header.nohb.html

What drummer had the most affect on their bands sound / identity??

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Purely as a drummer, Ginger Baker in most things he did, maybe not the Fela Kuti stuff

Overall, Levon Helm

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread idea.

I’ll throw out a few candidates:

Keith Moon - we have proof that he was irreplaceable, since they never sounded the same (or as good) after he passed.

John Bonham - the band knew he wasn’t replaceable. Aside from a few shows, the band never did anything new after his death.

Neil Peart - similar to The Who, look at what Rush became after he joined. He had a huge influence on the band and elevated them far above the fun-but-derivative rock band of the first album into an iconoclastic act.

Lars Ulrich - here through sheer force of personality and vision. Say what you want about his playing, his leadership made Metallica into one of the biggest bands of all time.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I’m hard pressed to think of someone with more presence in his band’s sound than Stewart Copeland. Divide up the components of the Police’s musical personality and his gene contribution is a massive share. Everything in their sound feels so laid bare already, Stewart’s drums feature all the more heavily within their genetic makeup, from his tuning to his deliberately unconventional patterns and grooves.

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Densmore ????
YES! Huge Densmore fan, and even though I like and respect Jim Keltner, he actually trashed him in a drum channel clip with Neil and a couple of other folks. I found that pretty uncool of him.