What is a “small” crack to you on a cymbal?

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I see ANY crack as one that will eventually grow into a much bigger crack as the cymbal is played. Drilling the ends of a crack is temporary. I drilled out a crack on one of my cymbals and it just continued to grow. And as to the "does not effect sound" comment. I'm with you. Yeah sure! I won't buy a cymbal with even a single tiny crack. Just not gonna happen.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had around 100 Turkish Ks in my lifetime..and I noticed an interesting pattern....Seems like 30-40% would have TWO 1/8” cracks in the bellhole..and..they would be usually around 1/4” apart from one another...Why would this happen so consistently?

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
I have had around 100 Turkish Ks in my lifetime..and I noticed an interesting pattern....Seems like 30-40% would have TWO 1/8” cracks in the bellhole..and..they would be usually around 1/4” apart from one another...Why would this happen so consistently?
Did you find that they tended to grow into larger cracks over time or stayed the same?

egw

Reaction score
To me, in most cases, edge cracks are a deal breaker. Radial cracks are slightly less of a problem, and even in some cases they might improve the sound of a cymbal. Bell hole cracks are the least troubling of all types.

As far as what defines "small" or "large", I suppose that depends on the size of the cymbal. But in general, I'd say that more than 1" inch in length is no longer small.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
maybe the way it was mounted on the lathe? either the chuck or the backing plate?

ahhhh, maybe the way the bells were hammered/pressed in. I've heard JDA talk about this over the years, 3-4 blanks stacked together and a sledge hammer to drive them into a die to form the bells

hmmm...

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
maybe the way it was mounted on the lathe? either the chuck or the backing plate?

ahhhh, maybe the way the bells were hammered/pressed in. I've heard JDA talk about this over the years, 3-4 blanks stacked together and a sledge hammer to drive them into a die to form the bells

hmmm...
Could be an inherent weakness leading to metal fatigue later in the lifecycle from pressing the bells.

I always wondered why UFiP didn't honestly compete in the old-K splang-a-lang sphere by casting rides with smaller bells rather than thinner bridges, bows and edges. And then I noticed these. A little tweaking and I think they're onto it --

-

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did you notice them to be on a certain side of the bell? Meaning that most cymbal like to rotate into a specific position when played. Just thinking if the pressure from the stand has something to do with it.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No...never thought about that..Most Ks I would get would sell very fast..so didn’t have time to hardly play them...and..off they would go!..Lost of times..same day..1 phone call/fax....

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Dayumm!....What did they use?..A Louisville Slugger on it?
Not a small Crack...

those spiders at bell holes is common to near all makes)
22 A I was using last night, 12" A has 6 or 7, think it's (long ago) operator error on a vulnerable spot.
Could maybe say leans more to B20 than B8 but not even sure about that

zildjian@consol

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not a small Crack...

those spiders at bell holes is common to near all makes)
22 A I was using last night, 12" A has 6 or 7, think it's (long ago) operator error on a vulnerable spot.
Could maybe say leans more to B20 than B8 but not even sure about that
None of my cymbals have cracks, I hit on the hard side

ThomasL

Reaction score
I always assumed that most bell hole cracks were caused by the stand falling over with the cymbal on.

Jorn

Reaction score
For me a cymbal with a crack is a worthless cymbal. Exception is if it’s from a well know play and is only going to hang on the wall anyway.

Latest posts