What Elvin Jones CAN (could) do!!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the greatest "greatest hits" thread thanks all for an outstanding and educational morning

Keith Balla

Reaction score
Nice thread multijd!

Here's a wonderful earlier recording of Elvin with a group comprised of great musicians who like Elvin came out of the fertile Detroit jazz scene of the 1940s/50s (except for Clifford Jordan who was from Chicago). I love his comping and the beautiful one chorus drum solo.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thread has had me listening back through some great music. Juju has already been mentioned, but Speak No Evil hasn't. Great album from start to finish. It is interesting to compare the Shorter albums with Elvin, and others with Tony and Joe Chambers. The compositions are always quintessential Shorter, but the change in drummers really does impact the feel of the recordings.

And how could we forget his classic albums with McCoy Tyner?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
John Riley has some transcriptions in his Beyong Bop book that really threw my mind around. He's a true musical genius, innovative and intellectual.

The Sharrock album, man, the drums sound so good...wore out this tape. Absolute chills from the power and vibes. Heavy.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
What a great thread! It's got me perusing my CD collection for other examples, reminding me of so much music I know and love dearly. Also great to hear examples of his playing I wasn't aware of, lots of "new" stuff for me to check out. Here are just a few other examples that I don't think I've seen posted yet:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
long Texas College Clinic seminar/ day given by Elvin Jones must be early 80s (84) he plays tunes with students (towards the end)
(video)

couple months ago while looking for a particular Elvin picture led me to this

April 24, 1984.
"TamCo" era ; )
(and second instance I've "seen" him "flirt" with Sabian (but that's another story for another day)

Last edited:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With Joe Henderson:

And with Andrew Hill (this has that sort of Out to Lunch feel, especially with Bobby Hutcherson involved. For some reason this is an album that I haven't heard before now, even though I like all the musicians on it):

This, from Wikipedia about Hill's album, Judgement! Some of the best short explanations of song titles on a jazz album that I can recall:
The first track, "Siete Ocho", meaning "Seven Eight", is in 7/8. "Flea Flop" was named "for the first notes of the melody, which seemed to suggest a jumping flea. This is also dedicated to the hotels and motels that jazz sidemen are obliged to stay in all over the country." The composition "Yokada Yokada" was named after the song "Yakety Yak", referring to "senseless dialogue between people," whilst "Alfred" was dedicated to producer Alfred Lion because of his "natural understanding of jazz in general." The title track "Judgment" was inspired by a poem written by Hill's wife, Lavern. "Reconciliation" addresses "the adjustment every musician has to make to achieve unity and harmony with the rest of the group."

Last edited:

Base

Reaction score
And now for something completely different! Well... not really , because you can still hear his personality and style, but Elvin plays only brushes on the hole album

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are costing me a lot of money! :lol:

I already had some of Elvin's great solo albums, but didn't know about some that have been listed here. In the last few days, I've gotten, thanks to this thread:
Puttin' It Together
Paul Chambers Quintet
Just ordered: Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones: Together!
Trying to find an affordable CD copy of: The Ultimate
Trying to find any CD copy of: The Prime Element
Great stuff!