What do you think of today's sparkle wraps?

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
My first drum set was a Ludwig in Green Sparkle. You could see the sparkly finish across a football field. Not long ago, I wrapped a set in Black Sparkle. It wasn't cheapy wrap from overseas. I bought it from one of the biggy US sellers. I must say that I am hugely disappointed. The sparkles are tiny, and beyond 30 feet, the drums look solid black. I noticed when wrapping, it is made differently, with a layer of tin foil, instead of plastic glitter, that they used to use. I spent more than I wanted to on the drums, because I took the sparkle wrap off and replaced it with a pearl cover.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The sparkle wraps I've used appear to be more or less identical to the old stuff as far as the reflective flakes which were either little bits of aluminum or particles of crushed glass depending on whether it is what we now call "Sparkle" or "glass glitter" (although back in the day it was ALL simply called "sparkle" wrap).

I know Sam offers a series of less expensive sparkles that differ in some way from the traditional wraps and perhaps they use a finer grade of reflector flakes. The Ludwig Standard series used a finer grained type of Sparkle wraps that Ludwig called "mists" to differentiate from their upper line sparkles. Recently they've called some other sparkly wraps by the "mist" name although I haven't compared them directly to know if they are similar to the old Standard Mist wraps.

Also Black Sparkle was never particularly sparkly even back in the day. The color of any sparkle wrap is in the outer layer (the sparkles inside are always silver, champagne sparkle being the exception) so by the time you tint that layer dark enough to make it look black then there's not going to be a lot of light getting through to the sparkles, then whatever light is reflected has to make it back out through the same tinted layer. I'm surprised it sparkles at all. The way you descibed the wrap with a solid layer instead of sparkles seems odd. That is more like a description of the wraps that Ludwig called "Silks" which substituted a solid silver layer for the sparkles (still under a tinted outer layer) which is akin to a candy apple paint job on a car.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I' m quite happy with my factory Ludwig Blue Sparkle wrap. Seems fine to me but I'll also never try to look at it from across a football field.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
View attachment 506267 View attachment 506268

This recent wrap from INDe Drum Co is sweet. I didn't need this drum (there's a thread...how many times have we said that?) but really liked the INDe product and this wrap in particular.
That looks like a variation on Ludwig's Black Galaxy wrap. Gretsch had a similar wrap with just gold flecks that they called Anniversay Sparkle (tied in to their 75th anniversary in business). Slingerland did offer a Black Sparkle. Which looks solid black even in the catalog...

SL7103.JPG

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I had a set of Slingerlands (I should have never traded), that were in their own "black sparkle", but the sparkles were lavender in color. Don't know if the top layer was indeed lavender or clear, with lavender sparkles underneath.

IMGP0113.JPG

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

name it
and how's it's made (silver, copper etc..

backing etc..)
When I saw a set like that at Nodar Rode's upstairs in NYC Never forgot it.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any modern Sparkles use that Maybe Tama..
think it's a lacquer these days
Gretsch Renown early on something similar
I dunno -if you can buy-that anywhere from anyone- today; probably

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Today's "sparkle" finishes, such as Red, Green, Blue and Silver, look pretty much the same as those by Ludwig in the 60's and 70's. Here's one of my custom snare drums, wrapped in Black Glass Glitter. You really need a lot of sunlight, or stage light, to really see the crushed glass pieces under the black outer layer!

-Mark

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Today's "sparkle" finishes, such as Red, Green, Blue and Silver, look pretty much the same as those by Ludwig in the 60's and 70's. Here's one of my custom snare drums, wrapped in Black Glass Glitter. You really need a lot of sunlight, or stage light, to really see the crushed glass pieces under the black outer layer!

-Mark
Yep. Beautiful. Glass Glitters are an entirely different thing. I think there are a very few that combine both.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging

starlight-sparkle-
When I saw a set like that at Nodar Rode's upstairs in NYC Never forgot it.
Love that from Gretsch. I can well believe that stayed with you once you saw it.

From my modern context, it puts me in the mind of the Hematite from Noble & Cooley, though I make no claims about its processing or exact classification.

I'm not a sparkle guy, but these caught my attention at the time. (I admit I like the Gretsches better though.)

noble-and-cooley-cd-maple-22-10-12-16-hematite-sparkle-1.jpg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Certainly one advantage of modern sparkles is they don’t fade.
This is a huge bonus IMO. I bought a classic maple in champagne sparkle in 2012, have gigged it hundreds of times inside and out, and it still looks new. I added a 14x14 to it in 2015 and after a few years of outdoor gigging, was worried if there would be a color match problems. The 2015 matches perfectly and even now they still look perfect as I tend to take the set out as a four piece more often than bringing out the two floors.

SSB Kurt.jpg.png

Classic.jpg

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first drum set was a Ludwig in Green Sparkle. You could see the sparkly finish across a football field. Not long ago, I wrapped a set in Black Sparkle. It wasn't cheapy wrap from overseas. I bought it from one of the biggy US sellers. I must say that I am hugely disappointed. The sparkles are tiny, and beyond 30 feet, the drums look solid black. I noticed when wrapping, it is made differently, with a layer of tin foil, instead of plastic glitter, that they used to use. I spent more than I wanted to on the drums, because I took the sparkle wrap off and replaced it with a pearl cover.
My first kit was a Radio-King in Gold Sparkle. It was the only kit available for purchase in Tucson from Phil and Mark Lefkowitz's Chicago Store back in '63. I had to buy it then because it would be gone tomorrow! Got my first Paiste Joe Morello cymbal set there too. They moved massive amounts of Ludwig to their Mexican customers. Their biggest customers were Mexicans who paid cash for everything. The Lefkowitz's were pretty good at Spanish too. Word of mouth was their advertising. I remember taking part on a sale of four Musser Marimbas, dozens of timbales and four Xylophones and I was the appointed translator whenever I was there. 45 grand in cash for guitars and accordions too. One guy bought everything. I helped load the buyer's Peterbilt. And that was in 1972! My first kit came with an Acro snare. 300 bucks total. At the Chicago I used to trade labor for gear while at THS . I went to school with Mark, Jr. He played Tenor Sax and was a year ahead of me in the band. He was good too. Greatest guy too. He was dating a local ballerina who was my chemistry partner. I used to know almost every inch of the Chicago Store when it was on Congress. It's around the corner near Broadway I hear. Anyhow, I have an old-school 5-piece British Premier-made Yamaha kit (10,12,14,16 &22 I rescued from Bookman's on Grant a decade ago for 100 bucks. No masonite in it's construction either!. Make for a nice room prop and practice kit. I wanna do it in glitter colors of the Lifesavers candy. Like you, I need those colors to be loud. They gotta be visible from the Spacestation! I'll be looking at Precision for the work. Sorry to hear about your disappointment.

Last edited: