What drum hardware have you been surprised by?

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it’s DW. And not in a good way. Have a kit in trad sizes that I love but over many years, I have had almost all of their hardware stuff break or fail. I’m as surprised as anyone else but it’s true: pedals, spurs, tom holders, brackets, tension rods, you name it. Problems with all of the fabled DW hardware.

On the other hand, I’ve got some 25 year old cheap Tama Swingstar stands that have outperformed everything else and just refuse to die.

How about you?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought my Yamaha throne back in 1985 and it is still going strong today. I'm a big guy so it surprises me that the seat is still as firm as the day I bought it.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I am really impressed with the Tama Classic series hardware line. I like it so much I sold my whole set of DW Ultralight hardware. The Tama is slightly heavier and far more solid and the hit stand and snare stand are far superior IMHO. I really like the compact padded bag that comes with the set.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have almost all my original Tama and Yamaha stands that I bought in 1983. 37 years and several hundreds of gigs later, I've replaced only the cymbal sleeves and felts. Swapped some of it with lighter Yamaha stuff in 1996, and that has also been the only thing I've switched.

Dan

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i play ludwig 1123-1 hi-hat, 1400 cymbal stands and a tama-camco bass pedal.

back in the day had yamaha, dw, and rogers BIG hardware with double bracing and boom stands.

believe me or not - you don't need the bulk. i use 24'' cymbals and 16'' hats.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a kit one time that had all DW hardware. I am a Yamaha hardware man to the grave. I looked the DW stuff over and did not care for it. The functionality, compared to the Yamaha was not well thought out. I remember taking it to Guitar Center and theY said said straight up that they didn’t want it, I sold it on eBay and took a beating on it, underestimated the shipping and even lost money there.

rstange1

Reaction score
Original Rogers Swivo-matic hardware is surprisingly robust and functional considering how delicate it looks compared to modern gear.

I've done OK with most DW hardware except for easily stripped memory locks on the Ultralight snare and hi-hat stands.

Yamaha almost always surprises me in a good way, but I had a brand new bass pedal arrive with a rusty beater and a DS-750 throne that had a very frustrating memory lock that would not move without tools/force after being tightened once and subsequently loosened.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ddrum RX hardware is excellent. The RIMS mounts they use are really great! My rack toms hardly move at all. When they're set, THEY'RE SET.
It looks TONS better than the Tama boom I bought at the local store (mainly pissed because they're a horrible business to deal with, and the stand was WAY OVERPRICED). And it's twice as sturdy.

I miss my DW3000 bass pedal I had 25 years ago. That was about the best piece of hardware I had seen up to that point.

I picked up a barely used PDP throne (just the cushion). WRETCHED! Hard as a rock. Luckily I only paid $35 (which I still regret).

Browny

Reaction score
My Tama pedal, an Iron Cobra 'Powerglide' from maybe 16 off years ago? I've worn out multiple beaters (got a few mm left before I need to replace the Danmar hard white felt on there now) and am on my second spring as the first broke/wore out around the 12 year mark. Aside form that, I've never really done anything for it. I think I may have put some bike chain oil on the chain once, maybe 10 years back, but that's it. never been babied, just gets thrown into a hardware bag, lost a good deal of the paint on it now, still going strong, still silent. In hindsight, probably my best drum related purchase.

I recently picked up a 1st Chair Round Rider XL and reckon I'll have a similar Tama experience there. It's big, chunky, probably overbuilt, but the to is firm and comfortable and the base is rock solid. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's still doing it's thing in 2030.

I'm also really impressed with Pearl's new-ish 150 series flat based hardware. I bought a couple of a the cymbal stands. It's closer to the Ludwig equivalent than the super light DW6000 and Tama Classic stuff (although I'm not sure I'd trust those two with a 20" LH up high enough to get above my hats and tom). The base section of the stands can be reversed to become a 'normal' single braced stand and the top extension section has a tiller so it can convert to a small boom if needed. And they were maybe 35% cheaper than the Ludwig & DW. Seems the perfect 'middle ground' for lighter weight, flat based stands, with the benefit of a little extra flexibility with the reversible base and convertible boom top.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Crush and in a good way. Crush is a relatively new company and the the lugs, mounts and the new pedal I just got on blowout is nothing but top notch. I got this kit for the extremely low price and the North American maple shells and so far I have been nothing thrilled and excited about the drums and hardware alike. The pedal is great, smooth and feels amazing under the foot. The mounts on the kit are on par with all of the high end kits that I’ve had in the past and I have had over 45 kits. Some great kits and hardware for the money to be had on Crush drums right now and they drums sound great.

Last edited:

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig Classic bracket. Reasonably sturdy for me (except the gull-wing spurs which tend to splay), and doesn't really choke a 3-ply shell.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
In a good way: the Mapex throne I bought about 30 years ago.
Lightweight (single braced, no spindle), compact, sturdy. Has been in constant use all these years - during the time I had stopped playing drums it served as a piano stool for the wife and kids, and occasionally as an emergency seat when we had more people than chairs in the house. Still in perfect condition. Didn´t expect that for the modest price I paid.

In a bad way: Sonor 2000 snare stand.
The wing nut for the tilter fell off after about two years of very light use. I never even tinkered with the tilter angle, I´m a set-and-forget guy, yet somehow the threads stripped. I put it on backwards and so far it works, still it shouldn´t have happened.

Oh, and my Yamaha 600 series hardware is still going strong after 30 years with no issues whatsoever - but knowing the brand this didn´t exacrtly surprise me. :)

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can add a few items to this list for myself... the first is the Tama Classic Series single tom stand (HTS58F). I use to struggle to get happy with a standard snare stand holding up my rack tom (leg splay, height adjustment, choking the tone) and then the Tama came along and changed all that! A very flat bottom that slides easily under my kick, solid as a rock and lifts very tall. The best part is the sound... I do not really perceive much dampening on the tom at all. I've no idea why not as it's essentially just a tall snare stand, but all my toms still sound full and open on it.

Speaking of stands, I am a HUGE fan the Gibraltar 8700 flat base hardware having several sets... for me, it's the sweet spot in the intersection between price, stability, full features and weight. Classic flat base looks but all the benefits of strong new hardware.

Last would be the Porter & Davies Tactile Drum Thrones... the most insane drum purchase I have ever made and now I am addicted to it!

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Love the Tama Stagemaster stuff that comes with the Tama Imperialstar budget sets. I think this stuff is as good as anything on the market.
HATE the DW high end snare stand. Way over designed, constantly slips and tips over if bumped into.
HATE any DW hi hat. They always rock back and forth. You even see it in their own videos.
LOVE DW hardware resale value. If you buy and sell stuff, DW stands and pedals always sell quickly for good money, much more so than any other brand.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I've been surprised by some Sonor stands that basically fell apart (Force 3000 rental kit for a tour).

I'm surprised by the lightweight Tama cymbal stand that is still going strong 25 years later. Also surprised that the vinyl on my much newer Tama Ergo-Rider throne has begun to crack all over the place.

I was probably most surprised when I got a vintage Ludwig kit (first vintage kit ever) and realized that the tom mounts didn't have wing nuts and I needed to use a wrench to attach them.

drumsforme

Reaction score
I have Yamaha stands from the 80's that are still going strong. Hardware that has played thousands (not hundreds) of gigs since purchasing them new in 1984 with my RC kit....
Just throw them in a hard case, they lived a tough life and have outlasted all others....

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
The new Taiwanese Dixon products are first class / professional . Not the same Dixon we used to know .

The new Yamaha aluminum are worth every penny . Sturdy , light and fold up small . No more heavy lifting for decent hardware that won't budge .

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Good #1: The new(er) Ludwig Atlas Classic flat-base cymbal stands. I have a mix of straights and booms and even though they're small and light-weight they hold everything without budging (even my 22" K Heavy Ride and 22" Swish Knocker, both on booms).

Good #2: The new(er) Ludwig Atlas Pro snare stand (with the Pillar Clutch). Unlike my cymbals, which tend to stay put, my snare drum has always tended to creep around on the floor. I've used original Walberg & Auge Buck Rogers stands, original (early '70s) Ludwig Atlas snare stands, top-of-the-line Pearl stands (with the universal adjustment) and my snare has always danced around under my sticks. But this new Atlas Pro stand absolutely stays put; no matter how hard I play it doesn't move one bit. It weighs a friggin' ton, but it works.

Bad #1: Yamaha single-braced cymbal stands. I bought 5 or 6 brand-new in 1984 and every single one of them wound up with dents on the pipes (from the wing-nuts) that deformed the pipes so much they couldn't be telescoped and eventually the stands couldn't be used at all.

Bad #2: Every single piece of drum hardware made before the 1970s that wasn't Rogers Swiv-O-Matic, the aforementioned Walberg Buck Rogers stand or the Walberg rail consolette tom holder. All the rest was 100% junk that didn't do even the minimum of what it was supposed to. The mounted tom holders in particular were completely worthless — the reason that everyone's drumset looked the same in the 1940s was that those holders only let you put your mounted toms in one position (and didn't hold them in that position very well). And forget about the bass drum pedals. You young whipper-snappers don't realize just how good you have it when it comes to hardware!

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
a sunlite straight cymbal stand i bought about 20 years ago. it has been on every gig since i bought it, and it is super light/thin.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A Hal Leonard branded snare stand! I needed a cheap stand for my cheap practice snare. I searched online for the cheapest new one I could find. Found it thru WalMart's website (from Walmart, not a Walmart seller). It's the old school style one with the adjustable arm. I paid $15 with free shipping. I can truly say that it was a fantastic purchase!