What does everybody think of the new Rogers

skydawg

Reaction score
I`ve had conversations with 20`s drummers who`ve never even heard of Rogers,and more often than not,boomers are downsizing,having health concerns and becoming fewer every year.So where`s the customer base?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...For one thing--and I know people who know Rogers will understand what I'm saying--the old drums felt industrial-strength. They were heavy (brass hardware) and the shells had a sense of HARDNESS to them...a feeling of great acoustic reflectivity.
The only brass hardware they used, I think, were on the bread and butter lugs which were gone by the mid '60s.

Ras

Reaction score
New Ludwig Legacy Maple 14x22", 9x13", 16x16"..... $3,847.00
New Rogers Covington, 14x22", 8x12", 16x16".....$4,330.00

The difference in price really isn't that much. $483.00

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gretsch USA Custom 3 pc. $2800, Sonor Vintage series 3 pc. $2800, dw vintage style 3 pc. $3400.

actionjcl

Reaction score
Someone like DW should have taken on the mission. Yes, Taiwanese build quality is nearly on par with Japanese as far as reputation and price, so the shells aren’t that discounted; however- there is still a perception that Taiwanese is inferior and cheap. I looked into a Taiwanese factory to build bike frames and their pricing was nearly on par with the USA. I need to snap up some lugs and tags while I still can for my project 24”...
I remember once talking to Jim Catalano, when he was with Ludwig, and he said that the markets are indeed changing. Twain use to be much more cost effective than presently, even China’s prices have risen significantly, but still much more cost effective. That’s why even offshore drum sets prices are where they are currently. That’s why the all popular Element Evolution kits from China have an MSRP of $1,232.00, though it includes the hardware and cymbals as well. Not only that, you wonder why they no longer sell the Evolution Maple, the cost to produce them wasn’t worth it as there wasn’t that much of a difference when comparing them to both the Element Evolution and U.S.A NeuSonic.

actionjcl

Reaction score

Yeah, but the Ludwig shells are made in Monroe, NC, not outsourced from Twain and are considered by many to be the quintessential of shells (at least DCP says so). Besides, you can get a Classic Maple set for under $3,000. Rogers doesn’t offer any kits for those prices.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't care who makes them, I would never pay that much for drums. I wouldn't allow myself. If I'm in a band in the next 5 years and something amazingly special happens, then I might consider something that's definitely worth that much. I don't see that happening. I'm the type that would rather find 4 or 5 orphans and turn them into something special again.

I don't own any Rogers as of yet. I don't know much about them honestly. But if were to pay that much, I just wouldn't for new Rogers.
Done this many times with vintage Rogers shells,that maple/birch shell speaks!
Are these new ones a blended shell or all maple? Havent found that info yet.
BTW,way over my bottom feeder budget! Lol

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I literally know NOTHING about Rogers drums. I read through the thread a while back but I don't remember if someone specifically said what the shell make-up was. I don't have much vintage. So I certainly "lean" that direction.

I think someone else was reading my mind. But if, I had that much to spend on drums, I just wouldn't do it on ONE kit.

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I haven't bought a kit new in 30+ years, and love to imagine what I'd pick if I were buying a new set on an unlimited budget. And I own a Rogers kit that I absolutely love — it's still unfinished, mixes shells from two eras, and has some extra unplugged holes, but sounds amazing and is a joy to play all the same. But I cannot imagine choosing a new Rogers set in my little shopping fantasies. Somehow it just doesn't translate for me, the idea of a 2020 made Rogers kit being desirable.

Throw the actual price tag into the mix, and it's just a bad look, market-wise.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the other thing.
...been wondering about that myself....of course, with Rogers, even if they are 100% Maple shells, they could just say they're patterned after XP8's.
Would be cool if they were the M/B shells, though.
What were the specs on those anyway? The originals, that is.
I know they were 5 ply, but how thick?

Elvis

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only brass hardware they used, I think, were on the bread and butter lugs which were gone by the mid '60s.
Hmm. I thought all the beavertail lugs up through Dayton, at least, were COB, and then they went to COS in Fullerton. I had lugs off my Cleveland kit a couple of times for cleaning and I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a brassy hue in there. They were pretty solid, weighty lugs, too, as I recall.

Bob Salvati

Reaction score
In 1965, $550 to $600 got you a 4 piece set of Rogers complete with hardware. In today's money that would set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of $4500 (US). It's worth what people are willing to pay. Remains to be seen...
In 1968 I got a ludwig Classic pink champagne 4 pc., $350.00. A set of Zildjians also,18”, 22” and 14” hats for another $250.00.4 yrs later got a Rogers black lacquer. 22”,12,13,16,18, 5x14 metal Dynasonic. Wish I still had it.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I never owned Rogers drums, but did use their hardware. Their Swivomatic hi-hat stand was my all-time favorite. Only one thing was wrong with it. The lower cymbal seat was flat and the cymbal would rock back and forth, so I had to remove the seat with a hack saw, and replace it with a Ludwig seat. Then, it was secure and worked just fine. I later traded it for a Slingerland "Smoothie" stand, as it was their copy of the Swivomatic, but it just wasn't the same. I didn't like the Rogers Dynasonic snares, that everyone had been raving about, because the strainers were loud and clunky. Almost no one bought the wood Dynasonics. When Louie Bellson endorsed the brand, he owned two of them, and said one was fabulous and the other was the opposite. I heard they had quality control problems. I really liked the Swivomatic hardware, but when they changed to Memriloc, I thought they ruined a good thing, and it reminded me of "plumbing"!

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been playing Slingerland since my first kit in 1965. Now they’re vintage, how’d that happen? I watched two demo. videos on the new Dynasonic last night, a 5x14 and a 6-1/2 x 14. I was blown away by the dynamic range and sensitivity of each. It’s the first time I’m seriously considering a “new” drum purchase. Lusted for but could never quite afford Rogers in the sixties, one of these New Dynasonic Snare’s though.....a dilemma.....what size and what finish? Pleasant choices indeed!
Regards
Don

actionjcl

Reaction score
Gretsch USA Custom 3 pc. $2800, Sonor Vintage series 3 pc. $2800, dw vintage style 3 pc. $3400.
Ludwig U.S.A. has become quite pricy as of lately, that is if you don’t factor in NeuSonic, but then Ludwig does handcraft their own shells.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmm. I thought all the beavertail lugs up through Dayton, at least, were COB, and then they went to COS in Fullerton. I had lugs off my Cleveland kit a couple of times for cleaning and I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a brassy hue in there. They were pretty solid, weighty lugs, too, as I recall.
Lugs are always diecast zinc. Brass is notoriously hard to diecast without getting voids and bubbles so it was never used for diecast drum parts.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
$4,300 for a 3 piece that was sourced in Taiwan?

I'm not going to argue that they are priced way too high, because I think they are, but every American drum manufacturer uses chrome parts that are sourced in Taiwan or China. Most of them source their shells in the US or make them in house in the US. All shell finishing, drilling, bearing edges and final assembly is done in the US.

The only difference with the new Rogers is that the shells are also made in Taiwan. All of the shell finishing, drilling, bearing edeges and final assembly are done in the US. So to compare these to drums sourced and made in Taiwan is not a fair comparison.

Scottie15

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue that they are priced way too high, because I think they are, but every American drum manufacturer uses chrome parts that are sourced in Taiwan or China. Most of them source their shells in the US or make them in house in the US. All shell finishing, drilling, bearing edges and final assembly is done in the US.

The only difference with the new Rogers is that the shells are also made in Taiwan. All of the shell finishing, drilling, bearing edeges and final assembly are done in the US. So to compare these to drums sourced and made in Taiwan is not a fair comparison.
And I would argue that where the shells are made is probably a more important factor than finishing, drilling, etc. The bearing edges are also important. Nonetheless, my point still stands: $4,300 is terrible value for a Taiwanese drums. I own a Mapex Velvetone kit. 5 pieces, walnut, maple, 8 mm shells all made in Taiwan. I paid half for my kit than what Rogers is charging.

Sure, maybe slightly unfair to compare an entirely Taiwanese-made kit to a kit that was 90% made in Taiwan, however, the difference is marginal and that value is downright atrocious, especially for a 3 piece kit. These will not sell well.