What is going on in Norwell?

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just sent a 22” K Light back for being almost 3/16” undersized. While looking for a replacement on Reverb. One was listed at 2285g and one at 2974g. I verified these weights with both sellers who confirmed they were correct.

That is a 689g variation in the same cymbal. Now I understand why you Zildjian guys are always asking for weights.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess to me that highlights the individuality of each instrument. Having recently listened to the interview with Paul Francis on the drum history podcast, I can understand that what is considered quality control in the modern era was non existent during the origins of cymbal making. To me the personality of each cymbal is a desirable thing. Historically Paiste was the go to for consistency and Zildjian, where you can find that unique one that is only yours.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When a size is specified in inches it is correct to the nearest 1/2” unless a tolerance is specified. Did you send back many 14” snares cuz none of them are actually 14” in diameter.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just sent a 22” K Light back for being almost 3/16” undersized. While looking for a replacement on Reverb. One was listed at 2285g and one at 2974g. I verified these weights with both sellers who confirmed they were correct.

That is a 689g variation in the same cymbal. Now I understand why you Zildjian guys are always asking for weights.
Well it was a full 22" originally...

But someone wanted a "K Light". They had to take the weight off somehow.

Makes perfect sense to me....

:blink:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
689g is 1 1/2 lbs. There was- always - has been a leeway- to this day (Francis knows the exact figures/limits to each and every model) That sounds like a wide gap May not be.

Whats important - is knowing which one- YOU want. (Which helps if - you know...da weight...(even in a PAiStee
coz' all cymbals weigh something..
It matters when you're pushing them up a hill.
i'e. song.
or thru a road..
(45 minute set)

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Easy fix. They throw it on the Cymbal Stretcher and send it back out. No charge.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
When a size is specified in inches it is correct to the nearest 1/2” unless a tolerance is specified.
This would be acceptable, however, they also put the centimeter size on them as well. That tolerance would be over a whole cm difference. :salute: :dontknow:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Check again. 3/16” equals .47cm so it is still within tolerance.

oops...I wasn't clear.
I was referring to the labeling of the cymbals with the inches and the 1/2" variance tolerances. 1/2" would be over a cm difference and they also label the cymbals with cm.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My fix for that is to buy Sabians instead. :)
(minor) thread derail...

I was talking to a Sweetwater rep about a Paiste cymbal pack. He mentioned the Sabian HHX complex pack.

Man those are some really sweet sounding cymbals...sweet enough to put the Paiste lust on hold for a bit. lol

Return/thread

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 22” K Custom Special Dry Crash is 22 1/8” which makes it challenging to squeeze into a 22” bag.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having done the Zildjian tour once (I'm on the list for 2020)...the cymbal tester doesn't weigh the cymbal or measure it...he just listens to the master for that model and the run of that model to make sure they sound similar enough.

As I write this I wonder why they don't have a machine compare them sonicly (same mechanical hit, mechanical measurements...and while you're at it weigh and measure)...I guess letting your phreak flag fly is good marketing.

And fwiw...i had two Sabian Cloctagons...both said 14"...both were bigger and they were not the same size as each other...but Sabian claims they're not really instruments (lathe off the lacquer and they are).

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
22" k light at 2947 gr? No way. That's most definitely a weighting error. I've had both 22" and 24" versions of that cymbal.
22" was about 2250 gr and 24" almost exactly 3000 gr. And I've played many others.

That weight difference in the same size ride would equal a spectrum from thin ride to medium heavy ride.

I've come across lot of weighting errors when buying. Would say that 20-25% have been weighted wrong, especially if there's also a weight conversion made from pounds to kg.
It happens.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
22" k light at 2947 gr? No way. That's most definitely a weighting error. I've had both 22" and 24" versions of that cymbal.
22" was about 2250 gr and 24" almost exactly 3000 gr. And I've played many others.

That weight difference in the same size ride would equal a spectrum from thin ride to medium heavy ride.

I've come across lot of weighting errors when buying. Would say that 20-25% have been weighted wrong, especially if there's also a weight conversion made from pounds to kg.
It happens.
Possibly but here is the listing on Reverb with the weight clearly listed. It is a drum shop in French Canada. I spoke the owner Rejean and told him I was incredulous that this cymbal weighted 2974g. He assured me it did but would be happy to double check, then reconfirmed that it did, did in fact weight 2974g on the dot.

I can’t say anymore than that.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's not a K Light. It's a different model-- standard K Ride.

Possibly but here is the listing on Reverb with the weight clearly listed. It is a drum shop in French Canada. I spoke the owner Rejean and told him I was incredulous that this cymbal weighted 2974g. He assured me it did but would be happy to double check, then reconfirmed that it did, did in fact weight 2974g on the dot.

I can’t say anymore than that.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a Standard Ride

BTW that 29xx is a nice Dark Medium K 22 weight also
Really I thought this day was shot until this

Last edited:

Latest posts