What is going on at Calato / Regal Tip?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Anyone ever use the Regal Tip E-sticks?
Those are the nylon tips with the deep grooves in the nylon tips.
Its supposed to give the stick a "woodier" sound.
Do they really work?

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do they really work?
I think they’re a useful alternative. They’re still very much nylon sticks, but they have a slightly softer attack than normal nylons.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do they really work?
Yes I like this very much. I especially like the jazz ew which have a wider tip, like a rock or 5b. The regular jazz e is smaller like the 5a or 7a.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
I’m a fan of the E series Regal Tip Jazz model. They are ‘softer’ than regular nylons but still have a nice predictable, defined ping. I’m surprised that none of the other makers have developed a similar tip. It’s not rocket science.

Last edited:

Ris.Nii

Reaction score
I called the factory today and spoke with Michelle Calato.

Apparently they are in the process of re-tooling and have fallen behind with their production of nylon tip sticks...these being signature for their company. I was surprised to learn that the "Combo", "7A", and "Jazz" models were their best sellers. These are all very skinny sticks...definitely suited more for Jazz than Rock or Pop. In any case, they expect to filling orders for 5A nylon and other models in the upcoming weeks.

I feel much more at ease knowing that things are OK at Calato. I also 'beat the bushes' today and found two pair of 5As at a small music store up the road from me, so they will hold me over until they are back on the shelves.

Does anyone have new information about what is going on at Regal Tip? Are they still in business? It seems impossible to get their products in Europe.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kinda odd but I live 30 minutes from their plant but don't use their sticks. Growing up they were all anybody played here but once I hit my late teens I never saw their stuff around as much, plus they had such small advertising presence I honestly thought they ceased operations at that point.

I remember one of my teachers played their JoJo line of sticks with this huge nylon tip on the end, kind of a ridiculous design looking back.

10 Lug

Reaction score
Just received two pair of Regal Tip classic brushes. I was surprised to see the rubber covering gone and a slippery type of plastic in place. Not what I'm used to. Be advised.

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been addicted to Regal Tips (especially the Jazz model) since the 1960s. I scored a group of the Jazz model (all straight) a while back when my local shop started to let them dwindle and stopped carrying them. To get the 5As, however, I have gone to Guitar Center for their house brand Sound Percussion 5AN, which are surprisingly close in form to the Regals, but without the shiny finish. The key appeal for me with the Regals is the narrow shoulder of the stick for better bounce. Even the Sound Percussions seem to try for this to some degree. And, yes, I do crave the brighter sound on cymbals that the plastic gives.