What Elvin Jones CAN (could) do!!

dnel77

Reaction score
Very skilled showing the high level of music instruction at the school. Congratulations to them all. But better drummers than Elvin Jones or any of the others you mention? That remains to be seen.
yet none of them could probably make a original highly personal sound! Music isnt a contest. Its about being yourself..

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
from Poly- Currents 1969-70
might have mentioned ...once these songs of Elvin ..riffs and heads...get under your skin (and fingernails) they tend to stay in your memory for life.
never forget this track for it's snare melody events

I finally got around to that Poly-Currents. I was stuck on Live at the Lighthouse. Is it the same group? I will be stuck on Poly-Currents for a while now!

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not Elvin exactly but his cymbals in action under the hands of Steve Jordan.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK that Elvin drank to excess is not a deal breaker for virtuous. I'm part Irish too

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry I couldn't read the word "Ringo" one more time at DFo

Not Elvin but

Is anyone familiar enough to say whether Rashied was Left lead or a right handed drummer. I see a lot was Left but think there's other where he's a Righty.
Can you believe I had a chance to see him in clinic once and didn't go? (true)

One of the comments under this recording 1967/4/23
at you tube says:
"He (John Coltrane) died of cancer soon after this. It's almost like this is him violently trying to escape death but he cant. I could never say I enjoy this concert but I certainly appreciate its brilliance."

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry I couldn't read the word "Ringo" one more time at DFo

Not Elvin but

Is anyone familiar enough to say whether Rashied was Left lead or a right handed drummer. I see a lot was Left but think there's other where he's a Righty.
Can you believe I had a chance to see him in clinic once and didn't go? (true)

One of the comments under this recording 1967/4/23
at you tube says:
"He (John Coltrane) died of cancer soon after this. It's almost like this is him violently trying to escape death but he cant. I could never say I enjoy this concert but I certainly appreciate its brilliance."
When I saw him he played a right handed set but He may have done some left handed riding.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK THat was Horrific +/-

Let's try some last studio of Elvin with Trane when the ___was getting Outside Don't think I've heard this one

And that was a fail..
I don't think that went over; received well by critics DB etc

Last edited:

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this thread. The disparaging of drummers for what "they can't do" is so foolish. One reason I think we love Elvin is that he decided who he wanted to be and stuck to it. Here is some more of his amazing playing:
This group - Grant Green, Larry Young, Bobby Hutcherson, Elvin Jones - made several Blue Note albums. All excellent. / Best, skf

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK so since we have a whole Elvin Jones thread here, maybe someone can answer this question. I read an interview where Elvin Jones said that he tunes his drums to 3rd and 6th intervals. I’m very curious to know what he meant by that. My only guess is that he meant that he tunes his drums so their fundamental notes are either the 3rd or 6th note of a scale. So for instance in a C major scale, that would be E or A. Anybody have any better idea to what he meant?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. and in later Years Keiko tensioned all his drums. To the point of hilarity.

It's the dimensions; you can't change
or adjust no matter head tension

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh it's one of the best/ Three drummers/ Tain/ Stewart/ and Elvin/ one the best.
Know which drummer plays which- it's easy to tell- tracks
Think it's three each. One of the greatest late period (2000 ish)

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK so since we have a whole Elvin Jones thread here, maybe someone can answer this question. I read an interview where Elvin Jones said that he tunes his drums to 3rd and 6th intervals. I’m very curious to know what he meant by that. My only guess is that he meant that he tunes his drums so their fundamental notes are either the 3rd or 6th note of a scale. So for instance in a C major scale, that would be E or A. Anybody have any better idea to what he meant?
He meant the intervals of a 3rd and 6th. Now he isn’t specific about the actual pitches nor is he specifying major or minor intervals but these two intervals are inversions of one another. So for example if he tunes the highest Tom to an F(#) he would then tune the next to a D(b) and the next to a B(b). Those are a series of descending 3rds. This really has to do with the letter names ie. F-(E)-D. Three letter names=3rd. Or he could tune the highest to a B then down to a D and finally down to an F. B-(A-G-F-E-)D. Six letter names=6th.