What Does Paiste Do That Other Companies Don't?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I watched most of the DCP video of the various Paiste lines. As I watched, I often had a thought like, "Oh, those sound like my redesigned As," or "those sound like K Customs" or whatever. What was striking to me in the video was (1) how similar the product lines really all were to each other when it came to those core models and (2) how few of the lines one couldn't come close to duplicating in other companies' lines. Now, that's true for all companies, I'm sure. And the fact that Shane kept it to essentially the same models of cymbals in each line without taking a wider angle on the uniqueness of each line probably contributed to the sameness. But a few questions:

1. After having watched that video, which lines did you hear and think, "OK, those don't sound like anyone else's cymbals? If I want that sound, I'd get Paistes."

2. For those of you more familiar with the Paiste lines: Which cymbals would you have put up as most representative of your favorite lines? Which models would you say are most distinctly Paiste?

3. Do you think that the way the cymbals were all played-- as rock cymbals-- hid the distinctiveness of the Paiste lines?

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1. Paiste Giant Beat and 2oo2
2. Quite like 602's, but 'most distinct' are Giant Beat and 2oo2
3. No. Paiste cymbals are played by all kinds of drummer, not just rock.

In my opinion, you can enter a room hear a band and know instantly the drummer is using Paistes. They have a glassy sound, even the 'dark' lines.
By the way, am not a Paiste 'fan boy', I had a whole set of 2oo2's ....but play Sabian and Zildjians now for other reasons.

Last edited:

michiganice91

Reaction score
As a broader answer to your question I'd just like to say Paiste does a lot of great things with non-b20 alloys that other companies just dont. This gives a different sound. Also even paistes own B20 alloy, the 602 isn't produced like Turkish B20, I believe the ingredients vary slightly and the production of the alloy varies greatly from what the turks are doing.

Reaction score
I find theres a shimmery glassiness to all Paiste's, perhaps mostly the 2002's and signature alloy ones but I mainly get them for the consistency. I've had a few duplicates over the years and they've been so similar. Really impressed with that. I like how my Traditionals and 602 feel when I play too, so buttery.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I´ve been playing Paiste for a long time and the DCP video does not properly represent these cymbals. At all. The nuances you can get from these instruments are completely lost in all that bashing.
Especially the Masters and Signature Traditionals are capable of much more complex sounds than you hear in the video, but even the 2002s can be a lot more subtle.

So my answer to 3. is - yes, the way they are presented here definitely hides their true potential.
2. - most distinctly Paiste... 2002 Sound Edge HH. 2002 Ride. 2002 Crash. 2002 China Type. 602 Medium Ride. 602 Medium Flat Ride.
1. Like ThomFloor said - 2002 and Giant Beats. Only judging by that video, of course. Best to try them out in person.

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
The Giant Beats sound totally unique. I was much impressed with the vanilla Signature line for rock situations. Beautiful shimmery cut. IMO, Paiste's biggest problem is their tendency to introduce unique sounding cymbals only to remove them too soon from the catalogue (eg. Rough Ride, the original D.E. Dry Dark, some models from the Trad line) It's as if they don't listen to drummer feedback and only look at sales charts. Gear is pricey and drummers are finicky and sometimes it takes years before a particular product percolates through the drumming community and becomes a word of mouth, highly recommended thing to check out/thing to have.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paiste sound completely unique. I can pick out certain Paiste drummers and recordings in a second. Bonham, Copeland, Bruford, Jordan, Keltner, Foster, Carey, Hutch...so on and so on.

I think the 602, Traditionals and Masters are the pinnacle of cymbal making. What has peaked my interest is the "dark sparkle" that sounds so beautiful (exotic?), in a jazz context. I've tried every brand, Paiste feel and sound nothing like them. Not saying one is better, there's definitely a place for the K sound. What often gets overlooked are the darker sounds, which I have become crazy for.

Yes, they have bright almost eq'ed sounds, but on the other hand, mysterious vibey/full tones. They're not for everyone. I think all the cymbal companies are fantastic, but Paiste caught my attention since I was 14...maybe the advertising , or because they're from Switzerland and I'm from Jersey...
Those who catch the fever, dive down the rabbit hole.

Paiste can be extremely explosive and subtle with the right touch. That video, while a helpful resource to get oriented with the company, just scrapes the surface.

Last edited:

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3. Do you think that the way the cymbals were all played-- as rock cymbals-- hid the distinctiveness of the Paiste lines?
Yes. I find most cymbal playing videos don’t really demonstrate the full range of a cymbal. Nothing wrong with it, but if you only bash cymbals you severely limit the number of different tones otherwise possible.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I find theres a shimmery glassiness to all Paiste's, perhaps mostly the 2002's and signature alloy ones but I mainly get them for the consistency. I've had a few duplicates over the years and they've been so similar. Really impressed with that. I like how my Traditionals and 602 feel when I play too, so buttery.

They never, to the best of my knowledge,had any quality control issues . Paiste is pretty well the only cymbal I would buy off the internet and know exactly what I'm getting .

Their alloy, lathing and hammering is uniquely their own and they've managed to keep it to themselves .

Turks have historically produced iconic cymbals .... but Lithuanians ? Evidently yes .

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste will also allow you to mix and match quite easily. I can pair my Signatures with Twenty's or 602's and they all sound like a cohesive unit - happy to be together.

The only way you can do that with a company like Zildjian is to go thru the stacks of cymbals and do your own ear matching in a store.

At this point after years of buying and selling, trading, being a Cymbalholic, I have centered my remaining cymbals around various Paiste's and a set of Mehmets which I really love (the Mehmets are dark, but have that stick sparkle too). I have only a few Zildjians I have stubbornly kept because they are such nice examples of what they are, but harder to fit in with anything I have anymore. I tried to get a full set of Redesigned A's and each one was so unique they all sounded like they came from different companies. I wish they would have had just a little consistency.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
Simple they make the best cymbals. been playing paiste since my 1st day. I bought out a closing 5 star music stores cymbal inventory in the 2000's, I got over 900 cymbals all lines from Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Istanbul, Bosphurs, Meinl. I tried them all out, I ended up with my original 602's and 2002's from all the rest.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I just traded for my first Paiste.

It's a 20" Prototype Signature ride. I'm not sure if this is a series or not though. Are the Prototypes one off cymbals like the name would suggest? Because the hammering on mine does seem unique even to other Prototypes.

Anyway, she is a complex cymbal, kind of quiet and produces a nice tone for jazz work, a little dark, a little dry with just enough wash. Not to much of anything, so it's a nice well balanced mix. I can't really compare it to any other cymbal I've played.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"They have the Best Vinyl stickers I've ever seen."
free too.
So I'll say " Outstanding in their field advertising capabilities "

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
They never, to the best of my knowledge,had any quality control issues . Paiste is pretty well the only cymbal I would buy off the internet and know exactly what I'm getting .

Their alloy, lathing and hammering is uniquely their own and they've managed to keep it to themselves .

Turks have historically produced iconic cymbals .... but Lithuanians ? Evidently yes .
That’s an important observation. I have limited knowledge of cymbal making. But, I would think that the process is very different between e.g. Paiste and Zildjian. I’ve only owned Zildjians, but, I would not buy one without playing it first. The variation between different cymbals of the exact same model is just too variable. From my limited experience, every Zildjian is unique. When you own a Zildjian cymbal, it is pretty much the only one of its kind.

On the other hand, Paiste is like the Penn tennis balls of cymbals. You’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all. From what I’ve seen and heard from others, a particular model of Paiste cymbal is virtually identical to all other cymbals of the same model. So, it’s much easier to buy one online and know what you’re getting.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s an important observation. I have limited knowledge of cymbal making. But, I would think that the process is very different between e.g. Paiste and Zildjian.
VERY different.....PAiste rolled sheets for most lines, gives the consistency. They have really mastered this method.
Zildjian tried and true old school Turkish cast method.
Both have their merits.
I strongly recommend seeing a video of cymbal making, reveals a lot why some are so inconsistent. The trick is to find that one great individual.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
VERY different.....PAiste rolled sheets for most lines, gives the consistency. They have really mastered this method.
Zildjian tried and true old school Turkish cast method.
Both have their merits.
I strongly recommend seeing a video of cymbal making, reveals a lot why some are so inconsistent. The trick is to find that one great individual.
I have seen a few cymbal making videos in years past. Not from Paiste that I recall. But, my knowledge is still pretty limited compared to some of the members here and elsewhere.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste have this wonderful shimmer and crispy quality regardless of what line you you pick . This and the fact they all play well together is why they are my favourite cymbals . My personal favourite line are the reissued 602 Classic Sounds .

Latest posts