What I learned from the Anika Nilles clinic at DCP

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Attended Anika's clinic Monday night (22, Oct) at Drum Center of Portsmouth. Was packed and a good time. It was her first U.S. drum clinic ever. Anika obviously did some playing and then spent a lot of time answering questions. Here is what I learned...

She is a hard hitter. She probably didn't need the PA system.
Other than her ghost-notes, every snare hit was a rim shot.
She has a very untraditional setup...3 snares and strangely tilted cymbals (tilts them away from her slightly).
Her Starphonic aluminum snare was killer!
Her biggest influence was Jeff Porcaro...which she admitted seemed strange for what/how she plays.
She's quite charming.
I was not really a follower of her online, so this was mostly my first impression (I do play Tama drums and Meinl cymbals, which is what initially drew me to the clinic) and I enjoyed her playing.
I grabbed one of the Tama reps and could only get the following from them...yes, we will be coming out with some new stuff to replace the B/B's...stay tuned for 1 January.

I had a good time, seemed like others did as well. She spent time afterwards talking, taking pics and signing items. If you get a chance (this is a very limited stop clinic) I would say to check it out.
IMG_20181022_183454.jpg
IMG_20181022_192926.jpg
IMG_20181022_200330.jpg

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rdumas, what is replacing B/B is most likely a W/B :)
I saw Anika up here last week as well. What a nice person and a great player. I really like her phrasing. Didn't hear much Porcaro myself. She answered the cymbal tilting forward thing , citing Chris Coleman and such and how it worked for her style.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rdumas, what is replacing B/B is most likely a W/B :)
I saw Anika up here last week as well. What a nice person and a great player. I really like her phrasing. Didn't hear much Porcaro myself. She answered the cymbal tilting forward thing , citing Chris Coleman and such and how it worked for her style.
Yes, she seemed very pleasant. The Tama guys were being pretty secretive :)

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing her tonight at Chicago Music Exchange. I have the Starphonic aluminum and yes, it's a wonderful snare! Cool pics!

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool! Does she play in any bands that I can check out? Or is she primarily just a clinician?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard of her, so I checked her out on YouTube. Great player! But what's with everyone using cymbals that all sound like Chinas these days?

On another note, I love how the Internet has made great female drummers visible. Back when I was growing up, you had Sheila E....and well, I don't know if I could name another without thinking too hard.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool! Does she play in any bands that I can check out? Or is she primarily just a clinician?
I think she is basically a solo artist. Writes her own compositions but does have recordings out. One of the new breed of internet stars that is now expanding out to clinics and such.

Shane-DCP

Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I always gauge the success of the clinic based on attention retention and the response from the crowd afterwards. People really loved it. It was certainly one of our more memorable ones.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I always gauge the success of the clinic based on attention retention and the response from the crowd afterwards. People really loved it. It was certainly one of our more memorable ones.
You always provide a good time Shane!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wasn't thrilled that she left Mapex for Tama, for more money, but that is the industry I guess. She is a great player, but does anyone else find the way she holds her sticks, and hits the drums strange? I have a hard time watching her play because of this.

Ely

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing! Anika is one of my current favorites to listen to. I'm going to see her tonight in Arlington.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wasn't thrilled that she left Mapex for Tama, for more money, but that is the industry I guess. She is a great player, but does anyone else find the way she holds her sticks, and hits the drums strange? I have a hard time watching her play because of this.
Even more surprised she doesn't endorse her native German Sonor!

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ugh ... she is playing tonight in Arlington (TX), which is not that far from my home, but I'm working in the opposite direction, so with the traffic I wouldn't get there until past 8. Would love to see her clinic.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't thrilled that she left Mapex for Tama, for more money, but that is the industry I guess.
Do you know for a fact she joined Tama for money?

I am sure the fact that Meinl is the biggest distributor of Tama in Germany and Europe simplifies a lot of things for her. Plus they are pretty good drums in their own right.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you know for a fact she joined Tama for money?

I am sure the fact that Meinl is the biggest distributor of Tama in Germany and Europe simplifies a lot of things for her. Plus they are pretty good drums in their own right.
You would probably know better than I would. I was just speculating it was for more money. Maybe she just likes Tama better. I know Mapex was pretty good to her for a long time while she was building her name.