is made from has the most strength in that position.

Having them in cases keeps the heads from getting marked up, or you could cut pieces of cardboard to protect the top head on each drum.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
How about cutting out squares from a thin, stiff sheet of plastic which you could insert between each of the stacked drums? It would at least keep the final height & weight down as opposed to using 2x4's.

Q-Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been known to sit on drum heads to seat them. Plus you do remember that we beat on them with sticks, right? Stacking drums won't hurt them and may actually be better for the bass than leaving it set up with toms mounted on them.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seems like everybody is cool with it. I refuse to do it unless the drums are in some kind of case. Then again I worry about everything...

Latest posts