What is going on at Calato / Regal Tip?

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the doubleglaze now too. I have very dry hands and I need a lacquered stick as I can't grip the stick well if it doesn't have that. I think my only issue with the Vic Firth is that they seen to be chipping up faster than I would like. I was endorsing Rich sticks for a while and I had just got them to lacquer a stick for me that was just perfect. I have never played a stick that was so durable. Those lasted forever. Of course the cynic in me thinks that Vic Firth probably wants me to go through more sticks so I have to buy more. It is a business afterall....
I'm with you on the Rich Sticks lacquer. I got some custom sticks from them (basically a thicker Peter Erskine Ride Stick, lacquered) and they last forever. I bought 24 pairs over two years ago, and I think I still have 7 or 8 pairs left.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Regal Tip 2B's for me . Almost identical to Zildjians' Tony Williams sig. sticks at almost half the price .

They're experiencing distribution problems up here in Ottawa - what a drag .

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The story is rather complex. If you're a regal tip lover put out some good vibes for the future of the original drum stick innovator. They kind of need it right now.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always loved Regal Jazz Tips. I like the action and the nylon tip when I'm in the mood for it. I switched to Vic Firths a many years ago for the matched timbre and selection of models and profiles. I now prefer the woody sound of loosely held small wooden tips. Great cymbal action as well. I whipped out the Regal jazz tips yesterday while jamming with a friend and it got me wondering if Vic makes any small nylon tips. I'll look into that.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I’ve switched to the Vic Firth Doubleglaze. Very happy with the results. It’s a lot like the Regals with the exception I can buy at my local GC and weigh them out.

Steve
I find it humorous that Vic Firth finally got smart and started replicating the Regal Tip finish.
I'm old enough to remember when all brands of sticks had a shiny lacquer finish. That changed in the early 80's. Rock drummers whose hands sweated complained that the sticks were slippery. Every drum stick maker except Regal Tip changed to a matte finish.
If you had bone dry hands like I do, the matte finish sticks would fly right out of your hands. I got hip to Bull's Eye shellac and used it on all of my sticks.
It's funny how manufacturers follow the trends of the majority. Just business, I guess, but it leaves the minority to fend for themselves. :occasion5:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always loved Regal Jazz Tips. I like the action and the nylon tip when I'm in the mood for it. I switched to Vic Firths a many years ago for the matched timbre and selection of models and profiles. I now prefer the woody sound of loosely held small wooden tips. Great cymbal action as well. I whipped out the Regal jazz tips yesterday while jamming with a friend and it got me wondering if Vic makes any small nylon tips. I'll look into that.

I rotate my nylon tips through a loose fitting die to take some of the zing out of them .

Last edited:

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I called the factory today and spoke with Michelle Calato.

Apparently they are in the process of re-tooling and have fallen behind with their production of nylon tip sticks...these being signature for their company. I was surprised to learn that the "Combo", "7A", and "Jazz" models were their best sellers. These are all very skinny sticks...definitely suited more for Jazz than Rock or Pop. In any case, they expect to filling orders for 5A nylon and other models in the upcoming weeks.

I feel much more at ease knowing that things are OK at Calato. I also 'beat the bushes' today and found two pair of 5As at a small music store up the road from me, so they will hold me over until they are back on the shelves.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I called the factory today and spoke with Michelle Calato.

Apparently they are in the process of re-tooling and have fallen behind with their production of nylon tip sticks...these being signature for their company. I was surprised to learn that the "Combo", "7A", and "Jazz" models were their best sellers. These are all very skinny sticks...definitely suited more for Jazz than Rock or Pop. In any case, they expect to filling orders for 5A nylon and other models in the upcoming weeks.

I feel much more at ease knowing that things are OK at Calato. I also 'beat the bushes' today and found two pair of 5As at a small music store up the road from me, so they will hold me over until they are back on the shelves.
This basically what I know.

dsop

Reaction score
Apparently they are in the process of re-tooling
I think they announced that somewhere months ago. Major re-tooling and will be using a similar method to Vic Firth with the grinding stones instead of back knife lathes. I don't know if that's a good thing, but time will tell. I'm sure it makes sense cost-wise long term though.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
I think they announced that somewhere months ago. Major re-tooling and will be using a similar method to Vic Firth with the grinding stones instead of back knife lathes. I don't know if that's a good thing, but time will tell. I'm sure it makes sense cost-wise long term though.
Bummer. If I wanted Firths I would play with Firths. RIP to the awesomest sticks I ever had.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bummer. If I wanted Firths I would play with Firths. RIP to the awesomest sticks I ever had.
My understanding is that it wont change the sticks. The old machines were handmade by Joe Calato. They cant be repaired any longer so they needed to upgrade the machines. They apperently are having problems with the nylon tips. The machines need tweaking.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They seem to have been having serious issues for a while.
I’ve been wondering about their quality for a while too. I’ve been using RT for the past 30 years, the finish just works for me and I love the feel, currently using the Brian Tichy model. They haven’t really had any new products in the past several years, I see a lot of warped sticks in my local drum shop and their social media presence is pretty much gone, hope this isn’t an indication of major business problems.

Tanabata

Reaction score
a lot of warped sticks
The wood tip 7A's were, for many years, my dream sticks..... then I couldn't find enough straight ones, and if I was lucky enough to find a few pairs, they'd warp before I used them up. Has to be my favorite stick feel/lacquer ever, but I grew up playing Calato, still use the black rubber brushes.

Firth makes a Paul Leim stick with a nice lacquer...... and now I'm curious to try the double glazed 5A.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My understanding is that it wont change the sticks. The old machines were handmade by Joe Calato. They cant be repaired any longer so they needed to upgrade the machines. They apperently are having problems with the nylon tips. The machines need tweaking.
Michelle mentioned the nylon tips during our conversation. She explained that the big difference between Regal Tip and other nylon tips was that they werecut from stock and not cast...this makes them harder and therefore, a more pronounced response on the cymbals.

As far as the finish goes, I have been using the same finish as Rondrums ... Bullseye shellac. I put it on all of my sticks, regardless of the brand, and it gives them that Regal Tip tackiness. I have dry hands and it allows me to go with a much looser grip.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
As far as the finish goes, I have been using the same finish as Rondrums ... Bullseye shellac. I put it on all of my sticks, regardless of the brand, and it gives them that Regal Tip tackiness. I have dry hands and it allows me to go with a much looser grip.
GW, you might like these. They have a medium-small barrel nylon tip, and a tacky finish that has really a good grip. The first sticks I've found in years that I didn't have apply shellac to. They're 8A's in size, 16 1/8 long. Great jazz sticks, well balanced and great for grooving on the ride cymbal. Also great rebound for left hand stuff.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
GW, you might like these. They have a medium-small barrel nylon tip, and a tacky finish that has really a good grip. The first sticks I've found in years that I didn't have apply shellac to. They're 8A's in size, 16 1/8 long. Great jazz sticks, well balanced and great for grooving on the ride cymbal. Also great rebound for left hand stuff.
... 16 1/8 X .555 is a comfortable size for me. I've never really taken a close look at Zildjian sticks...I should check them out!