What is an Andy K snare drum?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've looked around for info and nothing. It says Made in Japan. Anybody know anything about these?
AndyK.jpg

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
T-R-A-S-H to most of us. Collectible to some of us with an affection for trashy stencil brand drums. Did Andy Kauffman spoof the drum world before he was even born?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
T-R-A-S-H to most of us. Collectible to some of us with an affection for trashy stencil brand drums. Did Andy Kauffman spoof the drum world before he was even born?
I have no interest in buying it so I'm definitely not one that sees it as collectible. Just curious to what it was. I find it funny how they come up with those names for things. Makes you wonder where they got the name Andy K from. Maybe the guy who built it watched Taxi one to many times!

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
If a music store or local chain of stores would buy enough of a stencil brand snare drum or drum set, the badge could say whatever they wanted it to say.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Neat drum. Can you post a pic of how that cymbal arm mounts underneath and such? Thanks.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Neat drum. Can you post a pic of how that cymbal arm mounts underneath and such? Thanks.
It's not my drum. I was just asking about it because I saw it for sale on Craigslist and the badge intrigued me more than the drum (or cymbal)

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If a music store or local chain of stores would buy enough of a stencil brand snare drum or drum set, the badge could say whatever they wanted it to say.
That's true but I don't think that's the case for this one. I haven't seen anything Andy K anywhere ever so I don't think any store ever placed a big order for these. Their is zero information online for this name brand. I can be wrong though, maybe their is a Giant state of the art Andy K factory somewhere in Japan LOL: "Yes the picture I added is a joke"
AndyK.jpg

Last edited:

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd think, likely, the importers name. I recall an MIJ badge that was "Gamble Imports"...you could get them custom from the "factory", I guess...

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I've read one of the reasons there were so many different stencil kit brands was that it was pretty common at the time for stencil kits to be shipped over from Japan without any badges or branding. Import businesses, distribution companies, and/or music stores themselves would then have their own custom stickers/badges made up with whatever name they wanted to be applied upon receiving the drums.

Apparently people often chose to brand their stencil kits using their own names, names of their children, other family members, friends, employees, or just entirely made up brand names.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
idrum4fun posted a link with Andy K information. The only information I think their is because I searched and searched and found nothing. You were kidding but I think it really was named after Andy Kauffman. Click the link he posted in his post and you can read about it. I actually laughed!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a link from VDF with a little more info about Andy K drums... http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=46061

-Mark
Thanks for this. I think this really is the only link with Andy K information. And they describe it as elusive. I think this drum brand/badge must be pretty rare if it's so hard to find and practically no info online about it.
I might actually consider buying that snare just to throw it in the collection. I'm sure it's a crappy snare but it looks interesting. I have to think about it though!
And based on the picture it seems to be in good condition along with that weird cymbal mount that attaches to the snare stand. The actual cymbal looks pretty retro as well. I wonder who makes it? It looks pretty cool! It looks like a nice conversation piece.
The guy's asking $75 for the whole thing.

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These MIJ snare drums with the Andy K badge are few and far between. That same drum probably sported dozens of other badges. Still, this one has the elusive AK badge and the entire drum, stand and cymbal appear in pretty good condition. For myself, condition is everything. I see nothing wrong with the asking price of $75, but it never hurts to counter with a lower offer and see what happens. I've seen asking prices going up considerably for MIJ snare drums in questionable condition. Most don't sell for these high asking prices. If you like this AK drum, go ahead and add it to your collection. I love my MIJ snare drum collection...all 17 of them!

-Mark

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These MIJ snare drums with the Andy K badge are few and far between. That same drum probably sported dozens of other badges. Still, this one has the elusive AK badge and the entire drum, stand and cymbal appear in pretty good condition. For myself, condition is everything. I see nothing wrong with the asking price of $75, but it never hurts to counter with a lower offer and see what happens. I've seen asking prices going up considerably for MIJ snare drums in questionable condition. Most don't sell for these high asking prices. If you like this AK drum, go ahead and add it to your collection. I love my MIJ snare drum collection...all 17 of them!

-Mark
Cool! I think I'm gonna ask and see what they say. Who knows, I might snag it for like $50 or so. I figured even at $75 it was OK. We'll see!

rock roll

Reaction score

-Mark
I have 2 stencil drums that there's no info on.
There were 100's of different badges and very little info.
There's a book on stencil drums that I bought , when I get home, I will look thru it. And update ...if there's any info there.
If you like it buy it.
Just make sure you buy it at a price you can sell it at.

rock roll

Reaction score
I've looked around for info and nothing. It says Made in Japan. Anybody know anything about these?
View attachment 390399
On eBay there was a floor tom and two mounted toms with the same wrap.
Which is the same wrap my zenith snare has, so I was interested but they wanted 200.00 for the floor and over 100.00 apiece for the toms...no badges, 6 lug. With issues.
I low balled them since there was no bass drum or snare and what's the odds of finding that wrap on a bass drum.
A couple weeks later , I guess it sold. I can't imagine who would pay over 400.00 for a mij floor tom and 2 mij mounted.
I really wanted that too.
Here's my snare with same wrap....
image.jpeg

Latest posts