What Elvin Jones CAN (could) do!!

multijd

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A classic. Maybe Sonny’s most “out” recording.

Reactions: JDA

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching that clinic video, (thanks for that btw) I was reminded what a presence he was on top of the musical artistry.
What's that video of younger E.J. where he is his own smoke machine, just pouring off steam for the whole performance?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
may be thinking of the VHS "Different Drummer" but the story of coming out of the studio with Coltrane and the steam ...was verbal document.
and there's an associated picture of a towel around his neck sitting on a step (outside) the (rudy van gelder?) building/house.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure i once watched a video, maybe a European TV show. I'm searching for it. Taking a while because I wind up watching the whole thing even when it is not the one I'm looking for

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always “got” Blakey, Max and Tony . I had trouble with Elvin and understanding what he was doing. I appreciated what he was doing and enjoyed the music . It wasn’t till I saw him in person in his later years that it just hit me . I was entranced, just could not take my eyes off him. He was magnetic, brilliant, powerful . My favourites of the past are still Art and Mel and Tony , but Elvin holds a special place in my pantheon of drum heroes.

I have been a huge fan of Peter Erskine and he is a huge fan of Elvin’s. You can hear some Elvinisms in his style .

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"The search for perfection is all good and well... But to look for heaven is to live here in hell."
````````````````````````````````

McCoy Tyner commented: "On 'Dahomey Dance' [Coltrane] had a record of these guys who were from Dahomey, which is why he used two bassists. He showed that rhythm to Art Davis and Reggie Workman. So the influence was there
killer ride sound and patterns on this. love the bass solo as well.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
killer ride sound and patterns on this. love the bass solo as well.
Forum member Todd Bishop (aka CruiseShipDrummer) has some great practice material based on this tune on his web site (along with lots of other Elvin related stuff) :

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forum member Todd Bishop (aka CruiseShipDrummer) has some great practice material based on this tune on his web site (along with lots of other Elvin related stuff) :

Thanks for sharing that-- there's a whole bunch of stuff exploring/developing that general type of groove here-- an Elvin-type 3/4, “afro waltz”, I call it.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
“Why are you playing brushes so loud?”
“Because..”
“Well, you may as well be playing sticks, so what’s the point?”
“Because it’s a ballad. It may be loud, but the feeling is still quiet.”
“That doesn’t make any sense.”
“That’s because feelings are complicated.”
“How so?”
“Well you know, sometimes you want to yell or scream but all you can do is talk normally even though your words have a yell or scream in them, so you don’t yell, at least loudly.”