What glue to use for covering coming off?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
What glue to use for covering coming off? I have a covered drum where the covering is coming apart at the seam. What do you builders out there use? Thank you, in advance.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Weldwood "Original" Contact Cement. Used according to directions, this stuff is wonderful. Used it a lot for woodworking laminates, and for drum wraps.

GeeDeeEmm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it's just the edge/seam, I use Tite Bond red label wood glue (at Home Depot). Put a thin amount on the shell, some under the wrap, and let it dry for a few minutes. Then put together and clamp - should be fine. In fact, I rewrapped a Gretsch snare shell using only this type of glue and it turned out fine. I don't have the "proper" stuff and this was just a few bucks.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I am doing a backed veneer or wrap, I use an aerosol can of Formica F200 high heat contact adhesive manufactured by Choice Brand Adhesives. It is a wonderful glue with amazing grip but it does not provide much open work time. OK, lets be honest, it really provides NO open work time, that is the down side. Just clean the spray nozzle after each use (by just picking and rubbing the excess glue away) and it never fails to shoot the next time for me. It also has a nice adjustable spray pattern built in as well, works great. I use the "clear" but it's the same can as the red shown below.

The high heat is important to me as well in that I feel it provides better resistance to bubbles or lifting in the summer. But remember... when you put it together, make sure it's where you want it, because you are NOT going to move it again!

FO_20017C.jpg

Latest posts