what drum wrap do ludwig factories today use?

bon viesta

Reaction score
i’m guessing delmar drum wraps, but i’m not totally sure. surprisingly haven’t found a single thread asking this question. also does gretsch use the same delmar wraps, you know when it comes to pearls and sparkles and everything?

Reaction score
Their website lists both Ludwig and Gretsch as "Our Happy Clients", so they at least use some of their products. There's every possibility that Ludwig sources specific finishes elsewhere, but I have zero knowledge of the drum wrap industry.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pretty sure Delmar is the only place you can get traditional drum wrap, at least in the USA. Even at that the pearl part of those laminates come from Italy.

At one time there were multiple suppliers, including DuPont and Monsanto. Bill Ludwig mentions in his autobiography that when these big chemical concerns dropped those product lines in the late 1970s Ludwig was forced to buy from the one remaining supplier (It was not Delmar) and that product was prone to shrinkage which led to the infamous solution of riveting the wrap seams.

Last edited:

gmiller598

Reaction score
Does Delmar sell to individuals or only companies? I'd like to consider adding a left side floor tom to my set but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a matching classic maple. Just curious if I ever found a good floor tom at a cheap price if it would be worth having it recovered in the matching blue sparkle finish.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Delmar sell to individuals or only companies? I'd like to consider adding a left side floor tom to my set but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a matching classic maple. Just curious if I ever found a good floor tom at a cheap price if it would be worth having it recovered in the matching blue sparkle finish.
There would be a large minimum order quantity. Delmar would not sell a small quantity to an individual. On the other hand, Precision Drum Co. would sell you wrap, or do an excellent job of rewrapping the drum.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A fairly large order needs to be placed to get wrap from Delmar. Precision Drum, some years ago, placed an order for Mardi Gras Pearl, but only after securing enough orders from individuals to justify the order. Here's my custom snare drum with that wrap! I sent the shell to Precision to insure it was installed perfectly!

-Mark

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Delmar really only does wholesale sales but if you call Precision they can place special orders for various wraps including ones they don't typically stock. You can get both Sparkles and Marine Pearls as custom colors with lots of variations although you have to buy full sheets, which are expensive and may take a while to be made.

If you want something beyond a special color such as a custom oyster then you hit the point where you have to order in a large quantity to get it to happen, along the lines of 300-400 sheets. Which even at a wholesale price (I'd assume 50-60 bucks per sheet) is an expensive proposition.

Regular Blue Sparkle is no big deal and can be easily found from every wrap distributor (although they all get it from Delmar).

gmiller598

Reaction score
Delmar really only does wholesale sales but if you call Precision they can place special orders for various wraps including ones they don't typically stock. You can get both Sparkles and Marine Pearls as custom colors with lots of variations although you have to buy full sheets, which are expensive and may take a while to be made.

If you want something beyond a special color such as a custom oyster then you hit the point where you have to order in a large quantity to get it to happen, along the lines of 300-400 sheets. Which even at a wholesale price (I'd assume 50-60 bucks per sheet) is an expensive proposition.

Regular Blue Sparkle is no big deal and can be easily found from every wrap distributor (although they all get it from Delmar).
Thanks. I guess I never really compared warps from various companies or thought they might get them from the same place. it's good to know that a matching blue sparkle wrap should be easy to find.