WHAT DRUMMERS DO YOU HEAR IN YOUR PLAYING?

joepalm

Reaction score
I really like this question and have thought about it through the years. But to be honest, I don't know which influential drummers show in my playing. I once had another drummer tell me he heard Bonham's influence in my playing. As much I LOVE Bonzo and consider him part of my drumming DNA, I've never thought I sounded like him. Sometimes when I listen back to recordings I've played on, I think I hear a little Russ Kunkel or Ronnie Tutt? I probably need other drummers tell me who they hear? If you are bored and feel like listening, tell my what you think?

Peace and Love.

joepalm

Reaction score
I have no idea, I just try to hit them in time or at least reasonably in time.

Would be more interesting to let all the drummers here listen to some of our playing and tell us what they hear :)

I've attached a few of my songs below that I think are representative of my work, let me know who they sound like.

gabo

And just for fun, an ancient video that never made it to MTV, but did make it to MuchMusic. hahaha..

I think I hear a bit of Topper Headon in your playing...whom I LOVE! Thanks for sharing!!

jmcohen

Reaction score

Would be more interesting to let all the drummers here listen to some of our playing and tell us what they hear :)

I've attached a few of my songs below that I think are representative of my work, let me know who they sound like.

gabo

And just for fun, an ancient video that never made it to MTV, but did make it to MuchMusic. hahaha..

I am hearing Stan Lynch and Bun E. Nice use of flams!

Josh

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ian Mosley - Marillion
Phil Rudd -AC/DC
Doug “ Cosmo “ Clifford - CCR
Hoping to add Buddy Rich to the mix !!!

Last edited:

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like this question and have thought about it through the years. But to be honest, I don't know which influential drummers show in my playing. I once had another drummer tell me he heard Bonham's influence in my playing. As much I LOVE Bonzo and consider him part of my drumming DNA, I've never thought I sounded like him. Sometimes when I listen back to recordings I've played on, I think I hear a little Russ Kunkel or Ronnie Tutt? I probably need other drummers tell me who they hear? If you are bored and feel like listening, tell my what you think?

Peace and Love.
I hear the Russ Kunkel, nicely done.

gabo

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

gabo

Really enjoyed this, especially the song "Again." The whole band locks in really well and your playing really serves the song. I'll second the Topper Headon influence, but in the end, it was all you. Well done.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this, especially the song "Again." The whole band locks in really well and your playing really serves the song. I'll second the Topper Headon influence, but in the end, it was all you. Well done.
Hey thanks a lot for that. Made my day!! That's always my objective, to play the song, so that comment is most appreciated.

We are currently working on a new album, I'll post some tunes when they are available in the "video" section of the board.

gabo

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my own playing I can hear (in no particular order) Buddy Rich, Ginger Baker, Gene Krupa, Bill Bruford and John Bonham, with some Billy Cobham and Jon Hiseman thrown in for seasoning. (I have no idea who anybody else may hear in my playing.)

aratts

Reaction score
Heart Of Glass by Blondie came on the radio and my wife ( who is not a musician) said, “the drummer sounds like you”, so I guess Clem Burke — which I only wish.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
So, the last few months I’ve been neck-deep in learning Tower Of Power songs and David Garibaldi’s grooves. Between lessons, I got noodling and came up with this groove:

Now, we all know and love half-time shuffles, yet it dawned on me that Garibaldi has started to show in my playing, and I think this groove manifests it in one way or another. I’m really pleased about it, as I really love his fluid playing and how he adds colour with ghost notes and deepen groove!

That said, the way I’ve mixed the groove, the ghost notes aren’t subtle anymore due to the compression, but I wanted something dirty-sounding. Not too long ago I put up a video on Instagram discussing what makes a drummer unique and the benefits of learning material note for note. Watch it here, if you like…

If you'd like a PDF transcription of the groove, you can download it here.

What drummers do you hear in your playing?
Everyone! Seriously, a short list of people I have borrowed from for my vocabulary:
-Ringo
-Steve Gadd
-Jeff Porcaro
-Kenny Aronoff
-John Bonham
-Neil Peart
-Stewart Copeland
-Simon Phillips
-Nigel Olsen
-Charlie Watts
-Louie Bellson
-Buddy Rich
-Ian Paice

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this sometime last year. This is a song that my 12 year old (now 13) daughter wrote and recorded here at the house. She played all the instruments except the drums, which I recorded. (I also did all the engineering and mixing...what an incredible amount of work all that was! Complete respect to the pros who actually know what they are doing!) I was trying to channel Dave Grohl here, loud, simple, and serving the song. So I guess I've absorbed a lot of Dave over the years. I absolutely love his drumming.

Reactions: JDA

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly I hear my most influential drummers in my head saying "That ain't it, chief." :)
But I've been told on more than a couple of occasions that my early obsession with Mitch Mitchell has definitely stuck with me.

NickSchles

Reaction score
Mostly I hear my most influential drummers in my head saying "That ain't it, chief." :)
But I've been told on more than a couple of occasions that my early obsession with Mitch Mitchell has definitely stuck with me.
Ha ha ha! And Mitch Mitchell is the bomb, so you can't really go wrong with that! :)