What drums are these? Basix?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I came across this drum solo by Danny Gottlieb (former drummer for Pat Metheny before the monster that is Antonio Sanchez took over!).....anyway, I don't know much about DG so I started checking him out and found this. Looks like a 5 piece with a hugely deep bass....anyone have any info? Those mini toms are interesting.....thanks!

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I found them - Basix short stack custom.........anyone have them? Shell type & plies? Sizes? Price? Other info? Thanks.....
From what I remember......They retired that brand name.. changed to "Drum Craft" name and they might of gone under.. not sure. They had lower and mid-level kits.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Since I've never ever heard of them, and he was a big name drummer, I thought that was odd, or there must be some top secret to them! Probably the former....

Kevaruka

Reaction score
Had a Basix as a hire kit for a tour last month. Not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. Hardware wasn't the best though but actually sounded ok. Wouldn't rush out to buy one though...........

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Bernard Purdie was an endorser at one time.
Other than that I don't know anything about the drums themselves.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I owned a Basix "Custom Birch" set that I purchased for $300.00 brand new. They were still in the boxes and had to be assembled. They actually sounded really good! This particular set was their "higher" end model which to me was still mid level. The hardware was a bit sketchy. They're pictured here though.
IMG_20170808_212904.jpg

Kevaruka

Reaction score
I owned a Basix "Custom Birch" set that I purchased for $300.00 brand new. They were still in the boxes and had to be assembled. They actually sounded really good! This particular set was their "higher" end model which to me was still mid level. The hardware was a bit sketchy. They're pictured here though. View attachment 399976
Identical to the hire kit I had.

Latest posts