What is going on at Calato / Regal Tip?

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After a frustrating day of running down to Clearwater (Sam Ash and Guitar Center) to pick up a couple of spare Regal Tip 5As and learning that neither store could even get them, I decided to go online. Not only Steve Weiss and Lone Star show back orders but the Calato website lists them not available.

A 5A is a very common and much used stick and I find it very odd that nobody, including the manufacturer has them.

Does anybody have a clue why this is?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a 30 year Regal Tip player, I am sad to report that I have been looking for the right replacement for almost a year now. I love, I mean LOVE RT... but the inconsistency of the overall quality simply became to much for me to endure. I have now replaced the wood tips, but still playing the RT Jazz Nylons as I look for the right replacement for those as well. I so hope they get it together and come back to the forefront, I really am such a HUGE fan!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After a frustrating day of running down to Clearwater (Sam Ash and Guitar Center) to pick up a couple of spare Regal Tip 5As and learning that neither store could even get them, I decided to go online. Not only Steve Weiss and Lone Star show back orders but the Calato website lists them not available.

A 5A is a very common and much used stick and I find it very odd that nobody, including the manufacturer has them.

Does anybody have a clue why this is?
Wood tip 5A's are in stock if you buy them thru Sam Ash's website. If you like the wood tips, order a bunch and stock up. Nylon tips are unavailable!
For years I've always heard Regal Tip having issues. I guess that company is always on a roller coaster ride. Periods of plenty of available stock and then periods where all the stores dry up. Weird! God knows what's happening there internally.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a 30 year Regal Tip player, I am sad to report that I have been looking for the right replacement for almost a year now. I love, I mean LOVE RT... but the inconsistency of the overall quality simply became to much for me to endure. I have now replaced the wood tips, but still playing the RT Jazz Nylons as I look for the right replacement for those as well. I so hope they get it together and come back to the forefront, I really am such a HUGE fan!
Have you given Los Cabos a shot? I tried them last year and that was that. I tried them based on a recommendation from someone here on DFO and I'm glad I did. Every set is perfect in every way and perfectly balanced. The Red hickory has that super smooth feel that reminds me a lot of Regal tips. I use 5B's and the ones they make feel like something in between a 5A and a 5B. As long as Los Cabos keeps existing, I will never buy another stick. They are perfect!
I buy them from Musicians Friend.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting
Have you given Los Cabos a shot? I tried them last year and that was that. I tried them based on a recommendation from someone here on DFO and I'm glad I did. Every set is perfect in every way and perfectly balanced. The Red hickory has that super smooth feel that reminds me a lot of Regal tips. I use 5B's and the ones they make feel like something in between a 5A and a 5B. As long as Los Cabos keeps existing, I will never buy another stick. They are perfect!
I buy them from Musicians Friend.
No I have not, but it is interesting that you mention them because I have thought about ordering a few different pair recently. Looking through their web site however revels that while they do have several models with good length, they are all a bit more substantial in diameter than I am looking for.

I prefer long and slender with a graceful taper. I thought about a custom stick but I am unwilling to order a pile without working through the prototypes and that is just not pratical money wise. But again, I hear nothing but good things about Los Cabos.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem finding them at Musician's Friend. Website indicates that they're in stock. I'm sorta stuck riding out some of the quality inconsistencies just because they're the only stick my dry hands can deal with.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Interesting

No I have not, but it is interesting that you mention them because I have thought about ordering a few different pair recently. Looking through their web site however revels that while they do have several models with good length, they are all a bit more substantial in diameter than I am looking for.

I prefer long and slender with a graceful taper. I thought about a custom stick but I am unwilling to order a pile without working through the prototypes and that is just not pratical money wise. But again, I hear nothing but good things about Los Cabos.
Have you thought about their 77A? It's long and slender with a long taper and killer olive tip. Beautiful stick. If interested in trying them, PM me your address. I'll send you a pair.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting

May want to check out the Vic Firth 5A Freestyles. They may fit the description of long and slender with a graceful taper.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
They might still custom make them for you if you ask. I play with Regals and have dealt with direct ordering by phone. They are pretty accomodating but they can be scatterbrained about losing orders and taking a while to ship. Still easier than trying to chase down a certain model at all the music stores imo.

I use their great big 6S sticks and I can't get that size or weight from any other company. They are the greatest sticks I have ever used!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
May want to check out the Vic Firth 5A Freestyles. They may fit the description of long and slender with a graceful taper.

Yep, I have a couple of pair of the FS7A in my stick bag now and at .540 in diameter they fit nicely in my hands. When I want to swing a big bat, those have replaced several other models for me as well at the slightly larger FS85A. At .555, they are still a little smaller than the regular FS 5A.

In the Regal Tip world, I played Combo's in wood and nylon for 25 years until a few years ago when a friend suggested that I should look into a heaver stick that could draw out more tone from the kit (without having to play as hard to get the same sound). That started me on the search and I tried a LOT of brands and models (and tons from RT, still my preferred brand). Right now, I am pretty happy with the Vic Firth Questlove signature stick in the natural finish (which I sand off the grip area) as it is just about right for me at only .520 in diameter and a full 17" long. My only problem is they are not available in a nylon tip (in fact the tips are pretty delicate overall anyway on them).

Have you thought about their 77A? It's long and slender with a long taper and killer olive tip. Beautiful stick. If interested in trying them, PM me your address. I'll send you a pair.
You are awesome to offer Amy, that is the most interesting stick model in their lineup to me with a good length (over 16 1/4" long and only .556) but I dont want to take advantage of your kindness. But you specific recommendation reinforces the idea that I need to try a pair of the LC sticks.

In truth through, my greatest challenge right now is finding a new replacement for my Regal Tip Jazz with a nylon tips. Nylon is as popular as it once was and many models are no longer offered with both options.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I've never had a problem finding them at Musician's Friend. Website indicates that they're in stock. I'm sorta stuck riding out some of the quality inconsistencies just because they're the only stick my dry hands can deal with.
I have dry hands, too, and I can't a good grip on most sticks. I get the Regal Tip finish by using Bull's Eye shellac. Two coats, let the first one dry overnight, then brush on the second coat.

kzoosteve

Reaction score
I’ve switched to the Vic Firth Doubleglaze. Very happy with the results. It’s a lot like the Regals with the exception I can buy at my local GC and weigh the out.

Steve

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I use the doubleglaze now too. I have very dry hands and I need a lacquered stick as I can't grip the stick well if it doesn't have that. I think my only issue with the Vic Firth is that they seen to be chipping up faster than I would like. I was endorsing Rich sticks for a while and I had just got them to lacquer a stick for me that was just perfect. I have never played a stick that was so durable. Those lasted forever. Of course the cynic in me thinks that Vic Firth probably wants me to go through more sticks so I have to buy more. It is a business afterall....

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have tried most of the alternatives mentioned.

One big difference with Regal Tips is in the nylon tip itself...they definitely have more clarity and projection on my cymbals. not to mention the general balance and feel..

I am not a big stick breaker but I like the security of having a couple of back-ups when I gig.