What happened to this cymbal and what to do with it!?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just picked this cymbal up last night. What the heck!

The guy I bought it from "found it" with a bunch of cracks so his drum instructor took care of the cracks and this is what is left.

The fact I paid money for it might certify I'm crazy but what the heck, I've been slowly piecing together a set of Giant Beats so figured I'd give it a try. At least no one else will have one quite like it!

It weighs in at 2799 grams. If it was cut to make it perfectly round again it would be a 22" cymbal.

So how does it sound? Well I've only tapped on it for a few minutes. With the tape it was quite dead and gongy. Without the tape it actually sounds like it is in the Giant Beat family. It is a little drier than my other Giant Beats but there is definitely some sustain, it has a slight trashy/spacey effect, the crash still is a little gongy so not great, but the bell is killer. I put a sizzle chain on it and that sounded good. I'll try posting a sound file tonight or tomorrow.

The edges are a little rough so at minimum I should try to smooth those out a little with a file.

I'll need to jam it a bit to see if it has a place as is with the rotation of cymbals.

What would you guys do with this thing? Leave as is? Add rivets? Cut it back to round? Have someone lathe the edges if cut round so it isn't as thick since it would be 22". I don't really want to put a ton of money into it and I have no idea what it would cost to have a Cymbal Smith work their magic.

Of course the pics are upside down. I can't get them to rotate.

Attachments

• 20210327_112150.jpg
    20210327_112150.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 20210327_112211.jpg
    20210327_112211.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 20210327_114001.jpg
    20210327_114001.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 180

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just tried attaching a video but it won't download. I think it is too large but I'm not savvy enough to change the size.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll lose some of the lows (and other things) if you trim
Remove the tape / Play it.

So it was a 24 huh?
I think it's fine as it is
If no sharp edges to cut yourself with

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just tried attaching a recording my "Voice Recorder" app but it didn't like that either.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
you'll lose some of the lows (and other things) if you trim
Remove the tape / Play it.

So it was a 24 huh?
I think it's fine as it is
If no sharp edges to cut yourself with
Yeah the tape wasn't doing this cymbal any favors for sure.

Yep, a 24".

I need to do a little cleaning of the edges cause it could snag a finger or cymbal bag.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wanna see dis gust ing? this is... ya start to bleed as soon as you walk up to it; don't ask me how It came into my possession; Bar/Restaurant was being torn down and it was a wall hanger.

Paiste Power 001.JPG Paiste Power 002.JPG Paiste Power 003.JPG Paiste Power 004.JPG

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Send it off for a mild mod. A cut down and relathing of the underside edge will give you a custom usable cymbal. It’d be worth the money.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Send it off for a mild mod. A cut down and relathing of the underside edge will give you a custom usable cymbal. It’d be worth the money.
I've never had a cymbal model before.

Any idea of a range in price for that type of work?

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had a cymbal model before.

Any idea of a range in price for that type of work?

I’d imagine $125-$150 for that type of work. Lots of guys doing it these days. I’ve had a few done. Took a bad cymbal abs turned it good.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 8076A815-164C-4FE9-A285-6FBD8C188EFA.jpeg
    8076A815-164C-4FE9-A285-6FBD8C188EFA.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 35

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd just smooth out the rough edges with a file and play it. I used an old marching cymbal for years as my sole crash in a loud band. It had been highly abused by a bunch of high schoolers before falling into my possession and over time it would get tiny edge cracks appearing which I would trim out similar to your giant beat. over the years it took on a... "unique" shape. but still sounded good! It all depends on the application.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i'd just smooth out the rough edges with a file and play it. I used an old marching cymbal for years as my sole crash in a loud band. It had been highly abused by a bunch of high schoolers before falling into my possession and over time it would get tiny edge cracks appearing which I would trim out similar to your giant beat. over the years it took on a... "unique" shape. but still sounded good! It all depends on the application.
You are probably right.

I threw the cymbal in the ride position on my set today and jammed to a few songs my band is practicing and right away I forgot it was a hacked up cymbal. That's a good sign!

I am intrigued a bit to have it cut and lathed thinner with a half dozen deep hammer marks in the vibe of a Bosphorus Trash Crash if that's even feasible with the B8.
I have a Giant Beat 22" and 24" so something thinner and slightly trashy to go with the rest of the Giant Beats might be kind of cool.