What drum hardware have you been surprised by?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gibraltar snare stand a kind dude tossed in with a purchase about 15 years ago.

I’d never really heard of Gibraltar so I just assumed it was some cheap line. I thought only big name drum companies made good hardware.

Been using it ever since. Hundreds of gigs. What a good, solid, simple piece of kit.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
The new Taiwanese Dixon products are first class / professional . Not the same Dixon we used to know .

The new Yamaha aluminum are worth every penny . Sturdy , light and fold up small . No more heavy lifting for decent hardware that won't budge .
Benny, can you get into some detail with the Dixon stuff, please? It doesn't seem like many people have experience with it. i'd love to know what you think of it.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gibraltar snare stand a kind dude tossed in with a purchase about 15 years ago.

I’d never really heard of Gibraltar so I just assumed it was some cheap line. I thought only big name drum companies made good hardware.

Been using it ever since. Hundreds of gigs. What a good, solid, simple piece of kit.
Funny you mentioned that. Years ago I thought Gibraltar was some low end brand as well. Maybe they were perceived that way when they started out, I don't know. I was out of drumming for a while and when I got back in, I started buying Gibraltar because I saw they only made hardware and it was good stuff. I've ended up with everything Gibraltar in their pro level stuff and couldn't be happier. And I've found that they really have a hardware solution for everything.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
BAD: Sound percussion throne, motorcycle seat (is that right?) style. The seat itself was wobbly as sh!t, yet the legs were incredibly heavy duty. Also busted my rump. Not a good throne at all.

1589686430233.png

Also from Sound Percussion -- a cymbal stacker arm. Exactly what I wanted from the picture...but it was a pain in the ass. Always slipping and spinning on one axis or another. And I only had a 10" splash on it. Plus, you had to tighten the hell out of the bottom lucking nut, to the point where I shredded the threads on the main stand cymbal mount. Epic fail.

GOOD: My Mapex hardware for my Meridian Maple. All held up excellently. Never an issue in the 9 years I owned it, and it was just as strong when I sold it. Functional, heavy, strong, well designed and I thought it looked good. Considering this was for an intermediate kit, it was an incredible bang for the buck.

GREAT: The aformentioned Yamaha cymbal stack system. Same today as it was in the 80's (it least in principal). A really great idea.
This one might sound like blasphemy, but again from the 80's, the Yamaha ball and socket tom mounts that penetrated the shell. Easily the most flexible tom mounting system I've ever used. And the fact that the mounting rod was so long, gave you a ton of extra flexibility in placing your toms.

From Tama, the MTH1000S tom mount. Yes, big and clunky, but ridiculously flexible and the only thing I've seen to provide the same range of placement as the old Yamaha mount.
1589686932671.png

HONORABLE MENTION: The Ludwig Atlas Hardware Bag
The Mapex MAATS mounting system. Simply for thinking outside the box and trying to provide something new. I have yet to see one in person, and having no experience with it, I don;t know if it's the next RIMS our simply a marketing gimmick. I suspect it's really somewhere in between. And yes, I openly acknowledge it's fugly.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Yamaha:
I still use a bunch of Yamaha hardware I bought in '83 and it looks like it will easily last for the remainder of my playing life, or outlast me!
Astounding. Rugged. Reliable.

Gibraltar:
Currently using a full single-braced Gibraltar hardware package with throne & pedal for most gigging since 2005 and it's been fantastic, no issues at all.
Affordable, smart hardware with almost unlimited options.

Mapex:
As stated above, extremely well built and functional hardware from the Mapex 700 series on up to their top-tier offerings. Sleek high quality modern hardware, just like their drums.

I'd recommend any brand above.
Buy once, cry once.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got some Yamaha 700 series hardware that i use at home and man, I've had that stuff for a long time (most of it at least 10 years) and I swear i could sell it as new. Relatedly, the Yamaha FP7210 is still my favorite pedal on the market and I've now tried most of the high end, fancy ones.

The worst piece of hardware I've ever used was definitely the Sonor "rocket launcher" tom mount. Stable and adjustable? Yes. Over-engineered and impossibly heavy and really ugly? Also yes.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can add a few items to this list for myself... the first is the Tama Classic Series single tom stand (HTS58F). I use to struggle to get happy with a standard snare stand holding up my rack tom (leg splay, height adjustment, choking the tone) and then the Tama came along and changed all that! A very flat bottom that slides easily under my kick, solid as a rock and lifts very tall. The best part is the sound... I do not really perceive much dampening on the tom at all. I've no idea why not as it's essentially just a tall snare stand, but all my toms still sound full and open on it.

Speaking of stands, I am a HUGE fan the Gibraltar 8700 flat base hardware having several sets... for me, it's the sweet spot in the intersection between price, stability, full features and weight. Classic flat base looks but all the benefits of strong new hardware.

Last would be the Porter & Davies Tactile Drum Thrones... the most insane drum purchase I have ever made and now I am addicted to it!
+1 for the Gibraltar flat base stands.

I got a full set when it first came out, it was so cheap (at the time). I figured I'd try it out for the gigging kit. Well over ten years later, over a 1000 shows, countless set ups/tear downs, in and out of the hardware case, in vans/buses/my ride/trailers/etc, extreme cold weather, extreme hot (humid) weather, ran into by overzealous drunk chicks, pushed over, knocked down, dropped, on and on it goes, it's the best I've had.

Love it so much, I've bought extra sets over the years. And there sits the original set, in the case, ready for the next adventure.

Hardware.JPG

Rock Salad

Reaction score
3F6C66AE-06A2-4CCC-9E81-D784F72A7A6A.jpeg

Got this Hi Hat stand at the pawn shop/used instrument store brand new for $39. It has been great, smooth, quiet, stable and not particularly heavy. I don't even know what this brand is. My medium weight 15" hats are fine with the lowest spring setting (adjustable too.)

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was playing a mixed bag of hardware back in the day, but mostly Tama, some CB700 and some Ludwig.

And then I played a kit with all Yamaha hardware.

THAT surprised me. If the hardware is this good, the drums must be this good, too. So, Yamaha's hardware convinced me to look closer at their drums.

The rest is history.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been fairly happy with most of my hardware. I have said it many times before, but if you want best bang for your buck double braced hardware, Tama Roadpro can't be beat. Buy them once and you will never need to replace them in your lifetime.

The Gibraltar flat base stuff is pretty good as well and I was surprised how much more open and airy my cymbals sounded being on them. Very different to a traditional tripod based stand. Big fan for light weight jazzy cymbals.

The Pearl 900 series cymbal stands are a bit of a let down to me. Small tubing diameter combined with thin tubing weight, inserts that tend to crack and memory locks that are not hinged make for stands that make you say... Should have bought more Road Pros. I keep them because I have a whole set of Pearl hardware and my drums don't travel so they are fine once set up and in their final position. I would never recommend them for someone who gigs. Tama Road Pro all the way.

But my biggest disappointment, ironically, is my Tama Road Pro double tom stand. Yes, the rest of the line is great, but this double tom stand is a total dud. Its stable and strong, but it chokes out every tom you mount on it. Doesn't matter how you adjust the stand or what type of suspension mounting bracket the tom has, it chokes the life out of the drum. Too bad as its a nice looking and operating stand.

As a final note, I dont think I will ever buy another snare stand that doesn't have a ball mount adjustment for the basket. Honestly, the absolute freedom to set the angle of the snare and even to rotate the snare on this style of stand makes every traditional hinge style basket mount feel like something out of the dark ages. Unfortunately, manufacturers know this and they charge about 50% more for this feature. So I guess its a matter of having a "buy once, cry once" attitude towards this type of thing.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Inde hardware has been knocking me out lately. The sprung tom brackets work as well as the best isolation mounts. I love the new single Tom mount too.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW hardware. The chroming is terrible. For any age they released.

As much as I love The usefulness of the hardware, its dursbility in chroming fails. E. Ve. Ry. Time.

I have tried this a few years and get dissapointed with both new and second hand hardware.

So I am switching back to Yamaha for cymbal stands too. I always kept using the hh stand and later on the entry level pedal as that small thing kicks ass).

Which is lighter too and even the 70’s hardware is to die for.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I also have not found most DW hardware (apart from their bass pedals) to be worth anywhere near the price. Poor designs and manufacturing packaged as though it was the pinnacle of boutique.

More of an actual surprise, I “upgraded” to Tama’s highest end hihat stand, and found I didn’t like the feel/action as much as some of my less expensive stands. Sold it quickly. I mean it was really well made in every way, but it just didn’t flow the way I like and a couple of cheaper stands deliver.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 25 year old Cadeson bass drum pedal and hi-hat stand that show no sign of wearing out and two Yamaha cymbals stands that are probably older. My $15 unbranded drum stool is around the same age .......

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have always disliked the 9000 DW snare stands. They are heavy, bulky, and inelegantly designed. If not set up carefully they will tip over! Compare this to the Yamaha ball mount snare stand. The only one I ever use now.

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW - utterly non-ergonometric, heavy/clunky and over-engineered to the point of counter-effective.

And fugly as a turret.

wuffb

Reaction score
Have all sorts of hardware . . . new stuff and old stuff . . . so let's go thru: 80's Yamaha Stands . . . STILL working PERFECTLY . . . trust them with my PHX kit. Tama clamps from the 80's . . . still working PERFECTLY. Pearl Demon Pedals . . . 11 years old, working flawlessly. DW High Hats - 5000 and 3000 series . . . my 5000 series is over 25 years old . . . still works perfectly. DW Rack systems . . . Heavy, reliable . . . easy to set up and strike . . . but if the stage isn't perfectly level, annoying, so I don't use them to play out anymore. I have two of them and use them for my Home PHX kit and my Roland TD kit . . . much better than the cheapo Roland rack. Yamaha Snare stands . . . rock solid 80's version and 2000's version. DW remote hi-hat . . . cable is a pain in the A**, but mounting options well worth the effort ... for use at home, NOT playing out. Yamaha Hexrack 2 . . . used it a couple of times playing out . . . light, well designed, great rack for playing out on a level stage . . . but I now use it on one of my Roland kits and I love it! Now using Yamaha Crosstown stands for my smaller PHX kit which I use to play out and am VERY pleased with the results . . . that being said . . . set floor legs LOW and WIDE . . . adds much stability to the super light hardware. For rehearsals now, I took some an old DTX rack, paired it with some crosstown legs and added my Yammie DTX pads with module and it's a super lightweight e-kit that works well. In the end am now hybriding DW upper stand parts with Yamaha Crosstown bases and LOVING the results . . . see the 8146 jpeg . . .

Attachments

chevvies

Reaction score
The lugs on my Tama Superstar original shells, one by one the 'aluminium' part that holds the screw has snapped off, rendering them utterly useless, I have tried in vain to source a batch of new lugs that would fit.

Looks like I'll be left with a set of fabulous shells, and that's it!

In a less negative way, I have a Rogers Swiv-O-Matic hi hat stand formerly Simon Kirke's that dates from early seventies, when I got it it was covered in gaffa tape, after I took it all off and cleaned it up, it seemed almost new.

David M Scott

Reaction score
The new Taiwanese Dixon products are first class / professional . Not the same Dixon we used to know .

The new Yamaha aluminum are worth every penny . Sturdy , light and fold up small . No more heavy lifting for decent hardware that won't budge .

David M Scott

Reaction score

Latest posts