What Drummers made the bucks and laughed ???

DrumLug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What Drummers who sat in the seat with a band....Made it big ! Then, laughed as the money rolled in.....? I'll start it off.....Tico Torres {Bon jovi }

Re: What Drummers made the bucks and laffed ???

I saw Tico perform on the night that John Lennon was shot. He was playing a benefit at a club in Jersey near where I was living at the time. I don't really know much about him other then it seemed like he was paying his dues so to speak. A few years later he landed a great gig, not that I particularly care for that kind of music but it is undeniably good for what it is. He's a good drummer,I'm sure he worked hard, hung in there, and lucked out.Thats what it takes right? There are so many good drummers out there all deserving of a great gig. It takes a lot of hard work, persistence and luck. I understand the sentiment of the post but after you land that one in a million gig the work really begins. It's a grueling lifestyle and by the time it all winds down, no ones laughing but the lawyers.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, Charlie Watts, of course.

However, every drummer who was part of a successful band contributed to that band's success....so maybe they were trying hard to contribute to the music as well.

Most big music stars have the same story....."We started out playing dives, toured everywhere, and then one day, we were living in mansions."

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score

Well, as a nod to the thread over in Vintage... Tre Cool?
"-)

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score

Keith Moon

How about Hal Blaine and the other prolific studio drummers of days gone by? Work is work, And it probably paid as well to to drum for "Yummy Yummy Yummy. I've got love in my tummy" as it did to drum for "Turn, Turn, Turn". Tommy Tedesco was a guitarist with The Wrecking Crew. Tommy told me countless stories about taking the money and running. His book and Hal Blaine's book give lots of the details about being studio "whores" with their dignity still intact. Our own Tommy Wells can probably testify to this matter.

PureRockFury

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Matt Sorum walked into Guns N' Roses who were undoubtedly the biggest band in the world at the time. He goes from playing club dates with The Cult to playing the entire world 10x over with GNR.

dambugg

What?
Reaction score

leedybdp said:
How about Hal Blaine and the other prolific studio drummers of days gone by? Work is work, And it probably paid as well to to drum for "Yummy Yummy Yummy. I've got love in my tummy" as it did to drum for "Turn, Turn, Turn". Tommy Tedesco was a guitarist with The Wrecking Crew. Tommy told me countless stories about taking the money and running. His book and Hal Blaine's book give lots of the details about being studio "whores" with their dignity still intact. Our own Tommy Wells can probably testify to this matter.
I see your point Leedy but it's too bad alot of these guys live in relative anonimity after making some of the best pop music in the world. Simply because they were studio whores and not the shiny kid on the album cover.

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score

I think most guys will use their friends until they feel they aren't cutting it. Then when they make it big they'll bring in Gadd or Blaine for the recordings. I think a LOT of drummers fit in this category...talent and chops are only a couple of ingredients.

RickC

Reaction score

SteveB said:
I think most guys will use their friends until they feel they aren't cutting it. Then when they make it big they'll bring in Gadd or Blaine for the recordings. I think a LOT of drummers fit in this category...talent and chops are only a couple of ingredients.
I agree 100%. I think that may have happened to me once or twice :shock:

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score

I'd say Peter Criss. If you listen to his early stuff right up to Kiss Alive you can hear his playing progressing. After Kiss made it big, he stopped and went backwards. Never a great drummer but he played some truly awful stuff once they made it.

gezz said:
This thread was made for ringo starr :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol:
WWBS.......(what would Bernard say) And, I am not referring to Mr. Rich.......wink wink nudge nudge

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score

Me....I'm gonna make $230.33 for playing 3 hours tonight.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score

Dave Clark. The Innagoddanavida guy.Mickey Dolenz.Might remember a few more later.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I think Tico is a good drummer. I have seen him play on a few occasions and I think he fits that band perfectly. He was actually the drummer for Frankie & The Knockouts before Bon Jovi. They had a #1 in the early 80's called "Sweetheart." It is a piece of cheez, but that song was all over the radio back in the day. I still here it in regular rotation on Sirius 80's on 8.