header.nohb.html

What finish did Gretsch make more of…Midnite Blue..or..Champagne?

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow..3 times as many Champagne drums…thx!..I thought they were about tied…

what other numbers do you have…..regarding finish?

They did not do too many Red Sparkle….WMP….in the 60’s…anyway…Nor,blue sparkle….

they did a good bit of BDP……..Thanks Jah!

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow..3 times as many Champagne drums…thx!..I thought they were about tied…

what other numbers do you have…..regarding finish?

They did not do too many Red Sparkle….WMP….in the 60’s…anyway…Nor,blue sparkle….

they did a good bit of BDP……..Thank Jah!

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please note that my information only covers the round badge drums with serial numbers (1962ish to 1969). I do not have information on earlier time periods.

I have information on finish on the vast majority of drums on my list. I have not put together a summary, but perhaps that can be a NSMD article in the future.

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have recorded 3654 Round Badge drums with serial numbers where the finish appears to be original (no rewraps or wrap removed to refinish the wood). Of these, 472 were Champagne Sparkle and 166 were Midnight Blue Pearl.
Any data on Gold satin flame quantities?

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Please note that my information only covers the round badge drums with serial numbers (1962ish to 1969). I do not have information on earlier time periods.

I have information on finish on the vast majority of drums on my list. I have not put together a summary, but perhaps that can be a NSMD article in the future.

I personally would love to read such a summary.

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any data on Gold satin flame quantities

I have 80 drums recorded. 67 are Round badge and 13 are Stop Sign. They range from about 1963 through about 1972.

I think that the article will have to consider appropriate time frames, grouping into badge styles, including or not including the metal shells in the overall count and some other factors so that the raw numbers are put into proper perspective. It is important to remember that my list only has about three percent of the Round badge drums with serial numbers. I have a lower percentage of Stop Sign badge drums. I consider my list to be a fairly representative sample, but due to the sources of the information and the method of data collection, I fear that the information may be misinterpreted if I do not carefully explain it.

Last edited:

Pre ‘72

Reaction score
We need to get you some employees, KC. Or interns anyway…

Your spirit in research and wealth/depth of knowledge need to be embraced and put forward into the ages.

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks. I am just trying to document what insights that 16 years of data gathering provides. It does not do much good if I don't share the information.

DBT

Reaction score
It’s a shame my Wine Red Pearls where left up in that unfinished walk up attic for 49 years unprotected or they would have been Collector grade . 12”, 13”, 14”, 16” and 22” all with close serial #’s / paper tags .

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s a shame my Wine Red Pearls where left up in that unfinished walk up attic for 49 years unprotected or they would have been Collector grade . 12”, 13”, 14”, 16” and 22” all with close serial #’s / paper tags .
Can you share those numbers with me?

Reactions: JDA

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I wonder if Lucas von Gretsch could be of assistance? He had a recent episode on the Drum History podcast that delved into corners of the Gretsch history. Wonder if they have any records?

DBT

Reaction score
I can . They’re in my phone somewhere . Give me a few .
I remember back when , you were the first person to jump in and offer help if I needed it when I posted the story and pics . You were like “ wow never seen another Wine Red Pearl besides mine” .

DBT

Reaction score
Can you share those numbers with me?
A brief history on the drums that may or may not help you . I got them from a guy who was in the process of stripping the hardware , scraping it and throwing out the shells ( his storage area was next to mine ) . He gave them to me . One owner before me , his brother ordered them but couldn’t for whatever reason get the 13” right away so they sent him a 12” and didn’t send him the 13” till the following year ( serial #’s seem to reflect this , keep in mind that 13” came with a Round Badge which seems to refute the transition to SSB ) . 12” : #111,497 . 13” # 119,541 . 14” #112,3?? . 16” #112,971 . 22” #112,746 . The 12” and 14” were still in my van when I snapped this shot. If you can please add any info on these that you may uncover it would be appreciated . Thank you for all the time you put into this .

Attachments

• 391CBE82-6764-454F-A84A-06289B8E47BE.jpeg
    391CBE82-6764-454F-A84A-06289B8E47BE.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember back when , you were the first person to jump in and offer help if I needed it when I posted the story and pics . You were like “ wow never seen another Wine Red Pearl besides mine” .
I had a set of them once..but..they were pre-sold..so..all I could do was open the boxes….drool on the floor,box them back up…I THINK it was a 20,12,14 also!

DBT

Reaction score
I had a set of them once..but..they were pre-sold..so..all I could do was open the boxes….drool on the floor,box them back up…I THINK it was a 20,12,14 also!
Aghhhhh . It truly is a stunning color Pearl . Looking at KC’s pie chart apparently they are rare . It broke my heart when I took all the hardware off . The wraps literally almost fell off . The condensation all those years took the glue with the wraps and pulled back and shrank at all the seams but also thickened the wrap . Interestingly the shells are perfectly in round , the layers of dust actually protected all the chrome somehow . It was almost baked on . Like a time capsule , the chrome now looks amazing . Believe me I would have kept that kit bone stock if it could have been saved . Now they are getting the stain / sealer / Lacquer treatment .