What George Martin Really Thought of Ringo's Drumming

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder what Sir Martin thought of the signature parts of Ticket to Ride, nor Tomorrow Never Knows that only Ringo created?
My understanding is that Paul came up with the drum part of "Ticket to Ride" and instructed Ringo, who no doubt added his own twist but was still following orders. I have no idea about "Tomorrow Never Knows."

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
First, who knows how much/many of Ringo’s drum parts were actually Ringo’s ideas. I assume most were, but, I can’t help but think Paul and John had ideas about the drum parts they wanted in their songs. In any event, I do think that Ringo’s drumming was an integral, essential, part of the Beatles sound.
i spoke with hal blaine once about coming up with drum parts. his attitude was - i don't care who came up with a part - i was the one who played it.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that Paul came up with the drum part of "Ticket to Ride" and instructed Ringo, who no doubt added his own twist but was still following orders. I have no idea about "Tomorrow Never Knows."
Well you are correct, but I read further on this:
"Ringo didn’t have an easy ride here either. With his heavy-handed “Arabian” beat, his innovative drum fills, and his tambourine and hand-clapping, he was also quite involved in making this song the force that it became."

Many a Beatles song described here.
Ringo followed lot of orders.....very well.

When reading that Beatles site from time to time, one sees that 80% of the ideas in Beatles songs were actually Paul.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And Martin’s unhappiness with Ringo was the catalyst for the Purdie diatribe in Max
Weinbergs book.

Last edited:

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1980 and other subsequent years we worked with George Martin and Geoff Emerick.
When I inquired about clinkers or inconsistent drum parts (like Ticket To Ride, where the part changes mid tune), both George and Geoff emphasized the practice of using the "first good enough take, not a perfect take" method of recording. If the track felt great, it was good enough for pop music in those days.
As for Tomorrow Never Knows, they created a "drum loop" which worked well. In discussing that song, the main thing they talked about was the use of Paul's sound effect tape, which they cut into different pieces and reassembled at random, they claim. (It sounds too good to me to be 100% random, and more like a "great story" they always told!).
So that beat's a loop throughout, huh, never knew that.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Epstein, after hearing the Decca tapes, would rightfully be concerned about whoever the Beatles brought in. Hard moment for Ringo, or any of us who have been bumped as happens by times.