What does everybody think of the new Rogers

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As has been said, Bill Detamore from Pork Pie is doing the bearing edges and finish work on these shells in California and he does impeccable work and I’m guessing that doesn’t come cheap.

However, I agree, a product this expensive shouldn’t have Taiwan listed anywhere on it, no matter how good Taiwanese products might be these days.
Yes I'm sure Bill's work does not come cheap, but still...even if those shells were created in Heaven by God himself (herself?), $4300 for 20/12/14 shell pack? Really?
Pretty much guaranteed, they're going to price themselves into oblivion if they keep this up.

Elvis

73Rogers

Reaction score
The price of the kits is not justified by their substance or provenance. I think there are two main problems behind this:

1. The hardware details aren't there.
2. This "relaunch" is basically a contract-manufacturing limited run. The legendary Rogers company is still just a ghost. There's no factory, no office, no company.

Given these factors, the asking price is just far too high.
This indeed! I don't understand the approach. This "rebirth" has been hyped for what 3 years now? The snares were an OK start, but even those were limited to a few colors and limited numbers. Right there you could have gotten all the vintage guys who wanted a snare to match their kits, but they missed that opportunity. I know some of the hard-core bought them up thinking they are going to be collector's items, but I don't think so. I've been watching one snare that's sitting online for over a month and the seller can't get $500 for it.
I really wanted them to succeed when I heard about it but the new drums do nothing for me.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm sure Bill's work does not come cheap, but still...even if those shells were created in Heaven by God himself (herself?), $4300 for 20/12/14 shell pack? Really?
Pretty much guaranteed, they're going to price themselves into oblivion if they keep this up.

Elvis
I think it remains to be seen whether or not this fails. There are a lot of guys with money out there these days and they are willing to spend serious money for things they want. We say you can get 3 vintage Rogers kits for the price of one new one, but it’s still a new one, and a lot of guys don’t want to fuss with crappy old hardware and scratches. They want new.

And who knows, maybe there target number is small. More profit, less quantity or something like that.

In the end, I’m with you, I’m leaning towards this being short lived, but what do I know? These guys are in the business, I’m not.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keller USA shells (never underestimate the factor of perception) and reasonable pricing and they might have a more long-term prospect here, if that's what they want.

I think they're trying to build off the historical idea of Rogers being the "Cadillac of Drums" and more expensive than the other brands and all that. Trying to re-establish the old cachet to some degree.

However, it's a different time now. Especially NOW. Success of this venture will require a lot of response from the nostalgia demographic. Will that happen with overseas-made shells and in this economic climate?

The target buyer here has to be one that primarily (1) knows and loves Rogers and (2) has a LOT of money to play with. Does this point to some assumed wealthy collector-player audience? I'm not sure it exists, since collector-grade original Rogers is the real brass ring for them. Plus, the market has come down a lot.

Who else? Band kids? Most couldn't afford it. We've seen Ludwig return to cool in a huge way. Then Gretsch. When live music comes back, will all the "it" bands suddenly be displaying these uber-expensive new Rogers kits? I don't see it, personally.

I'll say one thing. I sure hope these drums eventually establish a healthy resale market. If not, well...that's a lot of cash to be out. Craviotto (handmade, USA) is one thing. But this...

It will all be very interesting to watch. And it portends intriguingly for the supposed eventual re-emergence of Slingerland.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lemme see here, I really want another drum set...

I could buy that new 3 piece ROGERS drum set for $4300... vintage vibe with shells made in Taiwan.

OR I could buy that used 5 piece GRETSCH RENOWN drum set at the local GC for $750... vintage vibe with shells made in Taiwan

What to do?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keller USA shells (never underestimate the factor of perception) and reasonable pricing and they might have a more long-term prospect here, if that's what they want.

I think they're trying to build off the historical idea of Rogers being the "Cadillac of Drums" and more expensive than the other brands and all that. Trying to re-establish the old cachet to some degree.

However, it's a different time now. Especially NOW. Success of this venture will require a lot of response from the nostalgia demographic. Will that happen with overseas-made shells and in this economic climate?

The target buyer here has to be one that primarily (1) knows and loves Rogers and (2) has a LOT of money to play with. Does this point to some assumed wealthy collector-player audience? I'm not sure it exists, since collector-grade original Rogers is the real brass ring for them. Plus, the market has come down a lot.

Who else? Band kids? Most couldn't afford it. We've seen Ludwig return to cool in a huge way. Then Gretsch. When live music comes back, will all the "it" bands suddenly be displaying these uber-expensive new Rogers kits? I don't see it, personally.

I'll say one thing. I sure hope these drums eventually establish a healthy resale market. If not, well...that's a lot of cash to be out. Craviotto (handmade, USA) is one thing. But this...

It will all be very interesting to watch. And it portends intriguingly for the supposed eventual re-emergence of Slingerland.
I love vintage drums, but what I really want is "new" vintage drums. I've never scratched that Rogers itch. I wanted these to be amazing.

But as said before, Rogers isn't really back. Reliance owns the name, this is their product. They are outsourcing the shells overseas, presumably to save money. They ship the shells to Pork Pie who works their magic and turns them into drums. That's three concerns involved making money before they get marked up by the retailer. But there really still is no Rogers company, there are three businesses involved in making a product and hanging the Rogers name on them. If Pork Pie bought the name, bought Keller shells, and built them I'd feel more like Rogers was back. It would be the Rogers division of Pork Pie.

I see the DW acquiring Slingerland differently. I'm hoping that they get the "special sauce" right, and I actually feel confident that they will. Of course we have to wait and see. The other thing is that 2020 might possibly be the worst year to launch either rebirth.

I bought a Gretsch USA shell bank last year because I wanted "new" vintage drums. I'm anxiously awaiting the Slingerland product and I absolutely intend on buying a kit if they get it right. If I need to wait until 2021 for it to happen, I'm okay with that. I'm pretty much the target audience. So far Rogers missed this target, I hope that Slingerland hits a bulls eye.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only positive here is that I can get some replacement parts, at least lugs and such. Thanks, but I will stick to vintage.

Alpine

Reaction score
So what does everybody think of the new Rogers. I like that they went back to what was and still is popular rather than starting from scratch or just using their beaver tail lugs and pulling stock parts off the shelf overseas to complete their drums. I love the 60’s wood shell Dyna-Sonics and the new ones look and sound like them, at least from what I’ve heard online as I actually haven’t seen or heard one in person yet.
WAY overpriced for Taiwanese drums!
So what does everybody think of the new Rogers. I like that they went back to what was and still is popular rather than starting from scratch or just using their beaver tail lugs and pulling stock parts off the shelf overseas to complete their drums. I love the 60’s wood shell Dyna-Sonics and the new ones look and sound like them, at least from what I’ve heard online as I actually haven’t seen or heard one in person yet.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love vintage drums, but what I really want is "new" vintage drums. I've never scratched that Rogers itch. I wanted these to be amazing.

But as said before, Rogers isn't really back. Reliance owns the name, this is their product. They are outsourcing the shells overseas, presumably to save money. They ship the shells to Pork Pie who works their magic and turns them into drums. That's three concerns involved making money before they get marked up by the retailer. But there really still is no Rogers company, there are three businesses involved in making a product and hanging the Rogers name on them. If Pork Pie bought the name, bought Keller shells, and built them I'd feel more like Rogers was back. It would be the Rogers division of Pork Pie.
I believe the phrase you're searching for is Zombie Company. ;)

Elvis

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This will boost Rogers popularity, and give new life to the name. Unfortunately, the 60,s Rogers are likely to double in price. As for the new gear, its a hit and run tactic, but the entitled few will snag them for sure

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody on here seems to agree that they are over priced. If our small forum thread is any representation of the real market, Rogers is doomed to fail yet again. It’s a shame this time because the product has finally returned to being good quality. Just too much money. :(

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody on here seems to agree that they are over priced. If our small forum thread is any representation of the real market, Rogers is doomed to fail yet again. It’s a shame this time because the product has finally returned to being good quality. Just too much money. :(
My guess is there not going after the masses here. There probably not going to build a lot of these kits and there locked into the high end buyer, the guy who has the money and desire to own a real, brand spanking new Rogers kit.

From our perspective, this looks like a dud in the making, but it might be a success for the company if the high end buyers take a liking to them.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My guess is there not going after the masses here. There probably not going to build a lot of these kits and there locked into the high end buyer, the guy who has the money and desire to own a real, brand spanking new Rogers kit.

From our perspective, this looks like a dud in the making, but it might be a success for the company if the high end buyers take a liking to them.
Someone like DW should have taken on the mission. Yes, Taiwanese build quality is nearly on par with Japanese as far as reputation and price, so the shells aren’t that discounted; however- there is still a perception that Taiwanese is inferior and cheap. I looked into a Taiwanese factory to build bike frames and their pricing was nearly on par with the USA. I need to snap up some lugs and tags while I still can for my project 24”...

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
My biggest question is why even do this. The Rogers name means nothing to younger drummers and those of us old enough to remember them probably already have a vintage kit. The market for this has to be tiny. There are lots of current drum companies doing amazing things and I'm not seeing a market for this.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
At any point will they be bringing back the Daisy?

yea I know I know, don't make fun of the Daisy..

Last edited: