What drums are you not fond of? A silly thread!!!

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not fond of Mapex, Pearl, Tama (although they were my favorite brand growing up), anything Tama with Meinl YUCK!!!!!

I used to love Zildjian growing up but can't stand the way they sound now.

British Drum Co., Dixon, A&F...I have no interest.

Black hardware, nickel hardware, fade finishes, silver sparkle, WMP....just no.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ludwig. I played my first paying gig forty-five years ago. Currently seven of my thirty-four snare drums are Ludwigs. Weirdly, However, I'm the only sixty-one year old drummer I know who has owned a bunch of kits, but never a Ludwig. I don't hate them, but there is always something that I like better.

Pearl kits... It's the mounts. If they used spade mounts like Ludwig, Gretsch, DW, and many others, I likely would have owned a kit or two. I have owned some of their snare drums and always find them to sound great for the price paid. But those tom mounts? Ugh.

I've played Tama, Mapex and Pearl back line kits many times, I don't hate them. (Other than the aforementioned Pearl tom mounts...) I've played a couple Tama B/B kits that I even really liked, but again not enough to pull the trigger.

Yamaha. I've played some older Recording Custom and Absolute Maple kits that were awesome. But for the price of them, I've always found something else that trips my trigger. I think that the Stage Custom has been the best budget kit for over twenty years. When someone wants a brand new kit and is looking for value I always recommend Yamaha Stage Customs. But, I've never had a desire to buy a kit myself.

These are my personal biased opinions and the nits that I pick. Truth be told I love all drums, talking about them, working on them, and most importantly, playing them. I really don't harbor any ill will toward any brand. Someday I might have cash in my pocket and a Ludwig kit may come home with me. I'm only sixty-one years old, it could still happen. Tama's B/B Star Classics always make me stop and pause, every time I run across a set. Every single time. Although no Mapex kit has really ever reached out and grabbed me, I've also never played one that I actually didn't like.

Your mileage may (and likely will) vary.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig. I played my first paying gig forty-five years ago. Currently seven of my thirty-four snare drums are Ludwigs. Weirdly, However, I'm the only sixty-one year old drummer I know who has owned a bunch of kits, but never a Ludwig. I don't hate them, but there is always something that I like better.

Pearl kits... It's the mounts. If they used spade mounts like Ludwig, Gretsch, DW, and many others, I likely would have owned a kit or two. I have owned some of their snare drums and always find them to sound great for the price paid. But those tom mounts? Ugh.

I've played Tama, Mapex and Pearl back line kits many times, I don't hate them. (Other than the aforementioned Pearl tom mounts...) I've played a couple Tama B/B kits that I even really liked, but again not enough to pull the trigger.

Yamaha. I've played some older Recording Custom and Absolute Maple kits that were awesome. But for the price of them, I've always found something else that trips my trigger. I think that the Stage Custom has been the best budget kit for over twenty years. When someone wants a brand new kit and is looking for value I always recommend Yamaha Stage Customs. But, I've never had a desire to buy a kit myself.

These are my personal biased opinions. Your mileage may (and likely will) vary.
You mentioned every major brand! I'm curious, what brand do you own and play?

Your post just gave me an idea. We should have a thread of the opposite: "What brand(s) are you most fond of?"

digovii

Reaction score
Had a Gretsch USA custom kit for about a month. Just did not vibe with it at all. Swapped it for a Classic Maple and it was much more up my alley.

jmato

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha DP wood snare that I lovingly re-wrapped, cleaned, restored, the works. I tried multiple head combos, different snare wires, etc. No matter what it sounds like sh*t. Overtones for days, and even a mystery rattlely thingy. I even put a Remo suede head on it, and taped the entire underside. It still rang and rang and rang.

i know it's an inexpensive, entry level drum. But that's no excuse for it's extreme level of suckitude.

I hate this drum (and a couple college girlfriends) for wasting my time trying to love it.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
80's Sonor signature 22x18 bass drum with square toms. How can you make such great shells with beautiful finishes that are completely impossible to set up ergonomically.

A&F drums. their old world vibe looks super fake to me.

Cant decide if i love or hate new/old reissue drums like Rogers/GeorgeWay. what connection have they to the original factories and designers ????? A paid for license to use the name and brand ????

A particular 60's era 13" ludwig tom i still own, could never make that thing sound in anyway decent.

Anything with Power-coated rims.

Really heavy bright cymbals and 14" crashes.

Reactions: Ang

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To be honest, the Red Strata Tampax Venus V kit that I had a year or so ago sounded marvelous and had extremely high build quality!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Exports are what got me in the late 80's. Went into the drumstore as a rocking teenager that wanted the biggest & baddest looking kit so I could impress everyone. Needless to say I didn't know anything about what a quality kit really was. After all, I was replacing my first kit that I got as a kid. But there it was, it was new, huge & cheap! That's all that mattered. I bought it and walked out of there with my massive smoky chrome finish 9 piece Exports. Well, I carried that huge mess of a drum kit for the next 10 years till I could finally afford something that was worthwhile. It was terrible in every respect and don't miss anything about it!
My 9 piece exports were a many year dream come true , I thoroughly enjoyed mine . I don’t know how you could be so dismissive . I made a fair amount of $$ and great memories with mine .

Attachments

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah thick square toms are pretty dry as well and nobody makes em like that anymore so that should speak volumes right there. Sonor Sigs were top of the line, but i could not see myself playing them either.

Drums on racks from any company is a negative for me. Racks are functional no doubt but not classy.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mentioned every major brand! I'm curious, what brand do you own and play?

Your post just gave me an idea. We should have a thread of the opposite: "What brand(s) are you most fond of?"

My first "good" kit was a set of 1965 Slingerlands. Early to mid 1960s Slingerland drums in particular always make me smile. Currently I own one vintage Slingerland kit.

Gretsch. My second good kit was a Gretsch and I've owned a lot of different Gretsch USA kits of every era over the years. These days my primary kit is a Gretsch USA Custom shell bank, 10", 12", and 13" toms, 14" and 16" floor toms, (An 18" floor tom is on order.) 18", 20", 22", and 24" bass drums, and lastly two matching snare drums, one 5" deep, and 6 1/2" deep.

I bought a DW Collector's Series kit in 2008. It was my primary gigging kit until last year. I put brand new factory heads on it and it is cased up for now.

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gretsch USA Customs - 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and newer all sound terrible to me. They all sound hard, they play hard, and they have almost nothing but attack coming out of the drums. No thanks.

Most Pearl, Mapex, Yamama, and Tama drums. (Notice I didn't say all.) Most of the offerings from these manufacturers sound EXACTLY the same. They are plain, neutral-sounding drums with no personality or character. There is nothing distinctive about them at all. At least Ludwig's all-maple offerings have a specific, distinctive sound. All of these manufacturers produce well made reliable gear. They just are dull sounding to me though.

DW snares - Their drum kits are well made and sound great, but their snares always seem to sound boxy to my ears.

Walnut colored drums. Seriously, these looked terrible in the 70s. They still look terrible now.

Black oyster drums. Look, it has been done....to death. I love Ringo. I love the Beatles. Let's put this finish to rest.