What Does Paiste Do That Other Companies Don't?

markkarj

Reaction score
What I love are the Paiste ability to mix and blend with any other brand regardless of alloy.
It's interesting you mention that. I've found Paiste cymbals tend to play with each other better than with other manufacturers' products. But each to their own, and I'm glad yours play well with others.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had flings with Sabian, Zildjian and Meinl & Bosphorus but always come back to Paiste. They all sound right in the mix and the mics love them. There is a Paiste sound. Either you love it or don’t. I also love Paiste’s quality and consistency.
I will say that I like to mix series up. At the present I have a combo of Giant Beat, Big Beat and Masters on my studio set up.
Very curious...I authored a thread here called "Paiste is my mistress", as I'm more of a Sabian guy, but I recognize Paiste's greatness in every way. In addition to my Sabians and Zildjians, I have 1000, 2000, 3000, 2002, 602 Blue Labels, Sound Creation, and heck, even a Nickel Silver 402. Mad respect for Paiste, and I'm happy to mix them into my palette; thank heaven that no manufacturer cares about what I play.

Dan

Han

Reaction score
I've been playing Paiste cymbals for over 30 years now. My initial attraction to them was their consistency, the ability to mix and match different lines, and the way they recorded.
I was told, during a tour of the factory, that they designed their cymbals in the 1960's to get above the mid-range frequencies of rock guitars. Zildjian's were generally pitched in the same range as guitars and were getting lost during live performances. Paiste added more top end...higher frequencies...to get above the guitars. That has been described as sparkle, shimmer and a number of other things. Of course, they developed and invented many innovations through the years. Because I played a wide range of music the one thing I missed was a darker, "jazzier" sounding line.
Once they came out with the Traditionals, I found that darker sound. In the last few years they expanded their line with the Masters Series and between those and the Traditionals there is pretty much anything anyone would want in a jazz or fusion sound. I have Signatures, Traditionals, Masters, and old 1980's 602's. I also have a nice collection of the rarer Sound Creation line. The only thing missing from that line is a pair of Medium Dark Hi hats. I've found them a few times but the cost was prohibitive.

Steverayvirus

Reaction score
I watched most of the DCP video of the various Paiste lines. As I watched, I often had a thought like, "Oh, those sound like my redesigned As," or "those sound like K Customs" or whatever. What was striking to me in the video was (1) how similar the product lines really all were to each other when it came to those core models and (2) how few of the lines one couldn't come close to duplicating in other companies' lines. Now, that's true for all companies, I'm sure. And the fact that Shane kept it to essentially the same models of cymbals in each line without taking a wider angle on the uniqueness of each line probably contributed to the sameness. But a few questions:

1. After having watched that video, which lines did you hear and think, "OK, those don't sound like anyone else's cymbals? If I want that sound, I'd get Paistes."

2. For those of you more familiar with the Paiste lines: Which cymbals would you have put up as most representative of your favorite lines? Which models would you say are most distinctly Paiste?

3. Do you think that the way the cymbals were all played-- as rock cymbals-- hid the distinctiveness of the Paiste

Steverayvirus

Reaction score
I watched most of the DCP video of the various Paiste lines. As I watched, I often had a thought like, "Oh, those sound like my redesigned As," or "those sound like K Customs" or whatever. What was striking to me in the video was (1) how similar the product lines really all were to each other when it came to those core models and (2) how few of the lines one couldn't come close to duplicating in other companies' lines. Now, that's true for all companies, I'm sure. And the fact that Shane kept it to essentially the same models of cymbals in each line without taking a wider angle on the uniqueness of each line probably contributed to the sameness. But a few questions:

1. After having watched that video, which lines did you hear and think, "OK, those don't sound like anyone else's cymbals? If I want that sound, I'd get Paistes."

2. For those of you more familiar with the Paiste lines: Which cymbals would you have put up as most representative of your favorite lines? Which models would you say are most distinctly Paiste?

3. Do you think that the way the cymbals were all played-- as rock cymbals-- hid the distinctiveness of the Paiste lines?
I think after trying paiste low end and then the high end cymbals they offer a unique range . I have 2002 black label ride and sound edge hihats , 2002 red label crash and 602 crash the sounds and character is awesome. I also have 602 sound edge hihats sadly they were damaged by the roadie who packed them up , prior to me buying them in a cymbal bundle with a Pearl kit.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here it is. I haven't found another with this type of hammering even on the bell. Very cool 20" ride. A little dark, just enough sustain, nice stick articulation and a sweet sheen
View attachment 448014
It looks like a 602 ME. Perhaps the smith was trying something new or simply made an error and hammered the bell. Nevertheless, they don’t release unless they like them, so I am glad you do too.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
It looks like a 602 ME. Perhaps the smith was trying something new or simply made an error and hammered the bell. Nevertheless, they don’t release unless they like them, so I am glad you do too.
Great info again, thanks.

This bar code sticker is on the back -

IMG_20200625_110521671.jpg

So maybe it's a Signature line cymbal, or was supposed to be? Although as you said, it looks more like a 602 ME than a Signature. Maybe it was the first cymbal made on a cold, snowy Monday morning and the smith was hung over? :icon_lol:

Last edited:

tunesville

Reaction score
I've played Paiste cymbals since 1966.
Started with the original 602 cymbals. The old 602 and 602 Modern Essentials cymbals are great.
Tried Zildjian for a while, but sold them.
These days I'm mostly using Signatures and 2002 ride.
I can mix up the old & new Paiste cymbals, , and they all compliment each other.
These cymbals fit into any music genre.
And no problem cutting through loud rock.

Love that Paiste "shimmer", great musical wash!

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Call me nuts but I still can`t understand that Paiste-mania. After getting a bit disappointed with my first vintage 602 I recently listened to many sound comparisons on youtube to learn more about cymbals and especially Paistes. Considering the money they cost, none of their top series really gave me a desire to possess. There were some surprises in their low end PST series but everything above didn`t catch my attention. I was impressed by some series of Meinl and Sabian producing sounds which I didn`t feel to have heard a thousand times before. Really nice for the bucks seem to be some Zultan series.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Very curious...I authored a thread here called "Paiste is my mistress", as I'm more of a Sabian guy, but I recognize Paiste's greatness in every way. In addition to my Sabians and Zildjians, I have 1000, 2000, 3000, 2002, 602 Blue Labels, Sound Creation, and heck, even a Nickel Silver 402. Mad respect for Paiste, and I'm happy to mix them into my palette; thank heaven that no manufacturer cares about what I play.

Dan
I started playing Zildjian in the early 70s because that was really the only choice in the US(Sabian didn’t exist yet). This was before big box music stores and the internet. You bought your cymbals at either a local mom and pop music or drum store. Paiste was making great cymbals, but they were hard to find and hear first hand.

I remember seeing and playing a 2002 ride at Alamo Music in San Antonio for the first time. I was hooked! I couldn’t afford it at the time, but I did get the Paiste Profiles Book(pics below. I still have it). It had everyone who was a Paiste player and their set ups.

Fast forward to 2020. I have 25 Cymbals. All Paiste’s.

Attachments

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned more Paiste cymbals than any other brand . I always come back to Paiste and they just tick off all the boxes for me . I owned models from all the Paiste professional series but the cymbals that really do it for me are the classic 602 reissue cymbals and the Paiste Masters . This is not to say I don’t like the other models . I just have a certain affinity for the 602 and Masters . To my ear the 602 thin crashes are the perfect crashes . The sound I think of when someone wants me to describe a great crash cymbal . The 602 20” Medium ride is the best crashable ride cymbal I have ever played . It is so pretty with a very sweet ping . I miss my former 602 Medium flat ride and will get another one day .
I really like many of the Masters rides - the 24” Deep Groove ride really impressed with its versatility and the Dark and Dark Crisp rides are wonderful darker cymbals .
The 15” 602 Modern hihats are by far my favourite hihats . They do so many things well and fit into any musical situation I might play .

Latest posts