WHAT DRUMMERS DO YOU HEAR IN YOUR PLAYING?

NickSchles

Reaction score
So, the last few months I’ve been neck-deep in learning Tower Of Power songs and David Garibaldi’s grooves. Between lessons, I got noodling and came up with this groove:

Now, we all know and love half-time shuffles, yet it dawned on me that Garibaldi has started to show in my playing, and I think this groove manifests it in one way or another. I’m really pleased about it, as I really love his fluid playing and how he adds colour with ghost notes and deepen groove!

That said, the way I’ve mixed the groove, the ghost notes aren’t subtle anymore due to the compression, but I wanted something dirty-sounding. Not too long ago I put up a video on Instagram discussing what makes a drummer unique and the benefits of learning material note for note. Watch it here, if you like…

If you'd like a PDF transcription of the groove, you can download it here.

What drummers do you hear in your playing?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've stolen licks from a lot of drummers. My feel is more like drummers on the STAX records of the sixties.

Some years ago my band mates at the time and I were listening to the play back of one of our gigs. The guitarist said that my playing reminded him of Mick Waller. The first Jeff Beck album, "Truth", is one of my favorite albums. I guess that it would figure that I would "soak" up some of Mick Waller's style without even trying.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Influenced by many, but I think the ones that are most “represented” are Richie Hayward, Jeff Porcaro, and Paul Leim. I work hard to sound like me, but I certainly hope I also do them justice!

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On a good day...JM Van Eaton, WS Holland, DJ Fontana, Buddy Harman, Hal Blaine, David Lovering, Kenney Dale Johnson.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For rock, without a doubt Sean Kinney. I listened to Alice in Chains way too much back in the 90s. One of their tunes came on the radio Sunday, and I heard one of "my" drum fills I used on a recent song. I was like, oh...so THAT's where I got that. And I love hitting the snare underneath crashes, so there's a little Lars in there too.

These days, I'm trying to be Mark Guiliana, but don't hear any of him yet!

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Walden,Cobham,Gadd, Seraphine,Colomby.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What drummers I wish showed up in my playing and the ones that actually do are 2 totally different things!!

I strive for a combo Levon-Roger Hawkins-Howard Grimes.

I may hear tiny tiny bits of their influence here and there in the way I play, tune and record my drums. But I'm still at an early stage in my learning (this includes playing, tuning and recording) so nothing is quite set in stone and there is PLENTY of room yet for evolution.

There's also a smidge of early Strokes' Fabrizzio Moretti garage rock-ey feel in there somewhere, seeping in a lot of what I do.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch Mitchell . Ian Paice. Don Brewer. Michael Shrieves. Nick Ceroli. Keith Moon. Ginger Baker. just a handful of my early influences, I borrowed/embraced a lot of their material!

Ox Han

Reaction score
I've stolen licks from a lot of drummers. My feel is more like drummers on the STAX records of the sixties.

Some years ago my band mates at the time and I were listening to the play back of one of our gigs. The guitarist said that my playing reminded him of Mick Waller. The first Jeff Beck album, "Truth", is one of my favorite albums. I guess that it would figure that I would "soak" up some of Mick Waller's style without even trying.
That would most likely be Al Jackson Jr. It may also be Willie Hall (post '68) or Roger Hawkins depending on the artist

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I hear these guys in my playing, but I know I'd like to!

Art Blakey, Stan Levey and Patrik Benek (YouTube demo drummer for drumcenter cz)

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go through these waves of catching myself "interpreting" my influences. A little Elvin here and there, a little Bill Berry from REM, a little Mitch Mitchell and, of course, probably too much Brian Blade. At the end of it all, I'm still trying to find myself and not copy the forefathers and just play the tune the best way I can.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have no idea, I just try to hit them in time or at least reasonably in time.

Would be more interesting to let all the drummers here listen to some of our playing and tell us what they hear :)

I've attached a few of my songs below that I think are representative of my work, let me know who they sound like.

gabo

And just for fun, an ancient video that never made it to MTV, but did make it to MuchMusic. hahaha..

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been told ... Bonham and Levon , head swelling compliments indeed .