What drummer had the most affect on their bands sound / identity??

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Finally found the Keltner clip, starts at around 10:45 into it. After listening to it again I realized that Keltner wasn’t really trashing Densmore at all, he was praising him but said that Densmore had very little technique. I don’t know…some of his ride patterns and overall feel, that stuff is not easy to replicate, and some of it is done with technique, IMO.

Densmore is iconic and his technique is intrinsic.

frey01270

Reaction score
Bruford, everyone he played with.
I have to agree there,The "Yes Album" had such an effect on me (John Anderson & Steve Howe came into the dressing room just as we were having a brake while playing iat the Top Ten Club Hamburg,Germany),And then "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge" came,They too had such an impression on me.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree there,The "Yes Album" had such an effect on me (John Anderson & Steve Howe came into the dressing room just as we were having a brake while playing iat the Top Ten Club Hamburg,Germany),And then "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge" came,They too had such an impression on me.
Wait - who were you playing with back then?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sure Stewart C - those crazy fills, beats, rhythms and sounds really elevated the Police & created/cemented that island reggae sound......

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will make my pitch for Ian.
Correct me if i’m wrong but I believe he is the only member of Deep Purple on all of their Records. ?
Big fan of Paice here, and I believe you are correct: I ‘m pretty sure he’s the only member of DP who played on every one of their records.

Furious Styles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt is another guy with just a unique sound. He was a huge part of the Soundgarden sound. He still sounds good with PJ but his feel was made for the heavier Soundgarden sound IMO.
I always felt Matt Cameron sounded like a hired gun in PJ. Jack Irons played on my 2 favorite PJ albums. Just loved the greasy, slinky beats he played.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, so many…
I’m going to say any band that has “made” had great drummers, all in there own way and shaped the bands sound.

To that, some fav’s of mine that really stood out;
Cobham with Mahivishnu
Lenny White -RTF
Roger Taylor
Ringo
Charlie Watts
Levon
Carter with DMB
Bruford - Yes, KC, Bruford
Phil Collins
Gavin Harrison
Simon Phillips with anyone he’s played with…
Danny Carey
Danny Seraphine
Bobby Colomby with BST
So many more…

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And the conclusion to this thread is: the drummer makes or breaks a band!
Nuff said!

Another one: Alan Meyers from Devo totally shaped the sound of their early and best records. And his departure was the really the end for Devo!
Devo! "Whip It" was a workout. I remember back when in a cover band we were doing "Whip It" and I let go of a stick that helicoptered and pert near decapitated the bass player. Intense!